Royal Mail Redirection service a RIP OFF!

Options
After paying the £25 fee to have my mail redirected from my previous address to my new address, I was fortunate enough after a fortnight to visit my old address, to discover a mountain of mail that had NOT been re-directed, this included a Bank Card, a Statement and a myraid of other items of mail. I immediatley phoned Royal Mail to ask what was going on, only to be told "no, that shouldnt have happened", which I kind of figured out for myself. They assured me someone was going to call me back to explain what had happened......suprise suprise, they never did.

If this wasnt bad enough a further 2 weeks after making the complaint, I returned to the old house YET AGAIN, to discover another mountain of my mail had been posted there.

On ringing them back I was told the same script, "No sir, that shouldnt have happened". I was furious by this time, and asked for a refund, as the service I had paid for, had not been administered. I was no longer interested in hearing someone tell me that it "shouldnt have happened".

I was told that Royal Mail dont do refunds on this service, and would a couple of 1st class stamps do as a token of apology. SO in effect, should you pay for your mail to be redirected, dont assume it all has been (yes I had a couple of letters re-directed) should you discover that the service is NOT being provided, dont assume that entitles you to a refund as RM state they dont have a "refunds dept".

Its far better to save your £25, and hope the next tenants or dwellers are honest enough folk, to keep hold of your mail until you pick it up yourself, ultimatley, you will have no choice but to check that the good, reliable and honest Royal Mail Team are providing you with the service, rather than telling you the obvious "oh that shouldnt have happened".
:A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.

Comments

• Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They should offer you a refund, we used the redirection service when our business moved offices only to find that Royal Mail couldn't redirect from where we were previously situated, and they sent us a refund in the form of a cheque.
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    After paying the £25 fee to have my mail redirected from my previous address to my new address, I was fortunate enough after a fortnight to visit my old address, to discover a mountain of mail that had NOT been re-directed, this included a Bank Card, a Statement and a myraid of other items of mail. I immediatley phoned Royal Mail to ask what was going on, only to be told "no, that shouldnt have happened", which I kind of figured out for myself. They assured me someone was going to call me back to explain what had happened......suprise suprise, they never did.

If this wasnt bad enough a further 2 weeks after making the complaint, I returned to the old house YET AGAIN, to discover another mountain of my mail had been posted there.

On ringing them back I was told the same script, "No sir, that shouldnt have happened". I was furious by this time, and asked for a refund, as the service I had paid for, had not been administered. I was no longer interested in hearing someone tell me that it "shouldnt have happened".

I was told that Royal Mail dont do refunds on this service, and would a couple of 1st class stamps do as a token of apology. SO in effect, should you pay for your mail to be redirected, dont assume it all has been (yes I had a couple of letters re-directed) should you discover that the service is NOT being provided, dont assume that entitles you to a refund as RM state they dont have a "refunds dept".

Its far better to save your £25, and hope the next tenants or dwellers are honest enough folk, to keep hold of your mail until you pick it up yourself, ultimatley, you will have no choice but to check that the good, reliable and honest Royal Mail Team are providing you with the service, rather than telling you the obvious "oh that shouldnt have happened".

dont take that crap

they have failed to comply with the contract that they entered into and therefore you are entitled to a refund of the amount that you paid

if you phone speak the the customer services manager or better still write a letter to their head office recorded delivery stating the fact that you want your money back in full or you will take them to the small claims court
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That was my argument with them too, that I had paid for a service I wasnt getting. That they dont have a refund dept shouldnt be my problem, I know you are both right that legally I should be entitled to a refund and NOT a couple of stamps.

Still all I get back from them is that someone will contact me by 6pm, (they never do), re-calling just puts me back into an endless circle of repeating myself and being re-iterated that this problem "shouldnt have happened", but someone will call back and all they can offer me is an apology.

Thanks for your advice, I think I wil try and forward my complaint by recorded letter and hope the reply I get is something better than "heres a couple of stamps as a token of our admittance that "this shouldnt have happened" ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the redirection service is a problem especially on duties where there is no regular cover.
    its human error pure and simple.

basically when you set up a redirection the redi centre send out a set of stickjers and a card showing redirected names,the old address and redirecting address.

some people dont even know their pown address in the likes of flats so a postman who doesnt know the duty will check the carded address over what the actual address is.

i know my own duty so can pull out all the redirections as i sort the mail ,but someone not knowing the duty has to go through around 50 redirtections

also be aware only foot posties have the redirections and not the drivers.this is something it seems the redi centre never raise(or dont know) and ive raised this at a local level as larger packets are not redirected.
    though its rare people still order larger items after moving.

it shouldnt happen but nearly always its down to duties that dont have full time cover so someone is rushing through the redirections or thinks they were done by whomever 'put the wallk up' before they got to the duty

personally i generally recommend dealing direct with the delivery office manager and keep on at them
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had same problems with no returned calls, no change in service. I actually wanted redirected mail not stamps or a refund!

So what I did was get to know my new postman...bit of effort, but worked a treat. The redirect that hadn't worked for 2 months suddenly began working when I mentioned it to the postie how little post was coming through. He had a few words with certain people and lo and behold mountains of the stuff poured through.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • custardy
    Options
    bear in mind your redirection is dealt with at your old delivery office.
    so your 'new' postman would have contacted them.i personally wouldnt rely on this.
    i queried an incorrect redirection on my duty 3 months ago and passed it onto my manager to deal with.
    nothing has been done :mad:
    so im redirecting mail to singapore and its coming back after 2-3 weeks as address incomplete :confused:
  • aardvarkuk
    aardvarkuk Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this as I am moving house soon
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    KILL_BILL wrote: »
    they have failed to comply with the write a letter to their head office recorded delivery stating the fact that you want your money back in full or you will take them to the small claims court

Not a lot of people know this, but annoyingly the Royal Mail have a special privileged legal status which gives them immunity from all court claims.
  • custardy
    Options
    aardvarkuk wrote: »
    Thanks for this as I am moving house soon

bear in mind (and this goes for most rm stuff) that for every 1 complaint theres 000's of items delivered/dealt with without problem
  • Heaven-Leigh
    Options
    I also did this! and also found that a mountain of mail was awaiting at the old address! fortunately, I had rented the house I moved from out, and I came to collect rent from the tenants and they handed over a wad of mail.

I spoke to someone at RM customer services who was "less than" helpful ! but I am not going to back down.

I am paying for something I am not getting. One thing I have noticed the mail that has been redirected is junk mail! Not the important stuff.
    If we attempt nothing, then we can achieve nothing. But if we try and fail, we still can gain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure