We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EDF FreePhase Dynamic Tariff

1…3435373940

Comments

  • I think I've pretty much reached the end of the road with FreePhase (Dynamic) now…

    Thinking of moving to EDFs GoElectric tariff instead. I do have an EV so am eligible though I don't charge it at home much (I can charge at work for free) but the 7 hours of super cheap overnight will be useful and the day rate of 31p isn't too bad - lower than the Amber rate on FreePhase is a lot of the time. And of course no evening penalty rate.

    Rates fixed for 12 or 18 months as well.

    Anything I might be missing?

  • TheSavvy1
    TheSavvy1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 16 September at 7:49PM

    I recently did this. Yes there will be days, such as what is forecast this weekend, when there will be free electric, but as long as you can shift load to the 7 hours of cheap rate, the savings made over the long term should be more. Also, I am not always at home to make the most of the free electric, where as the 7 hours per night is guaranteed. I must admit losing the 16:00 to 19:00 peak period also helps.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Given the latest predictions about forward energy prices, it does seem like the next few days are going to be the exception rather than the norm. Disappointing that we narrowly missed out on some free energy tomorrow, but Saturday and Sunday are both looking very good currently.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,768 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Given the latest predictions about forward energy prices, it does seem like the next few days are going to be the exception rather than the norm.

    I'm not sure that follows.

    Forward energy prices are high largely because natural gas is expensive.

    The price of natural gas, however, doesn't influence how hard the wind blows or how often renewable electricity exceeds demand.

    So future energy price predictions can be eye-watering without affecting the number of times electricity prices drop to zero or go negative.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 September at 9:56PM

    My point is that the prices over the next few days aren't the result of the pressure on energy prices easing.

    I don't think we'll see enough change in renewable generation or the weather to make much of a difference in the months ahead.

    My crystal ball has Monday to Friday next week being a return to 30p+ most of the time.

  • The_Groat_Counter
    The_Groat_Counter Posts: 741 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 September at 11:56PM

    I found the FreePhase Dynamic tariff intriguing, and have been checking in occasionally on the pricing just out of interest (given that I'm not on either FreePhase tariff).

    Obviously I appreciate Dynamic is a tariff where you take the rough with the smooth, but also try and move more of your usage out of the rough and into the smooth - but recently even the supposedly smooth has looked pretty rough!

    Meanwhile the FreePhase Static tariff certainly looks rather better at present, as discussed recently upthread.

    Regarding FreePhase Static, I recently watched this video from Mick Wall of Energy Stats UK on how the periods of cheap electricity have been shifting in recent years - it's no longer predominantly an overnight thing, but is now more mixed as being both overnight and throughout the early afternoon (basically thanks to increased solar generation).

    His analysis is based on the Octopus Agile tariff - obviously Octopus will have a different energy mix to EDF, and by their nature the three FreePhase time periods of Green/Orange/Red are simpler and less granular than Octopus Agile, so EDF is doing some of the price hedging across these time periods (something which could suit some people and not others).

    However it did make me think that perhaps FreePhase Static (or at least the present incarnations thereof) could itself become a bit of a throwback as things develop, what with it coaxing people towards overnight usage when actually afternoons can also be where the cheap wholesale electricity is at.

    Another factor is more and more people have EVs, so more people will charging them with a fair number wanting to top-up overnight - so soaking up more of that 'excess' cheap overnight electricity.

    Likewise the naming of the Green and Orange time periods didn't always seem appropriate on some days over the summer when the Orange (daytime) was cheaper than Green (overnight).

    All that said, I think I shall stick with my rather favourable (non-ToU) fix this winter which by pure chance I stumbled into signing up for just before the Iran conflict, and leave considerations about energy tariffs for next year when it expires! (I might have even got a smart meter fitted by then…)

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 September at 6:34AM

    FreePhase static resembles an E7 tariff where the daytime penalty is concentrated into the early evening. Looking at current prices in my region, you have single rate at around 25p/kWh, E7 at around 31p/14p/kWh and FP Static at 22p/15p/(42p) with some free periods.

    I still find it quite hard to believe they'd launch it so recently at those rates, given prices generally and your point about overnight not being so cheap any more, but I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth. Essentially I got the benefit of a few cheap summer months while locking in at rates available just before the Iran crisis, and also have a waiver to leave penalty free via Flextras if the broader economic picture gets better.

  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 13,146 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 September at 7:43AM

    "I still find it quite hard to believe they'd launch it so recently at those rates, given prices generally"

    Freephase Static has been available again since April/May 25, several 12 month versions, now on 24 month v4 which was the first 24 month version they put exit fee on albeit waived for Flextras customers.

    Worth noting quoted rates reflect VAT reduction from 1 October, EDF system seems to base all quotes on 11pm-6am - 15% usage.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    The cheapest EDF fixes offered to me are both 30p+ day and ~15p night. Even with an extreme 7p night rate my average would be about 19p with no free energy. It's tough when you can only squeeze about 40% into night.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 September at 10:06AM

    I really meant "so recently at those rates". Amber at below current SVT (and well below predicted future SVT) is a steal. It seems I've paid little if any penalty in holding out until now.

    On vat, I did spot that as part of their site said it was inclusive when it wasn't, but from Oct that will be simpler.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.