We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Something broken? Let us know on the new Report a Technical Issue board. Please use Site Feedback and Forum Help for other feedback.

Sorting... (Merged)

2

Comments

  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 2,042
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    strange there is nothing about this in the 'site feedback' forum
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,106
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Senior Ambassador
    I'm following up to see what the story is.  
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 507
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The order of threads on the boards now defaults to 'hot' which means I have missed some new posts.
    When I change it to 'New', it doesn't retain the order when I come back to the board (any board), and each board seems to be set independently so you can't set once and keep your preferred sort order.
    Can this be looked at please?
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 674
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 April 2025 at 12:13PM
    Yep, can't stand this.
  • MSE_Stephen
    MSE_Stephen Posts: 1,328
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Community Admin
    Hi everyone.

    This wasn't an intended change and I'm investigating. 

    Could I check though - from a quick look at some boards, it looks like the boards are sorting by new for me by default, even though it says 'hot'.

    What's everyone else's experience?
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story:
    news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,783
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi everyone.

    This wasn't an intended change and I'm investigating. 

    Could I check though - from a quick look at some boards, it looks like the boards are sorting by new for me by default, even though it says 'hot'.

    What's everyone else's experience?
    I get the same, sorting by new, 'hot' showing in the dropdown.

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,106
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 7 April 2025 at 10:31AM
    I see "Hot" selected, and that seems to sort by threads by those with the latest post at the top.    Which is the "normal" behaviour I have always seen.

    What should "Hot", "Top" and "New" actually do?
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MSE_Stephen
    MSE_Stephen Posts: 1,328
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Community Admin
    edited 7 April 2025 at 10:59AM
    I see "Hot" selected, and that seems to sort by threads by those with the latest post at the top.    Which is the "normal" behaviour I have always seen.

    What should "Hot", "Top" and "New" actually do?
    'Hot' is old terminology. That's why it looks like this is an old filter accidentally showing. We do have it enabled on Competitions Time because 'Closing Date' is listed there.

    The modern filters are 'Trending' (probably the same as Hot) and Top. You can see them on the Latest Threads page.

    Top - Takes in some cues including Reactions.
    Trending  - Takes in some cues including Reactions and number of replies.
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story:
    news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 674
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes seems 'hot', the default, is sorting chronologically and 'new' is a somehow curated view. Confusing but not the problem I thought it was when first spotted.
  • Archerychick
    Archerychick Posts: 638
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi everyone.

    This wasn't an intended change and I'm investigating. 

    Could I check though - from a quick look at some boards, it looks like the boards are sorting by new for me by default, even though it says 'hot'.

    What's everyone else's experience?
    Whilst hot is sorting the posts in age order it’s not showing all the posts that show when new is selected. Here’s a couple screenshots for you


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.