PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Clean Toilet

Options

Comments

• Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could just buy a limescale remover product ( it has to say 100% limescale ) :)

Just managed to clean a rusty rim from under the toilet seat by scrubing it with vinegar. Work very well - tried to use bleach before but it just would'nt shift.

Then started going vingar frenzy, so I started removing the limescale of electric toothbrush, around taps/shower, then cleaned my my bathroom walls tilles, bathtub, mirrors and just pratically everywhere there except floor at 11 in the night. Love the thing!!!
  • bj-sailaway
    Options
    Sorry to be thick, but how do you emplty the loo with a bicycle pump?
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Dip the tip of the pump in water and pull the pump handle 'outwards'
    The pump handle has to be pushed in before you dip it in water otherwise the toilet water will blow rashberries at you face!!
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    albreda wrote:
    could u not just weight the ballcock down and flush to empty the pan?
    I was just thinking the same thing :D
    Bulletproof
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Didn't K&A use borax too on a manky toilet in one of the programmes. They sucked the water away with the pump and then spread it around the inside of the bowl and then left it for a couple of hours.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I descaled my toilet last night and it's quite easy. You have to remove all the water from the toilet bowl using a bicycle pump so that it's completely empty. Then boil a whole bottle of white vinegar in and saucepan and tip it down the toilet, so that the toilet bowl is full of boiling vinegar. Then you have to leave it for at least 4 hours. I usually do it just before I go on holiday or away for a weekend and then it's in there for at least 4 days without being flushed. Then the limescale just comes away from the inside of the bowl. Also when you first pour the vinegar in the loo it will make your bathroom smell like a chip shop, but after that smell has gone it kills any other bad smells that might be in the bathroom too.

I found just room temp vinegar did the job fine. I'd be worried about putting boiling liquid down the loo incase it cracked it?! (Although obviously this didn't happen to you so maybe I'm a bit over cautious!) :D
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Testee
    Testee Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Soda crystals are good for cleaning out the loo - just tip some into the pan and leave overnight.
  • mandirinmonroe
    Options
    best way to clean toilet is to remove water using tiolet brush, get your gloves on and try some cream cleanser and scrub with a cloth. next flush tiolet and put some goood old bleac in and use tiolet brush and give a good rub and leave for a few hours and if it doesn,t work ,do it again and again. that is the advice of a proffessional cleaner.
    Goooooo with the Flowwwwww
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you have to clean it on the spot, as you do, yes.

At home I'm lazy. A good dollop of vinegar into the water overnight, and quick swizz with the bogbrush the next morning and it's all as good as new.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems like vinegar is used for everything :D
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories