Buildings & Contents Insurance Discussion

This discussion relates to the following articles

1. Quick Read Four Steps To Cutting Your Bill
2. Full Feature (recommended) Four Steps to Cutting Your Bill

To ask a question, discuss the article or feedback on success/failure just click reply

Addition From Martin

One point I'd really like to make is that you must try and do all FOUR steps of the plan. In this article below Richard put the following feedback through - i thought it a good example of how each step saves.

"This info from Martin could not have come at a better time for us - we had already begun our own time consuming market comparison and had figured that our current Home and Building Insurance provider was not at the lower end of the scale!!

We used the Supermarket website recommended on the feed and up came the sixty or so quotes - some companies better known than others.

Needless to say, we found a much cheaper provider who provided an inital quote of some £130 less than our existing provider. Again - using advice from Moneysavingexpert.com we went into the top 3 sites for a re-quote - another £30 off!!

Then it was time to phone them - the Haggle stage. Having established the background to the company and who the underwriters are a further £25 off !!

You never really know how good any insurance company is until you have to claim - lets hope that stage doesn't arise. "
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• kbeattiekbeattie Forumite
    19 Posts
    And, as usual, Northern Ireland is excluded from the insuresupermarket.com comparison site.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Good point about Northern Ireland - I had written this before but forgot to add the link.

There is a Northern Ireland Buidlings & Contents insurance discussion here

Also it's worth trying the 'non-website' technique for NI, that i mention in the expanded article

Martin
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have recently been quoted an unbelievable price for insurance and am now concerned that the insurance company is not as good as I think it is! How do I go about checking them out?
    177.9K Posts
    Forumite
    A little tip I found by accident a couple of years ago....

We were doing the trek round the Insurance websites putting details; We put the policy holder details in thus : Primary: Me - Male - aged 29; Joint holder: Partner - Female - aged 36; We then generated a premium. We then went back changed the Policy holder details to put me as Joint and my partner as Primary policy holder - selected generate premium and it came back (approx) £20 cheaper........
  • mutley74mutley74 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    does anyone have any tesco home insurance promo codes?
    177.9K Posts
    Forumite
    This info from Martin could not have come at a better time for us - we had already begun our own time consuming market comparison and had figured that our current Home and Building Insurance provider was not at the lower end of the scale!!

We used the Supermarket website recommended on the feed and up came the sixty or so quotes - some companies better known than others.

Needless to say, we found a much cheaper provider who provided an inital quote of some £130 less than our existing provider. Again - using advice from Moneysavingexpert.com we went into the top 3 sites for a re-quote - another £30 off!!

Then it was time to phone them - the Haggle stage. Having established the background to the company and who the underwriters are a further £25 off !!

You never really know how good any insurance company is until you have to claim - lets hope that stage doesn't arise.

Thanks for a good informative site.
    177.9K Posts
    Forumite
    This info from Martin could not have come at a better time for us - we had already begun our own time consuming market comparison and had figured that our current Home and Building Insurance provider was not at the lower end of the scale!!

You never really know how good any insurance company is until you have to claim - lets hope that stage doesn't arise.

Thanks for a good informative site.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Richard - I love your message so much I'm going to put it in the top post - as an example that doing EVERY stage can really work!

Thank you

Martin
  • mutley74mutley74 Forumite
    4K Posts
    just found out that hargreaves lansdown now do house insurance...

http://www.hargreaveslansdown.co.uk/insurance/

not tried it yet, but i have found HL useful for other products in the past. Worth a try at least.
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    7K Posts
    Hi

I have used HL for various things- they do seem to be dipping their toes in other areas. Can't see a list of panel insurers

Tried it out-
    1. to see competition
    2. My insurance is actaully up for renewal anyway

The quote system was a bit long winded for me,
    (similiar to B&B) and quote was not instant- instead emailed later.

Premium was not bad, but way off the premiums I got when I trial ran Moneysupermarket, and allsites were higher than my renewal!
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides