We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…632633635637638…646

Comments

  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm not entirely sure about this. In my experience if you close a Nationwide RS early, it lets you open a new RS the next day. My Flex RS was due to mature in September but I closed mine in July and was able to open a new one the next day without issues so mine certainly wasn't blocked till the day my last RS was due to mature.

  • thefrank
    thefrank Posts: 294 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 7:24PM

    I can confirm what Bridlington1 just said. I closed more than once my Nwide RS and I was always able to open the new one the day after without any problem. Last time I did was yesterday and 20 minutes ago i opened a new one :-) and am getting ready to send my second deposit as early as tomorrow. I did the same (end of the month opening) 3 times during the last year

  • SloughSally
    SloughSally Posts: 85 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 7:38PM

    I closed on 28th , my maturity was the 29th, tried to re open a new RS on the 29th was refused, stating I already have one, although the previous acc had been cleared from my accounts summary. Phoned and asked and they said I had to wait until after my previous one was due to expire (yesterday). Tried again today and all good opened in two minutes. ChatGPT also confirms this to be the case.

  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 4,569 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I asked for closure of the Melton IA in the end. It took longer than the 2 hours posted upthread, but I needed the funds tomorrow and didn’t want to risk them disabling the closure option and then taking several weeks over the interest as Darlington did. Funds now received, which surprised me with it being after 5pm. Would be happy for them to pay the remainder of the interest into my nominated account or either of my two remaining Melton accounts. I hadn’t submitted maturity instructions and would not have done so if I had.


    2.75% Nationwide EA (internal transfer from nominated account) overnight is better than the 1% Melton would have been paying.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'd given up on Melton for today, but the proceeds of my account closure have just landed in my bank account, just in time to get them earning interest before cut-off.

  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 4,569 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Another £74.82 just landed in my nominated account from Melton - the rest of the interest? My balance was never lower than £2,500 since they last paid interest, closing balance £2,800.

  • SloughSally
    SloughSally Posts: 85 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    if you mean closing your existing Nationwide Flex Regular Saver before its 12-month maturity and then trying to open a fresh one, Nationwide’s current terms indicate you cannot use this as a way to reset the 12-month account.


    Taken from ChatGPT and Nationwides T&Cs , I will leave it at that.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.