We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Barclaycard CSV exports

In anticipation of the closure of the Barclaycard Online Servicing web facility on 19th August, I decided to investigate the current Barclaycard facilities in Barclays Online Banking.

As a long-time user of the CSV export facility of transactions, I tried the facility on the Barclays site.

Not only are the columns in a different sequence, the amount field is truncated to an integer, so that the decimal component is lost, effectively making the facility useless for accurate analysis.

I find it amazing that this problem has not previously been reported and fixed.

So far a telephone conversation with customer services proved fruitless and a letter produced the sentence "In reference to your remarks may I confirm that it has been noted as hopefully these issue (sic) will not persist".

Any suggestions as a way of getting the problem recognised and dealt with gratefully received.

«13

Comments

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Formal complaint but really you can't force them to fix it if they don't want to!

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I know it doesn't help but who, in the name of all that is logical, decided to truncate that numeric value?

    Basic bit of any interface design, always pass as much data as possible - let the recipient decide what to do if too much data.

  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 967 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Excel can often mangle numeric data in a CSV, it's a hideous program and I've learned to hate it.

    I'd first be opening the CSV in a text editor to see what the actual raw data in the file shows. If it's truncated there, then it's the bank's fault.

    If you are using Excel, does opening the same CSV in Google Sheets also show the issue?

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Can you post a fragment of the CSV in raw text form (removing anything personal)?

    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • spreadsheetmad
    spreadsheetmad Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 11 August at 5:04PM

    I can confirm these observations about the CSV download facility on Barclay's replacement web page for Barclay Card. I spoke with a customer service advisor who took note of my observations and confirmed that the new web pages for Barclay Card customers are very much "work in progress". He recommended that I use the Barclay App which I duly signed up for. I can't find a CSV download in the App. I realise that wanting data in CSV format is a little on the geeky side, but it is always a shame when a facility which worked perfectly well is removed in the name of progress.

    For sausage_time, here is a typical line from a CSV download:
    20/07/2026,************XXXX,68.00,Purchase,"ASDA SUPERSTORE Asda Superstore"

  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 August at 5:38PM

    As there are no other numeric fields, I assume the transaction value is 68.00

    If that's the case, then that value isn't truncated, so something else is going on.

    Excel, for example, can be configured to not display decimal places...

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I assume from the OP that the transaction isn't 68.00, and any pennies have been lost in the output. It's as though the Excel INT() function or similar has been applied to the value. As @crossbar999 notes - useless.

    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • spreadsheetmad
    spreadsheetmad Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 11 August at 9:01PM

    The transaction was for £68.89. This is definitely not an Excel issue. Barclays are truncating the transactions. I've looked at the CSV file with a text editor.

  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 August at 10:14PM

    That's rounded down, not truncated. Or not giving the decimals at all, and padding the field with 0's. Or something…

    But either way, it's a very poor show. Do they offer any other formats? What do they show?

    If it were me, I'd put in a proper complaint, although I guess there's always the possibility that they'll simply remove the CSV option altogether - probably no big deal, as they're of no real use as is.

  • Thank you all for your comments and as Barkin reports, the values are rounded down and not truncated as I originally posted (I hadn't looked at a text version of the file at that point). A mailshot email today incudes:

    "Before closing Barclaycard online servicing, we will be replacing it with an alternative way to access features you may currently use. This will be through Barclays Online Banking, a secure service you can access with a web browser."

    Not long now to have to wait and see.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.