We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Top Regular Savers Discussion Thread

1…348349351353354…624

Comments

  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 3,120 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That's not correct, you can use your Halifax log in details to create a Bank of Scotland login and vice versa. However Lloyds login details only get you access to Lloyds.

  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 284 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Well established that some of LBG's terms and conditions are not implemented by their software.

  • janusd
    janusd Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    it is true that it says that - but one of the great things about this thread (and its previous incarnation) is that you find out what happens in the real world and not rely on the written terms… and someone posted back in March that you could open a BoS RS without the need for a BoS current account if you already have a Lloyds (maybe Halifax too) current account.

    I have done this myself personally - don't have a current account with BoS or Halifax, but have a Lloyds current account and was able to open the 5.5% BoS RS without any issue… haven't dared tried to renew it to the 8% version though. 😀

  • strawb_shortcake
    strawb_shortcake Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Santander

    I opened a current account and the RS late last week, this was fairly simple as I hold my mortgage with them so no proof of ID required.

    Halifax

    This was also another one easy to open as I have a Halifax credit card and the app, opened on minutes. Slightly better than the Santander one as the 8% is fixed.

    Lloyds

    My current RS matures next month, and presumably I won't be able to renew the Lloyds one until September, and remains to be seen if the 8% will still be open. Though I'll be using the matured Lloyds RS to fund the Halifax account.

    This is my first time having more than one RS, I just need to work out if I can stretch to afford funding another, or just redirect other savings? Also where I'm recycling savings ensuring its available when needed.

    Current goals are holiday spends for July 27

    Long haul holiday 2028 month undecided.

    Think I need a spreadsheet…

    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

    Make £2024 in 2024...
  • janusd
    janusd Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    it was back in March, so I cannot remember if I used Lloyds, Halifax or new details to create a BoS login - my point is that you do not necessarily need a BoS current account to open a BoS RS… in any event, all 3 now show all accounts from the Lloyds Group.

  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 284 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    @pecunianonolet My understanding is that the answers to your 3 questions, already lost in the discussion, are yes, yes and yes.

    1 - there appears to now be no difference between Lloyds RS and Club Lloyds RS

    2 - Halifax RS is apparently only available if you already have online access to Halifax

    3 - It appears Lloyds, but certainly Halifax, customers can register with BoS and open their RS. I decided not to complete application as I don't fancy breaking too many ts&cs. I do still have to decide if I want to use the Lloyds website in green or the apparently identical BoS site in blue.

  • fuzzzzy
    fuzzzzy Posts: 424 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Applying for Halifax RS as new customer :

    I don't have any accounts with Lloyds, BoS or Halifax but thought I'd be able to open a Halifax RS today online. However although the regular saver is there on the website if you try to open as a new customer it just seems to send you round and round in a loop never presenting a page to enter details.

    Has anyone managed to apply as a new customer?

  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I managed to open the Halifax RS without having the app, but I do already have an online banking login and an existing (empty) savings account. I was able to log in via the desktop site and apply that way. The account is now showing in the Lloyds app alongside my Lloyds accounts.

  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Applying for HX RS as a new customer

    I'm afraid I can't yet help you to solve that problem, but can tell you that you are not the only one to go in a never ending loop when applying as a new customer for the HX RS online…. Mrs Bobblehat gave up after 4 iterations … I watched her get less and less interested after each iteration, and I decided not to interfere 😀

  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 284 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    The suggestion on another thread that Halifax Customer service say there is a problem that cannot be fixed until the end of July is spurious to me. I think today is the first step where all Halifax accounts can only be opened by existing customers who have the app or online access to Halifax, not BoS or Lloyds. Next step to Halifax becomes Lloyds.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.