PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    The most full on, dynamite, way to clean a really disgusting toilet is with 'spirits of salts' from the hardwear shop (It is dilute hydrocloric acid). Pour about 1/3 of a bottle (very gingerly) into the toilet wearing rubber golves, and be careful not to breath the fumes. Close the lid and leave it to soak for several hours, or overnight if you can.

Flush the loo, after it has soaked and give it a quick scrub with the toilet brush and flush again. It should be restored to pristine condition. It's what builders use to clean loo's when they have finished doing up houses (I am told!) No scrubbing or any damage to the loo. It costs about £2.99 a bottle.

Regards

Katieowl
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually use harpic type heavy duty toilet cleaner, bought a new one Harpic active cleaning gel (peach and jasmine) it is absolute crap (ha ha, just a bit of toilet humour) I tried using coke but that did not do much either, so tried malt vinear and it's worked a treat
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    We got back from 2 weeks on holiday to find a lovely clean loo after it had soaked in vinegar all that time(it didnt dissolve the toilet :D ).Best its been for ages.
  • randy_4
    randy_4 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    How on earth do you get rid of it?

I have tried bleach, vinegar, toilet flusher thingy's, scrubbing...

There must be a way :eek:

Please help?
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cola - the full fat stuff not the sugar free :)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • randy_4
    randy_4 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Really?!

Just pour in a litre or so?

How long should I leave it in?
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    Cola - the full fat stuff not the sugar free :)
    Is that with or without the water in the bog. 1a_y_deadpan.gif
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm using vinegar at the moment to remove limescale in my loo. I am pouring bucket loads into the cistern, but then it is FULL of limescale it's shocking.

Try half a bottle of coke if your loo is really bad, pour it in overnight and leave like you would do bleach. It can take a while, especially if it looks like mine!!

x
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Options
    for really stubborn stuff get Spirit of Salts from the chemist or good hardwear store, be very careful handling it, its acid, and open a window as fumes come off when it starts working - but it is very good stuff!
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    I used to have this problem, until we bought a water softener. Its not the type which your water filters through, its a coil which wraps around your cold water inlet pipe and it has an electric plug for the mains. It works by changings the ions in the water. It lasts at a guess for about 10 yrs-we've had ours about 5 yrs. It cost about £40 but I think they are cheaper now. Its absolutely excellent and I no longer pour ANYTHING down my loo. Far better than all the nasty chemicals, costs only pennies each week to run and has more than paid for itself as I used to spend a fortune down the loo(not spend a penny). I got it mailorder-not sure where from.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure