PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Prjrobinson
    Options
    Have you tried a denture cleaning table left overnight in the bowle
    Worked for us
  • paa
    paa Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Try the tabs for keeping washing machines free of calcium. I buy the Lidl cheapies and use them once a month. Just pop one in and leave it for as long as poss. Does the job - so to speak!
  • hlsathaven
    Options
    Using strong bleach may well de-colourize the stained deposits on porcelain if left on long enough, and it will look fine, but I doubt it will remove the limescale (feel it afterwards and you'll realise the scale is still there. To get rid of limescale, the only really effective option, apart from physical removal using some sort of abrasive material, is to use an acidic chemical. Strong vinegar (acetic acid) works given time, but for the fastest results, albeit with an element of risk to one's person(!), and some risk to the porcelain, is to use something like hydrochloric acid (HCl). However, in the UK, I doubt you would be able to get hold of this legally without a lot of hassle.
  • Kez0811
    Options
    Steradent! Honestly I have tried everything. Harpic, toilet duck, vinegar, coke, nothing has shifted it, until Steradent. 10 tablets in the bowl, after 2 hours you can see a visible difference. Put 10 more in and leave it over night. Works like magic! I'm so happy :D
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The aldi home brand toilet limescale remover is as good as the leading brand.
  • Geoffers159
    Options
    You need a stronger acid than the usual vinegar to get rid of this hard scale. I successfully used Sika Concrete Remover which is 20% hydrochloric (or muriatic) acid. It costs about £11 for 5 litres from B&Q. Note that some concrete removers or brick cleaners are not acid based. Remove existing water from the pan, pour in the remover to cover the deposits with some to spare and leave for an hour. CO2 will bubble off. Flush away with a bucket of water to leave a clean pan. The acid must be handled carefully - see supplier's instructions on the bottle.
  • saro7nmo
    saro7nmo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I find it helps massively to heat the water in the basin. As mentioned above, using acids is the simplest answer - the stronger the acid, the faster it will work. Bear in mind any product you add is diluted by the water so the solution can be weak if only small amount of product used. I add hot water from the tap or kettle, approx 2 litres, add product, stir with toilet brush, then leave overnight. If not gone by morning, re-do it. Solution loses power as limescale dissolve so flushing the toilet and starting again with fresh product is super-helpful. Urine left in the basin i.e. unflushed toilet, contributes to the urine scale, especially if toilet is unflushed overnight due to not wanting to risk waking up the children..!
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I've been putting a goodly-sized scoop of bio laundry powder in the bowl & leaving it for as long as possible then quick swish with the brush just before flushing :T
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jue wrote: »
    I recently had a limescale problem, bought some lemon toilet cleaner from Lidl and the limescale came off following an overnight soak. It's really great stuff, thick and smells nice too. :)

What was tis called please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport