We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread
Comments
-
Nationwide RS early closure ….
I'm not sure if I'm adding anything new to the recent debate … but I'll add my 2d worth of recent experience anyway!
I asked NWide CS by phone if I could close the RS earlier than maturity date of 28th Sept, and open a new one the next day after I closed it. No problem was the answer (with the usual proviso that the RS was still available at the interest rate I wanted on the day I intended to open it). This early closure suited me because of a holiday spanning the 28th, and I could close on the 23rd and sort the new RS and feeder SO by the 24th.
Everything went as planned, closed old RS on 23rd and opened new RS on 24th. No mention of any restrictions regarding extending the date until after the original maturity date by CS!
How often do we hear on here about contradictory "advice" from CS agents let alone AI or other new-fangled "smart" experts? Frequently?
Compiler of the RS League Table.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6670416/how-many-regular-savers-do-you-have-the-league-table/p15 -
Interest payments of £27.02, £163.05 and £136.91 giving a total of £5330.98, but of course that's dependent on when deposits were made and for how much.
2 -
I have just asked Claude AI about how I should best protect a £100000 lump sum from inflation over the next 5 to 10 years and it has suggested that I invest in NS&I Index Linked Savings Certificates, which haven't been on sale since 2011; so I'm no more impressed with it than I was with ChatGPT - which I wouldn't quote as an authoritative source about anything.
7 -
This is funny
4 -
Nationwide - can't see anything to suggest that in the T&Cs myself. And ChatGPT (not that I would trust it) is giving me a different answer to yours, i.e. that you should be able to open a new one a day after closing.
3 -
Melton BS Interest, Closure and Transfer Woes
I requested closure of the GGG IA account and transfer to nominated which was accepted at 13:15 today. It's approaching midnight and I haven't received the £5K+ but have received an interest payment of ~£116.
I think much manual work has been done on this whole matter and it is probably a good idea to check all the numbers carefully.0 -
Suffolk BS Fixed Rate RS Maturity
There are two types of accounts, online and branch.
With online, you can give maturity instructions online. If you request transfer to nominated, the account will be closed a day early so that you receive the money into nominated the day after maturity, in this case 1st October. Even though closed a day early, you will receive interest including the maturity day, so you don't lose out.
With branch, you can provide maturity instructions on the form sent to you by post. I didn't do this but sent a secure message early on the maturity day and called also on the maturity day. In this instance the secure message has been accepted but it may not be in every case. The account will close at the end of the maturity day and the funds received into nominated 2 days later, so 2nd October in this case.
Furthermore, to the best of CS knowledge there are no new RS imminent. And the rate for the next usual release. end Oct / Nov. is very likely to be 5%A again.
1 -
Melton RS maturity
Does that equate with what others are getting?
My balance stood at £5,189.09 as of 29/9/26 — £24.74 in interest was credited to the maturity instant saver on 30/9/26, and this evening I received £116.14 in interest to my nominated bank a/c. So a total of £5,329.97.
2 -
Ecology Regular Saver 6%
Just had my funds returned £200 have anybody else had this happen?
Said l had exceeded the monthly allowance, which l hadn't. The last payment was 3rd Sep. Should l try again or leave it until after 9ish tomorrow?Maybe the reason was the funds were sent a few minutes after midnight and l usually send around 6-9am
0 -
CHASE NEW RS.
As a bit of insomniac I sometimes check things in the early hours, my Chase interest on the £1k usually comes through at about 12.30am (£2ish for what its worth).
No sign as of yet so I'm wondering if we will have to contact CS because maybe they AREN'T counting the regular saver in their calculations.
EDIT - just like Mr Benn's shopkeeper it has magically appeared.
So yes all good.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

