PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• izzwizz_2
    izzwizz_2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    We had this problem in our last house and I found that "Viakal" worked very well. Don't know if you can still buy it?
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fill the toilet bowl with good old vinegar and leave overnight , problem should be solved 1

shammy
  • shazzer22
    shazzer22 Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, i have this problem too, i shall give some of these a go!
  • patgc
    patgc Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried Parazone tablets. Just pop one in the pan last thing at night and hey presto, clean loo in the morning. Got mine from Savers, 99p at the moment they are on offer 8 for the price of 4. I have a thing about loos, and my daughters leaves a lot to be desired, quite a health hazard. She was away last weekend, so when I went to feed the cat dropped a tablet in the pan, and it was sparkling the next day.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually buy the cheapest bottle of vinegar (ie. Tesco value) for about 20p, then do the following:

I push the toilet brush violenly in and out of the bowl so that much of the water flows away. When there's only half of the water left, I pour the vinegar in right to the water mark, and leave it either overnight or for the whole day if I go out. Then I flush it, give it a quick frisk with the brush and then pour in a little bit of bleach, leave it for a few minutes and flush again.

The loo is soooooooo clean and sparkling!
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Lady_Pink
    Lady_Pink Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Lady Pink,

I have merged your thread into a recent one on the same subject as it helps to see all the replies in the same place. The replies are in date order so it helps to read from the beginning of the thread.

Here are some other threads that might help you:

REALLY Stubborn limescale!

Stained Toilet Bowl

Toilet !!

Pink

Thank You - limescale has now gone courtesy of HArpic Limescale remover tablets which are fantastic - if I'd tried them first I'd have saved loads of money, so I hope this tip helps someone else! :T
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i regually clean the toilet. but it has got a build up of limescale at the bottom of the bowl. i have tried coke to no avail. i don't really like using chemical's, as i once saw my cat drinking from it, and my daugther has also put toys down there in the past. ( it was clean water before u ask )

i have vinegar and left some to soak one night, but it didn't work. any i doing something wrong ?
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcr16 wrote:
    i regually clean the toilet. but it has got a build up of limescale at the bottom of the bowl. i have tried coke to no avail. i don't really like using chemical's, as i once saw my cat drinking from it, and my daugther has also put toys down there in the past. ( it was clean water before u ask )

i have vinegar and left some to soak one night, but it didn't work. any i doing something wrong ?

I'm so glad you asked this question, cos I have the same problem. I shall await replies with baited breath (and a grubby looking loo) :rotfl:
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • Ally
    Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=192854&highlight=limescale

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=181221&highlight=limescale

A little light reading!:D

If the search facility works for you (it does play up sometimes!) type "limescale" into the box provided and you'll be presented with a lot more than the above!;)

HTHicon7.gif
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question, cos I have the same problem.:rotfl:

Same here. Thanks for posting the links Ally didn't think of doing a search my self. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure