We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread
Comments
-
crikey i've just come back off holiday and there's pages of info to go through, can anyone give me the quick route to opening the 8% RS with Halifax and BoS I've already got the 5.5% ones, is there any loss of interest or a penalty?
Thanks
0 -
The Halifax website clearly states that they are not accepting applications from new customers. I think I'll listen to what the bank themselves say above what you randomly "reckon" might be true!
Yes, it would be more accurate if they updated every single set of T&C's on their website, but it's quite obvious why they didn't and good luck if you think anyone will remotely care about your complaint...
1 -
BoS - success!
I closed my existing 5.5% Tue morning but couldn't open the 8% one. CS said it may not be possible until original maturity date however to check again when 5.5% one fell off my profile.
It was still showing under my accounts until around 1am but once it disappeared I was able to open and fund the 8% with no problem. 😀
19 -
Thanks to all the advice and info from everyone! I managed to open both Halifax and BOS.
However, I have two Lloyds RS, the 5.25% and 6.25% both maturing in October 17th. Both have £2.25k and £3.6k in them respectively. So as I understand it, I can only have one RS if I decide to renew and open a 8%.
In my situation is it worth it?
2 -
Another variation to the LBG 8%er theme….
I closed my existing BOS monthly saver yesterday. It wouldn’t let me do it online even though I had withdrawn my balance, so I sent a secure message with the closure request. They closed the account within the hour, interest paid as expected. I retained my longstanding, mainly unused, BOS current account.I then tried to open the 8% RS. No can do - the account did not show online or in the app.
Not known for giving up easily, I checked again whether the account was available today - and it was! It took 30 seconds to open it in the app.
If at first you don’t succeed……..8 -
P1 of this thread has now been updated
I've cleared out the Recent Additions section whilst I was at it, the following accounts were launched in the second half of June and remain available:
Launched 23/6/26
Launched 18/6/26
Tipton & Coseley BS 125 Anniversary Regular Saver to 31 July 2027 at 7%
Launched 17/6/26
Launched 16/6/26
Launched 15/6/26
Suffolk BS Online 1 Year Fixed Rate Regular Saver (31.08.2027) at 5%
Launched 15/6/26
17 -
Depends what capacity you have in other high-interest accounts. You'll only be able to put in £250 into the new RS straight away and will have to find a home for the other £5.6k, paying as high interest as possible.
Haven't crunched the numbers as no two people's circumstances will be the same, but I would hazard a guess in your case that keeping the two accounts until maturity would be your best option. And keep your fingers crossed that the 8% account is still available in October.
3 -
BOS
They do mention in the T&C "You’ll need a Bank of Scotland personal bank account", which comes across as more of a suggestion. That seems to be all they say. No information about which specific account types would make one eligible, when you need to have this account by, what would happen if you don't hold (or don't continue to hold) the eligibility product. This would leave them on fairly thin ice if they started taking punitive action after offering the product to customers they consider ineligible and letting them fund it.
If concerned, opening a current account now would remove the risk. It took me under 5 minutes to do this.
3 -
I'm in a similar situation.
I have downgraded (Halifax) and closed (BoSc) existing RS's and re-opened new ones to replace, both at 8%.
I have existing Club Lloyds MS (£1600 in it, 6.25%) and Lloyds MS (£750 in it, 5.25%), so both fairly new (maturity April 2027 for both). I am going to leave them open and continue to fund until maturity, rather than close both and open just one replacement at 8%. I can save £650 per month by leaving be (£400 plus £250), whereas closing and replacing with one account would just be £250 per month, albeit at 8%.
The maths is too complicated but I don't think there is much to be gained (and possibly a loss) by changing.
6 -
Friolento, just closed my BOS Monthly Saver this morning via, chat as you did. I hope to see the 8% version available tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the info.Digital Payback
The National Lottery : A tax on those who aren’t good at maths.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

