PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How do I clean a manky toilet bowl?

Options

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about a special rust cleaner - I can't remember what it is called.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a thread which includes removing rust stains from a bath...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=765085

..from about post #7
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I get rust stains on my white ceramic sink a slice of lemon over the offending patch usually clears it away. It should work on a loo, as they are made of similar material. You might have to leave lemon slices assembled over the stained bit overnight, if you can get the bowl dried out first.

This advice was from an American book and was simply for a white sink - my last sink was white and a composite material - it worked on that too.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Vinegar. Lots of it - overnight. Result - perfection :)
    Another question...malt, cider, rasberry?!?

:confused:
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Malt or white vinegar.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please try the Spirit of Salts. Believe me, it works on the most truly horrifying toilets ever! About £1.95, you can get it from ironmongers. (Robert Dyas stock it too).

Before you go to bed the first night, do your wee :), then holding your nose and not breathing, pour about a quarter of a bottle down said filthy beast, leave and close door.

In the morning, you will probably be quite delighted at the results. Brush away all horrors. If there are more layers, repeat procedure following night.

You may have to use a Po during the night :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• LondonDiva
    Options
    larmy16 wrote:
    Please try the Spirit of Salts. Believe me, it works on the most truly horrifying toilets ever! About £1.95, you can get it from ironmongers. (Robert Dyas stock it too).

Before you go to bed the first night, do your wee :), then holding your nose and not breathing, pour about a quarter of a bottle down said filthy beast, leave and close door.

In the morning, you will probably be quite delighted at the results. Brush away all horrors. If there are more layers, repeat procedure following night.

You may have to use a Po during the night :)
    I'm arriving a day & 1/2 before my friend, so will try
    *a bottle of malt vinegar overnight
    *if that fails, I'll bung in some of the above
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Our bog wasn't terrible, but a patch of limescale had been progressively growing out from the bottom of the u-bend, and it was the nasty brown colour you describe_pale_. Nonetheless it is still mostly limescale, and needs to be treated accordingly- so a big glug of spirit vinegar in the bowl as I left for work, followed by five minutes of hard scrubbing with the brush when I got back sorted it out a treat:).
  • LondonDiva
    Options
    I arrived to find that the toilet suite wasn't avocado, but my mind had somehow confused manky & avocado :confused: This coming from someone who does like them!

I got there & gave the best of morrison's malt vinegar few hours to work and went at it with a brush and a prayer.

Results were really fab!!!!!! :grouphug: thanks to everyone who chipped in with ideas, suggestions etc.:grouphug: The caked brown stuff went, but then I was left with a ring of limescale round the edge that I decided to come back to.

unfortunately, I then had some rapid priority adjustments which involved being sidetracked by cleaning the kitchen & rest of the bathroom for several hours.:o

My friend rang me to say that she was amazed at how immaculate the house was when she got back- but it's really hard to tell someone that it took a good 3-4 hours scrubbing before you could even think to use the loo or cook a meal in their kitchen. :cool:So I didn't!

have been feeling up the bicep muscle & I think if I squint hard enough from the left diagonal, I can see muscle definition! - may give up the gym & do more housework instead.

:D:DDiva:D:D:
  • Badgergal
    Options
    That sounds great! did you just pour the vinegar down or did you bail the water out first?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport