PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't expect poor DD to hold it in all night! :rotfl:

But I agree, vinegar does a better job in mine too.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sportY wrote:
    I've heard about coca cola - but does it really work???

Yes! Well it did on mine - use the cheapest cola you can get and leave it in there as long as poss, flush and watch the limescale disappear (doesn't do to think what this stuff can do to your own insides :eek: ) then quickly clean with something nice smelling.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    You can't expect poor DD to hold it in all night! :rotfl:

But I agree, vinegar does a better job in mine too.

:D No! but if its just a wee then it might as well not be flushed till morning with all that vinegar in there. I usually dont put it in until 11.30 when they should be asleep but they are teens and nocturnal.
    We go away tomorrow morning so I just hope I remember to pour some in before going out of the door ,it'll be the longest its ever been soaked for!
    I just hope I dont come home to find the loo has disolved completely :eek:
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    [TIMER = 23:20]

HEY CULPEPPER!!!

PUT SOME VINEGAR IN THE LOO ! ! !

[/TIMER]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To get rid of limescale around the rim of the toilet, I soaked wads of toilet paper in vinegar and padded it round the rim. It kept the vinegar where it was needed and only needed a tiny bit of elbow grease afterwards.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Twinkle_Mitchell
    Options
    Aparently, Steradent (denture cleaning tablets) put down the loo and left for a while do the trick!
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bossyboots wrote:
    A warning on these ones you hang over the side of the toilet. They can get knocked into the pan and flushed away. There is then a real risk of your pipe getting blocked.

This happened to us and we were lucky it was close enough for us to get to. A bit further and we would have been in real trouble.

That happened to us. We had to get a dyno rod type thing in to shift it!! It's put me off using them now. Might give the WD40 a go though as our limescale is mostly under the rim. Thanks.
  • sal
    sal Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just moved into a house with an old enamel bath. Looked great when we viewed, until we moved the bath mat.

There's loads of rust and limescale marks that I just can't shift. I hadn't budgeted to change the bathroom for a good while so I need to make it presentable for now. I've seen bath re-enamelling kits on the net and wondered if anyone had had any success with them?

Until then, I'm thinking of trying one of the above remedies. Any ideas on how to treat the bath?

sal
    you can't take it with you...
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was a thread which mentioned bath enamelling kits and the opinion was they're expensive and don't always give good results. Of course, experiences vary.

Try soaking sheets of kitchen towell with neat vinegar and "wallpapering" the affected areas. Once they're wet and stuck on you can keep them that way using an old spray bottle with vinegar in. It'll take a bit of time, several applications, but if you give it a go with a non-scratch pan scrub between sessions you should start seeing a difference quite soon.
  • Baz-Bee
    Baz-Bee Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Generally bleach is an alkali and therefore will have little affect on limescale other than to whiten it. To get rid you need to use an acid based formulation. That is why vinegar, lemon juice and the like work so well as they neutralise the limescale. Similarly that is why colas also do the trick as they normally have a good dose of tartaric and/or citric acids in their ingredients
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure