We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Something broken? Let us know on the new Report a Technical Issue board. Please use Site Feedback and Forum Help for other feedback.

Sorting... (Merged)

ThePirates
ThePirates Posts: 497
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 7 April 2025 at 12:14PM in Site feedback and Forum Help

It looks like the mods are trying out some new functionality! 

As long as the default is New!

I don't really want a curated list of what's Top or Hot, just show me the New stuff as it happens please!
«13

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mine defaults to 'hot', which seems to be the previous default, i.e. most recently-updated threads first.

    'New' shows most recently-created threads first.

    Not sure what the definition of 'top' is but perhaps most-viewed threads first?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 10,358
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 April 2025 at 9:50AM
    eskbanker said:
    Not sure what the definition of 'top' is but perhaps most-viewed threads first?
    Seems to be threads with many replies, the most recent reply to 4th one in my list is July 2021
    The most annoying thing is that it forgets what you set it to (New for me) and reverts to Hot as you swap between boards
    I can see myself coming to hate this as I am having to resort every time I go to a new board
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,889
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wondered why posts were appearing in a funny order.   I have moved mine back to New as the default appears to be hot.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 10,358
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    dunstonh said:
    I wondered why posts were appearing in a funny order.   I have moved mine back to New as the default appears to be hot.
    It won't last. It resets to hot at the drop of a hat
    I am fast coming to detest it
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm puzzled - to me, the default sort order (hot) replicates exactly what I was seeing before this was introduced, i.e. the most recently-updated threads, but don't recall (and can't see) any ability to change this within my profile?  Were others previously seeing the most recently-created threads first?
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,469
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I just want it that way it was!

    Why do all platforms think they need to do something every now and again.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

    Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 4,974
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    Not sure what the definition of 'top' is but perhaps most-viewed threads first?
    I think it sorts the threads in order of number of thanks the opening post has received.

    I've just had a quick skeg at the savings & investment board and when the order is set to ``Top" it comes up with threads in this order below the announcement.


    The OPs in of these threads have 58, 52, 45, 38, 36, 34, 29 thanks respectively.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,694
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    I'm puzzled - to me, the default sort order (hot) replicates exactly what I was seeing before this was introduced, i.e. the most recently-updated threads, but don't recall (and can't see) any ability to change this within my profile?  Were others previously seeing the most recently-created threads first?
    To be honest I had not noticed anything different until I read this thread.
    'Hot' seems to start with the latest unread thread, which I think is how it always was ?
  • Archerychick
    Archerychick Posts: 638
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    I'm puzzled - to me, the default sort order (hot) replicates exactly what I was seeing before this was introduced, i.e. the most recently-updated threads, but don't recall (and can't see) any ability to change this within my profile?  Were others previously seeing the most recently-created threads first?
    To be honest I had not noticed anything different until I read this thread.
    'Hot' seems to start with the latest unread thread, which I think is how it always was ?
    Almost but not quite. There are some which are out of order on ‘hot’

    i don’t mind the sorting options because we’re all different but I’d much prefer it if the site remembered my preference - I.e. what it was set to last time 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.