Royal Mail Redirection service a RIP OFF!

Options

Comments

• emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    Everything I read just proves more and more how useless rm are.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Rab19
    Rab19 Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Custardy - is there a way of getting mail with-held from an address if they're not there any more please?

We moved almost 2 years ago & the previous residents never set up a redirect. We gave some mail to the Estate Agent & a parcel that was delivered was collected by them after a month, but we're STILL getting their crap through the post! Even if we write RTS on the envelopes & return them, they still come through. . . . please help!!!

Rab x x
    Good Luck to all Compers in 2022 :beer:
    Loving my boys . . .
    Lucky Dust for everyone & Healthy Dust for me please!
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Does anyone know if you redirect your mail say for Mr Smith should they be redirecting the Mr and Mrs Smith mail as well. Hope that makes sense, me and my husband are getting a divorce and he moved out last Sep and redirected his mail but all the letter for Mr and Mrs ... are going to him and Its a nuisance as he has to come round with the mail and he is not connected to my address now.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know if you redirect your mail say for Mr Smith should they be redirecting the Mr and Mrs Smith mail as well. Hope that makes sense, me and my husband are getting a divorce and he moved out last Sep and redirected his mail but all the letter for Mr and Mrs ... are going to him and Its a nuisance as he has to come round with the mail and he is not connected to my address now.

nope,should only be for the name on the redi
    there are 2 colours for the redis to distinguish an entire family move over a single or named person move
    however its a tricky one if you get a letter to mr & mrs smith as you have to decide to redirect or not
    theres really little you can do on that front bar speaking to the redirecting delivery office to see if they can not redirect the mr & mrs items
  • custardy
    Options
    Rab19 wrote: »
    Custardy - is there a way of getting mail with-held from an address if they're not there any more please?

We moved almost 2 years ago & the previous residents never set up a redirect. We gave some mail to the Estate Agent & a parcel that was delivered was collected by them after a month, but we're STILL getting their crap through the post! Even if we write RTS on the envelopes & return them, they still come through. . . . please help!!!

Rab x x

not really,thats down to the senders
    you can however join the mail preference service if its mainly junk mail?
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    nope,should only be for the name on the redi
    there are 2 colours for the redis to distinguish an entire family move over a single or named person move
    however its a tricky one if you get a letter to mr & mrs smith as you have to decide to redirect or not
    theres really little you can do on that front bar speaking to the redirecting delivery office to see if they can not redirect the mr & mrs items

Thanks, think I will give them a call as the mail he is getting in joint names is the letters connected with the house, like insurances & mortgage and I obviously need these not him, luckily he is bringing them round, but he could turn funny and bin them.
  • custardy
    Options
    probably best to get those items gradually changed to just you or maybe start using your maiden name for these things?
    ive seen issues like this before with redirections
  • I'll diarise my experiences with the Royal Mail redirection service.

Having moved in with my girlfriend, I've rented my flat out, and have arranged a mail redirection to run from October 8th to November 8th. I did this provisionally for a month as I had already read this thread before arranging the redirection. However I still needed the service. After three weeks I had had only one letter that was redirected to the new address and TEN that had still gone to the old address.

I telephoned Royal Mail on 1st November to complain. I spoke to a lady called Lynne (I always get their names!), and she apologised and said that she would send an email to the manager of the distribution centre, and she would give me a free one month extension to 8th December.

Since then the mail appears to be being redirected correctly (however my tenant moved in on Thursday so I can't go to my flat to be check what mail has been delivered there). On Monday I received a letter from Royal Mail confirming the changes. These "changes" merely confirmed the same details as before, that the service was due to end on November 9th!

I have just telephoned Royal Mail again earlier to find out whether I have the one month extension or not (spoke to someone called Trevor). He told me that there was NOTHING on the computer about any extension. He told me that he will add the extension on for me again.

Watch this space!.....
  • I subquently received a letter saying that they had renewed the redirection, but because of the short notice, this would begin on 13/11/08 and end on 13/12/08. Therefore there would be a gap between 09/11/08 and 13/11/08 when mail would go to the old address.

Now the ironic thing is that during that five day period, my mail was actually redirected, when actually it shouldn't have been. Yet since 13/11/08, when it should have been redirected, I have received absolutely nothing! I have asked my lettings agent to ask my tenant if he has received my mail. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I've now received a letter from Royal Mail asking me if I wish to renew the service. I have renewed for another year, but have also just phoned Royal Mail to check if there's a problem (spoke to someone called Karen). She tried to get through to the distribution centre but couldn't get through. She's taken my number and has told me she will ring me later.
  • Ripoff_Britain_2
    Options
    I never got a call back. However after this phonecall, it appeared that I was getting mail sent to my new address without a problem.

Last week my tenant passed on to me 10 items of my mail which had been sent to his (my old) address between December and March. I have just been on the phone to Royal Mail again and have spoken to a gentleman who assures me that he is going to speak to the local distribution centre. He took my contact telephone numbers and says that he will call me back.

The automated service when you call up is also a nightmare. I had to press about 8 or 9 buttons before I got the right department I wanted. Ideally, there should be a specific telephone number for the Redirection service. Instead all Royal Mail enquiries (of which there could be a broad spectrum of enquiries) begin with one telephone number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure