We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread
Comments
-
I have done this with many Regular Saver accounts with many different financial businesses; thus increasing the balance "early". Open the accounts on the 31st of month 1 and double the deposit on the 1st of month 2. 😃
Rob1 -
Lloyds club monthly saver
Happy to confirm that I closed my 6.25% club saver yesterday and the option to open the new 8% one was available today. Opened in 10 seconds. All expected interest from the old account was credited immediately upon closure yesterday.
4 -
Potential new announcements in the wake of Santander/LBG
Nice as it would be in one sense, I could really do with them waiting until at least August 1st. The last few days have played havoc with my cashflow!
😂
£6000 in 20232 -
Same with me.
Llyods banking group have made a "dogs breakfast" of this BUT they have achieved the main aim of getting to the top of the comparison tables.Rob1 -
The Halifax website clearly states that they are not accepting applications from new customers. I think I'll listen to what the bank themselves say above what you randomly "reckon" might be true!
Yes, it would be more accurate if they updated every single set of T&C's on their website, but it's quite obvious why they didn't…
It seems you've misunderstood. You claimed "The terms and conditions are irrelevant." However T&C's for financial products are never "irrelevant".
The T&C's, Summary Box, and associated documents are the basis of the offer by the financial institution to the prospective customer, and if accepted by both parties would form the basis of the contract between them.
I didn't "reckon" anything, and I'm not sure why you put that in quotes as it wasn't a word I used.
The words I did post are from an FCA rule (PRIN 2.1.1). Banks regulated by the FCA have to follow these rules, it isn't optional.
I don't know what reason you mean by "quite obvious", but whatever it is that is wrong. E.g. Halifax cannot say "We're in the middle of rebranding so we don't want to comply with the Rules".
They are offering a product and within the Summary Box clearly stating "You can open and manage your account:... New customers open online only" so if they have some other policy that no new customer applications will be accepted then either that policy needs to be changed, or the product information needs to be updated so it is no longer unclear/unfair/misleading.
…and good luck if you think anyone will remotely care about your complaint...
Thanks for the good luck wishes, but again you seem to misunderstand. I didn't say anything about making a complaint - why would I? As an existing customer I had no problem opening the new account.
What I did say is "some patience until Halifax sort out their problem would be a good way to go". If, after people have been patient, it is confirmed that Halifax won't allow new customers to apply then those who may have been misled by the Halifax Summary Box might want to consider making a complaint, but in my view that is something probably best left for a while until things are clearer.
11 -
…and here is a new one (if not already discussed in the past XXX pages)
If have a standard LLoyds Classic account, but I am only given the option to open a CLUB lloyds regular saver account and not the standard regular saver account. Of course I'm not eligible to open the club Lloyds regular account…
0 -
I don’t have a Club Lloyds Current Account, only the Classic account, and when I searched for the 8% monthly Saver yesterday I was presented with the Club Lloyds version only. I opened it in seconds and immediately funded it. It’s still there today so must be open to all now.
Digital Payback
The National Lottery : A tax on those who aren’t good at maths.5 -
BOS, Halidax & Lloyds
Pecunianonolet we've decided to close your new Savings Account, based on information provided by you, credit reference agencies, and or fraud prevention agencies. Please destroy any letters, cards or PINs you receive. We'll send you a letter with next steps if there's a credit or debit balance. Please call 0345 835 8020 if you've any questions, quoting reference 195699549. We're here Monday to Friday 08:30-17:30, and Saturday 09:00-12:30pm.
Received 3 texts this morning for BOS, Halifax, and Lloyds. Wasn't expecting anything else as they already did that in April 2025 for new Lloyds Bank regular savers when the previous ones matured. No idea what issues they have with me when I have literally no other issues with any of the other high street banks, all credit reference agencies provide me with their artificial scores that all show excellent and my long standing 30k stoozing balance was zeroed and paid back over the last years with a large junk repaid in Jan and Feb. As per an earlier post, I was totally expecting this and it was worth the risk due to personal circumstances so not a big deal for me at all.
11 -
There are so many errors in Credit Reference Agencies records that they ought to be abolished.
The problems for consumers have been increased since AI has taken over all management.Rob2 -
It could be that they are in the process of combining the two into one account, given that the terms only yesterday changed to be otherwise identical. But given the response to pecunianonolet I would prefer to wait and consider a standard current account and saver later when the issues have been ironed out (I don't have the funds for the full set of available 8%ers at present anyway.)
I did think that if they were going to close accounts, they would close the accounts holders weren't entitled to (a BoS with a Halifax current account, or closing/renewing a Lloyds or BoS within 12 months and reopening) but it might be that they are taking the nuclear approach.
Hopefully pecunianonolet isn't being debanked, but texts from all three on the same day don't look good.
4
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


