PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stained Toilet Bowl

Options
Sorry for not such a pleasant title to this thread.

Wondered if anyone can help. My mum had a tennant in a flat she rents and they did not leave the place in a good state.

I'm going to help her clean it, but the toilet bowl looks black - goodness knows how it got in that state, he was only in the flat a few months!!

Any suggestions on how it can be cleaned? I remeber seeing something on "How Clean Is Your House" but cannot remeber what they said!

Thank you
Became debt free in 2007 after having £15k of debt. Have been a stranger to MSE and now want to get back into my old MSE habits and save, save, save

Comments

• tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    Bicarbonate of soda that made into a paste and smeared on is good for cleaning toilets
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Get as much of the water out as you can, then pour in coca cola!!!! Leave overnight then flush, most of it should go!!!! Can also use a mixture of vinegar and bicarb to clean it.
  • spalding
    spalding Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Coke get some cheap bottles from a supermarket put in in the bowl leave over night then rinse did the job when I moved into my less than clean new house!!
  • forsya
    forsya Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick response, that's great, will try it out.

We are going to clean this weekend!
    Became debt free in 2007 after having £15k of debt. Have been a stranger to MSE and now want to get back into my old MSE habits and save, save, save
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    soda crystals also work amazingly well.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • Loretta
    Loretta Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    Any of the suggestions on here will work but the main thing to do is to get the water out of the bottom of the loo so that whatever you are using is not diluted. Get a mop and a wringy out bucket and get the water out that way, always leave things to work, overnight or repeat the process if that has not cleared it completely, there is no need to scrub, put on the rubber gloves, I can do anything if I have the gloves on (I do the Christmas turkey this way, new ones of course). If this does not work post again and I will tell you a very sure way of doing it if it is really bad and the above suggestions don't work.
    Loretta
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If all else fails you can maybe try "Spirit of Salt". Its potent stuff and must be handled carefully but works absolute wonders. I put it in the bowl when its still full of water, leave it for a couple of hours and then flush. Once its rinsed away get the brush in there and give it a scrub, should come up good as new. It dissolves the limescale, you can see it bubbling away.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spirit of Salts really does work when all else fails.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    Spirit of Salt .... havent heard it called that in a hundred years or so ;)

Nowadays its know as Hydrochloric Acid ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure