We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…352353355357358…617

Comments

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 11,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Maximising interest in this tax year using RS

    Aside from Zopa RS, are there any other well paying RS which pay interest monthly? OH has just become a lower rate taxpayer this year so we're looking to maximise interest in his name to use his £1K tax free allowance. I've opened the 8% accounts, but of course they will pay out next year. I know we could close some accounts early, but would rather not if there are other well paying options.

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 648 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Bank of Scotland Monthly Savers

    My wife and I had web logins for BoS from long ago when we had accounts there, since closed. Logins still worked. I was amazed at how quickly the savings account applications were approved - without asking ANY questions! They obviously know quite enough about us!

  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Middle_of_the_Road Posts: 1,491 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    if you have the prerequisite current accounts for Lloyds and BOS, you really have nothing to lose. Seems some are having difficulty opening the Halifax as a new customer, although while no current account is required, existing customers have managed to do so.

  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Of course 8% on as many LBG RS`s as you can get is worth it. I am in the same position as you. I have a big EA flexible cash ISA pot which I have been depleting to fund such like high interest rate RS`s because the interest rate differential is so large. Then in late March I will have to find a large amount of cash for a short while to top up my ISA to its maximum and then in the next ISA year I can start same strategy all over again.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 July at 6:55PM

    I don't have a current account for BOS, but this was no issue (I now see all my LBG accounts in my BOS profile). So I have all three now. My only slight concern is the Halifax one, as they could remove the Renew loophole, leaving me unable to access it without going to a branch. Although I think that is fairly low risk. Oddly enough, the Halifax RS renew option is there only via online banking for me, not via the app.

    In time honoured tradition, I will take the risk and open the Santander one on 1st so I don't have to fund it out of step with everything else.

  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Middle_of_the_Road Posts: 1,491 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Were you able to open the regular saver without a current account?

  • Eponym
    Eponym Posts: 310 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Lloyds - current account requirement

    I don't currently have a Lloyds current account (credit card only) and have been able to open a regular saver via the app.

    I've had the account details by email and it appears in the app, so it seems to be working. I've set up the funding payment to go tomorrow.

  • Bob2000
    Bob2000 Posts: 734 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Halifax monthly saver HOW???

    I've been trying to open the Halifax RS now on and off since noon. But no joy, just going round and round and....

    I have the Lloyds App and the 5.2% RS plus current account and also have a BoS current account, with the RS 5.5% online access only but so far l can do everything for all accounts via the Lloyds App.

    So how can l apply for the Halifax 8% please?

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 July at 7:24PM

    You would need to use the Halifax online banking or app to apply. If you are not an existing Halifax customer, then there is a known issue that you cannot apply for the RS I believe.

  • CeliaSeas
    CeliaSeas Posts: 74 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I'm trying to open the Halifax 8% RS but I'm stuck in a loop, I click on open the account. Then it takes me to 'Are you already registered for online banking with Lloyds, Halifax or Bank of Scotland?' If I click yes it asks me to log in with my Lloyds username, I have a user ID, which it doesnt recognise. If I click no. I have 2 options

    1-already a customer? >register & apply

    then I'm asked to register with Lloyds, but I already am and they dont recognise my ID

    2-New to Halifax > apply now

    then when I try to apply and back to the start, I cant seem to actually get to the application process. I've tried to use the Halifax app but I end up stuck in another loop and it wants me to use my lloyds app.

    Please help me, I've opened numerous accounts I dont know what I'm doing wrong😭😭😭

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.