PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i tried loads of stuff which didnt work so tried the harpic limescale stuff in the blue bottle and its brilliant

pour in leave to soak and voila no limescale

HTH

ooops jus realised u dont like chemicals sorry
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried donning the rubber gloves and using a pumice stone.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    White vinegar is good for limescale. I make 50/50 water and white vinegar and leave to soak for a few hours. Is best think for cleaning shower heads too.

Opps forgot you said you used vinegar before did yu use white vinegar?
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i used to use harpic and yes it is fantastic stuff. i might try the vinigar again , plus the rubber gloves and pumice. then if i still cant shift it i think i'll put harpic down and then go out so it can do it's magic. then come home and flush loo.

thanks everyone.
  • scottygirl_2
    Options
    lidl do a fantastic toilet cleaner tablet called wc tabs for£1.19 a box just drop into bottom of bowl and leave overnight, the toilet really sparkles afterwards.you may need a couple of goes if limescale is bad but these things are just brill
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya jcr16. I've merged this thread with the older one that Ally found for you. It will make it easier for people doing a search later on and keeps the suggestions all together.

I hope this helps.

For what it's worth, I'd push as much of the water out of the pan as I could with a toilet brush, then soak kitchen roll in vinegar and pad it round where the limescale is, leave it over night, remove it in the morning and be prepared for some elbow grease. It worked under the rim of mine. (You might need to soften the kitchen roll with a little water in the morning to loosen it.)

Oh and don't put boiling water down it incase it cracks the pan.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably not a good idea to flush too much kitchen roll down the loo or you could end up with blocked pipes, best to remove it and put in the dustbin, better safe than sorry.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree hardpressed. I did say so in my post, but possibly not very clearly.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • nooksky
    nooksky Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Please can anyone help!!!! We have 3 toilets on our house and they all have limescale on them, I have tried to scrub it of but does not do much.
    Can anyone help with some tip on how to get rid of it as it is really annoying :mad:

Any help would be a great help.

Thanking you in advance.
    *Don't let the b******s get you down ;) *
  • mcwarre
    Options
    Use some vinegar on it. Acid neutralises limescale. May need to soak some toilet paper in it and place on limescale (and leave overnight) so it has longer to attack it. Then then just a mild scrub and rinse ;)
    "Success is not to be measured by the position someone has reached in life, but the obstacles he has overcome while trying to succeed." Booker T. Washington

The Official "Why does everyone have 'Official member of....club'?" which tend to be stupid/irrelevant Society. Member No 1 (I am aware of the irony btw)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure