PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I clean a manky toilet bowl?

Options
HELP!!!! :eek:

I'm going to stay at a friend's house over the bank holiday weekend while she's away. I'm looking forward to the free holiday:T, but less so the avocado toilet bowl that's stained dark,:eek:dark, brown.

I know I'm not going to be too comfortable using it & from trying to give it a quick scrub visiting them the last couple of times, I know that elbow grease alone won't cut it.

Please, please, please, does anyone have any suggestions about how I go about this?

Diva:)
"This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."

Comments

• Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Just trying to think what Kim and Aggie would use...umm white vinegar and Bi-carb!!

Personally I would use bleech and Vikal, but not together (Dangerous gasses released), put on a pair of marigolds, use the Vikal first using a knife of scraper of some description, also VIM or AJAX, whatever it's called now, is good. When sort of clean flush a couple of times then use bleech to finish off, and leave bleech for a few hours before you flush again.

Lovely job!! Best of luck

D
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=78930

Similar thing being discussed here. Might get some pointers?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Believe it or not cheap fizzy cola poured down and left to do its stuff for a while can get rid of a lot of the marks (makes you wonder what it does to your insides doesn't it? :eek: ) After that just put a bit of bleach in to make it smell nice.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index, listed under toilets...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A pint of strong soda crystal solution using warm (not hot and most definitely NOT boiling) water chucked down the loo and left overnight or while you're out during the day might help too.

The toilet is probably just old - I expect your friend isn't too proud of it, but is a bit embarrassed to say anything.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    In the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index, listed under toilets...
    :o I went to the wrong index...

Will try the vinegar or cola route & report back later.

thanks everyone!

Diva :)
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The best limescale remover on the market (in my opinion) is Harpic 100% limescale remover. If you leave it in overnight, it should shift all but the most stubbornest of limescale. You could present her with a bottle saying it was a BOGOF!

The gunkiest toilets ever are best treated to a dose of Spirit of Salts, however the fumes are very hazardous.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    larmy16 wrote:
    The best limescale remover on the market (in my opinion) is Harpic 100% limescale remover. If you leave it in overnight, it should shift all but the most stubbornest of limescale. You could present her with a bottle saying it was a BOGOF!

The gunkiest toilets ever are best treated to a dose of Spirit of Salts, however the fumes are very hazardous.
    Problem is that it doesnt seem like limescale, more like it's ingrained or badly stained with youknowwhat

bleurgh
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vinegar. Lots of it - overnight. Result - perfection :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • beadysam
    beadysam Posts: 587 Forumite
    Options
    I too have a loo problem! we moved into our house and had loads of work done ripping out 30 years of neglect. The downstairs loo was in the middle of the building site and ignored for months. Hubby cleaned it up really well with caustic soda, but then builders poured something down it that had fragments of metal in it and didin't flush it away. Some months later ( we didn't use the downstairs very much during building) we noticed rust stains on the porcelain that we cannot get rid of. Any ideas...
    We've tried cola, caustic sida, bleach, soda crystals etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport