We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.2026 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN Mrs SD - our Year of Redistribution
Comments
-
@suzeesu2000 I’ve found 2 lovely cousins via Ancestry. One is a third cousin once removed (J) and the other is a third cousin (D). J is sifting through boxes of family papers so periodically I get sent unexpected pictures and scans of relevant people which is lovely. D was off on his travels and dropped by ‘the family churchyard’ (as you do) and send me over a picture of the grave stone of our 3 x gt grandparents.
I don’t now if you’ve had your DNA tested but despite both J &D being related to me on my dad’s paternal side and both sharing nearly identical amounts of DNA with me they share no DNA with each other. I find it fascinating as D is as closely/distantly related to J as I am.
J’s also very good at asking his Auntie M questions. She’s in her 90s and won’t volunteer information but will confirm or deny a hypothesis if presented to her (she’s always been very ‘close’ according to her sisters). Once J & I had worked out our relationship he told his Auntie M about me and I was welcomed into the virtual fold with ‘Oh she’ll be Richard’s great granddaughter’. I am indeed Richard’s great granddaughter. She knew Richard, which is quite an achievement as he was born in 1876!
✒️ Declutter 2026 🏅 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅)
👗 Fashion on the Ration 2026 58/66✒️ Declutter 2025 🏅👗 Fashion on the Ration 2025✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2024✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2023✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️ ⭐️👗Fashion on the Ration 2022✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)13 -
There are some fascinating utube videos about how DNA is inherited and why the more distant the relationship the more uncertain the exact level of 'cousinship' becomes. Say we inherit about 12.5% from each of our 8 great grandparents - no reason why another person should have inherited the same 12.5%. Not as simple as that as some DNA is inherited differently but you get the idea. The percentages are further confused by the fact that ancestors don't double as you go back more than the first 5-6 generations due to cousin marriages - look up 'pedigree collapse' and 'Hapsburg chin' if you are interested in these things - another rabbit hole to go down.
Leg has been much better today - I think it is probably sciatica - too much gardening. Need to get on with tea for visitors who are on their way. Cleaned up and changed beds - Sox took this as an invitation to have a nap on the clean duvet cover but not on the fleece I leave for him to lie on. I went over it with the lint roller. They have a cat and a snake and something else exotic at home.
665 Plastics to SM
2026 Decluttering and redistribution 960/1526 Major job list 230/500 Total 1190/2026 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅(🏅)
2026 Weight loss 1st target 2/25
2026 1p Challenge 267/365
2026 NSD Feb 10/28 Mar 7/31 April 8/30 May 6/31June 7/30 July 6/31 Aug 9/31Sep 14/3015 -
- Kitchen cleaned down and everything away
- Both dogs bathed
- Washing has been washed and on the line
Left To do
- Take washing off line when dry
- Tidy bedroom & change sheets
- Surveeeeys!
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Debt owed;Abound - £2256.89/£8,854.76
DFW Challenges!
365 Day 1p Challenge 2026 #9 £104.30
Pay off all your debts by Christmas 2026! #14 £1918/£8854.76
Make £2026 in 2026! £602.40/£2026
Savings goal £162.79/£100015 -
@GrannyKate I had heard about the Hapsburg Chin, and having seen the paintings it’s quite…..memorable!!!
I have dabbled in the DNA side of my genealogy but I’m saving that really for when I have more time and brain bandwidth. It has however confirmed a couple of hypotheses on Mum’s side, sadly all after Mum had passed but I could just see her face at the confirmations. However she’d be very interested in the connections to people with ‘irregular living arrangements’….a tent with a four poster bed is involved!!!
Dad’s mum’s side just confirmed the findings from BBC’s Blood of Vikings……Grandma passed on a good dose of Norwegian DNA to me. Her family had lived in the area they identified as having ‘Viking DNA’ for centuries.
✒️ Declutter 2026 🏅 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅)
👗 Fashion on the Ration 2026 58/66✒️ Declutter 2025 🏅👗 Fashion on the Ration 2025✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2024✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2023✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️ ⭐️👗Fashion on the Ration 2022✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)15 -
@Florenceem what an innovative idea for the charity shop - impressive takings!
I volunteered in an Oxfam shop when I was 18, summer holidays. There was a lovely small wall clock where the pendulum swung (standard battery operated), which I bought. I still have it - the mechanism doesn't run to time, but the pendulum still moves, and I like having the clock adjusted in its hanging angle so that the pendulum hits the wooden side and 'ticks'.
Interesting about the DNA.
I've seen some TV programmes about tracing (current) offenders through family DNA (i.e. where a cousin or grandfather etc. is on the national DNA database, not through genealogy sites).
14 -
@GrannyKate @florianatwobob It’s is highly addictive, very dangerous hobby this ancestry stuff. Someone on FB was saying how much money they had spent over the years on certificates and documents, frightening amounts. Thankfully you can get an emailed pdf nowadays which is much better on the purse.
@Florenceem your morning sounds wonderful and so much fun. Maybe you’ll have to make it a regular event, or even theme it to Christmas outfits, Valentines days etc. We have a lovely CS on the island and they do amazing window displays, really makes you want to go in and have a browse.One load of whites washed and dried.
Oh it’s getting hot again….Have a good night all, sweet dreams xx
Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal
2026 Frugal Living Challenge
2026 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN Mrs SD - our Year of Redistribution
26 for 202613 -
suzeesu2000 - we are doing the next one as an Autumn fashion show.
Day 2 of my challenge to make meals from food I have in stock.
Chicken Goujons, chips & peas/sweetcorn.
15 -
@suzeesu2000 yes the price of certificates has certainly shot up these days. I spent quite a bit on them in years gone by. I was very interested to see the online PDF / view version, which as you say is significantly cheaper than an original certificate.
When I have time, I shall resurrect that way of doing things. I've been doing downloads / screenshots from Ancestry etc. parish records too.
10 -
- Daily To Do List - written the night before
- Sort out sleep patterns - initial targets: bed by 03:00, up by 10:30
- Don’t put it down, put it away + deal with mini tasks as soon as they are noticed e.g. refill olive pourer or salt cellar, stitch up a hole in a garment etc.
- Commence ‘Operation Financial Frog Tickling’ using the acronym - I.R.I.S. (Identify, Research, Implement, Sign Off) - One per quarter
- Continue to keep kitchen clean & tidy - before going to bed
- Plan & Execute ONE Major Project - 2026 New Bathroom
- Target 2026 items out
Friday is another bright sunny day with a forecast high of 26°C (feeling 1° warmer due to WNW breeze) & a low of 13°C Recycling wheelie bin still not emptied but DSis had done the washing up 👏☺️ I wrote a tiny shopping list for DH (more ice lollies & eggs) as he was taking my DSis to MrS. I have done nothing but doze & watch one of the two channels that are available 😉 We have a date for installation of the new SkyQ box - next Tuesday 🥳 Now that we have an appointment, we have completed the feedback form confirming how well the advisor, Jay*, dealt with us & how useless the AI was. *Jay was a real credit to customer service 🥹 Dinner was salad - I prepped everything & set out as a buffet. Wudupa.
1057 - 1060 Kitchen recycling, 2 newspapers, drinks cans - recycled
1061 Kitchen detritus binned
Florenceem, good luck with your challenge to use up freezer contents 🍀 Sounds like you have made a good start ☺️Very droll BlueJ94 😅
Florenceem, you have been busy 👏 Good luck stuffing & sewing up all your gnomes 🍀
Great decluttering GrannyKate 👏 Pleased to hear that your leg is on the mend despite the slight setback ☺️
Congratulations TC77 🥳 You have passed the halfway point & your Gold Star ⭐️ is on its way ☺️
Nice to see you Brambling 👋 How exciting to have a date to have your new windows installed 🤩 Hopefully whilst you are tidying & creating space for the workmen you will be able to declutter a few things 🤞
BlueJ94, hopefully you weren’t too delayed getting home from work 🤞
Willowtree222, good news that the garage will soon be cleared ☺️
Excellent decluttering Liverpool_Anne 👏 You certainly “have been ploughing on with the conservatory” 🤩 Sounds like your OH is on board with the decluttering 😊 long may it last 🙏 I haven’t been watching the football as I can only get it on my iPad at the moment but I have been keeping up with the results. Sadly the team I wanted to get through to the next round lost tonight ☹️
daisy_1571, the Bon Bon’s sound interesting 🤔 I must remember to add them to my next shopping list 😉
Florenceem, what a great idea 👏 I hope it went well 😊
BlueJ94, excellent work with your surveys 🤩
Good decluttering TC77 👏 I dread to think how many vans I would need………. I am having palpitations just thinking about it
Florenceem, very impressive takings & what wonderful volunteers 🥹 I had to laugh at This “I was asked if the punch was alcoholic - I was sitting there in SA uniform! 😂
I am really enjoying the conversation about family trees & ancestry ☺️
florianatwobob, how wonderful 🥹 Auntie M sounds like a real character 😉
GrannyKate, definitely sounds like there are plenty of rabbit holes to go down 🙊 Pleased to hear that your leg has been much better today 😊
A busy day BlueJ94 👏 Good luck with the surveys 🍀
florianatwobob, we will have to add Viking Warrior to your name 🙊
Yorkie1, I like the sound of that wall clock ☺️
Lovely post suzeesu2000 🥹
Florenceem, a tasty looking dinner 😋 & I like the plate 😊
Sleep tight 😴
MrsSD Awards: 💐 🙏💐💐🌟⭐️❤️💐💐⭐️💐❤️ ⭐️🎖️🥇⭐️⭐️⭐️
DH Awards: 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️
DSis Awards: 🏅
Decluttering Target 2026: 1061/2026
1p Savings Challenge Running Total: £226.61
Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. ⭐️2026 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £373.16
Jan £5.00 Feb £12.75 Mch £23.25 Apr £32.00 May £42.16 Jun £49.95 July £61.50 Aug £71.00 Sep £75.55 Oct £ Nov £ Dec £ Grand Total £15 -
@florianatwobob - I thought everyone dropped in to visit cemeteries when in the neighborhood. My sister is still upset that on a family trip we made when she was a teenager, we went to over thirty cemeteries in 45 days of travel - and that was over 50 years ago. Complains we wouldn't let her shop more!
16
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


