PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Clean Toilet

Options
Embarrasing one but , how do you remove stubborn stains from a toilet ?
Bleach not working at all !

Comments

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'd like to know how you remove limescale from a toilet below the waterline?
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • lush_walrus
    Options
    I saw on How clean is your house last night, but dont know if it truely works...Coke for stains and a mixture of coke and a scrub with a pumice stone for limescale.

Worth a try, seemed to do the trick in TV world!
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of ideas on here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=79731&

It also has links to previous threads and Squeaky's index on Toilets and cleaning.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I descaled my toilet last night and it's quite easy. You have to remove all the water from the toilet bowl using a bicycle pump so that it's completely empty. Then boil a whole bottle of white vinegar in and saucepan and tip it down the toilet, so that the toilet bowl is full of boiling vinegar. Then you have to leave it for at least 4 hours. I usually do it just before I go on holiday or away for a weekend and then it's in there for at least 4 days without being flushed. Then the limescale just comes away from the inside of the bowl. Also when you first pour the vinegar in the loo it will make your bathroom smell like a chip shop, but after that smell has gone it kills any other bad smells that might be in the bathroom too.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've used cola and yes it really did work! :D
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    I saw (on how clean is your house) a useful toilet cleaner.

2tbs baking soda
    2tbs vinegar
    2 cups of water
    2tsp tea tree oil.

Leave it for an hour and put in a spray container. I would use neat vinegar straight on to limescale though.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Iona_Penny
    Options
    I agree taht you need to remove water from the toilet bowl but I have never used a bicycle pump!!!!! Use toilet brush to 'push' as much as possible around the bend then I use a sponge to soak up rest with repeated squeezings.

When empty I use a descaler SPRAY to target all areas, leave and then scrub by hand with a scourer.(works on other blemishes too) I live in a hard water area and only clean my loo with descaler and bleach.

To stop other 'staining' hardening on (grim I know!) I'm sorry but the best method I have found is after flushing take piece of loo roll and wipe it away, flush again and WASH HANDS REALLY WELL (if you heard Jeremy Vine at lunch time you'll know how!!)
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Glad cola works just as well as coke as it much cheaper lol
    think ill wait until tescos as its pretty cheap in there i think?
    I live near a iceland but they sell virgin cola....expect more expensive ?
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Iona_Penny wrote:
    I agree taht you need to remove water from the toilet bowl but I have never used a bicycle pump!!!!!

Sorry, I saw it on How Clean Is Your House, tried it and it worked.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • albreda
    albreda Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    could u not just weight the ballcock down and flush to empty the pan?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure