🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Royal Mail Redirection service a RIP OFF!

Options

Comments

• KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    Not a lot of people know this, but annoyingly the Royal Mail have a special privileged legal status which gives them immunity from all court claims.

thats incorrect information
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    anitamarie wrote: »
    I can better that - my parents are away and asked for mail to be held back at the Post Office as we have a little box at the front of our drive which would quickly overflow as it only takes a few days worth of mail (rural area, postie wouldn't dream of walking to the front door). After two weeks I drove over to check on the place for them and Postie came strolling down the drive and put mail in my hand.
    Me: "Hello, surprised to see you. Did you know my parents are away and that we'd asked for mail to be held back?"
    Postie: "Yes."
    Me: "So, if I hadn't been here, would you have taken the mail back to the Post Office or something?"
    Postie: "No, no, I've just returned it all to sender for the last two weeks."
    Me: [breathing deeply] "Please don't do that as I'm sure they do want to read their mail. Please keep it at the Post Office as requested."

You are not alone.

that would be a keepsafe.
    http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400040&mediaId=600010

rm are doing away with doing these types of service for free now however i dont understand why your postie said he/she knew you asked for a keepsafe?
  • custardy
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I really dont think thats what people want to hear, whilst they get ripped off by them. If I bought a 40" telly from Dixons, and it didnt work, simply having someone tell me that it cannot be replaced or refunded and then smugly saying "but a lot of our tellys DO work", doesnt even come close to cutting it.

sorry was i being smug? i was adding a little balance for the person who said they were moving house soon
    i redirect 100's of letters a week so the service can work :rolleyes:
  • madtrekker
    madtrekker Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had better than this. One day, while I was having a new carpet fitted in my downstairs hallway, the postie called by and rather stupidly decided that as there was no furniture in the hall, I must have moved out. He then took it into his own hands to send ALL my mail back to sender. After a week of no mail I became suspicious and contacted the delivery office to be told I'd "gone away". I said I hadn't and it was a struggle to get them to believe me! Typically, that week was my birthday and so I got no cards. It was awkward as I couldn't really ring round my relatives to ask if they'd sent a card / present and if so thanks.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    sorry was i being smug? i was adding a little balance for the person who said they were moving house soon
    i redirect 100's of letters a week so the service can work :rolleyes:
    Can? but yet this CANNOT be gauranteed and should the contract not be adhered to, regardless of how many customers are satisfied, you are still NOT entitled to a refund of your fee. In this effect, it really isnt worth the risk in paying the fee, no matter how many successful stories you know about.

This doesnt make any kind of balance except in the favour of RM, who are in a win-win situation on this, not the paying customer, who merely takes the risk in paying a fee with an assurance that should it go wrong, its only the customer who stands to lose out anyway.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • poppycracker
    poppycracker Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    someone at one of the Glasgow offices must have had a good New Year... :beer:
    one of my resident's has a redirect from her old home in Glasgow, but yesterday she handed me a whole bundle of post that had come in a redirect pouch, none of which was for her, but for different addresses in Glasgow!

Our postie kindly took it away for her and will send it back. but even he said that they must have had a good New Year!
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It makes you wonder how many customers are effected who dont know about it.
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
  • LilMissEmmylou
    Options
    same issue and also i couldnt redirect my daughters mail as she has her dads surname and not mine. Apparently i can only redirect mail of family members with the same surname as mine! on top of that - they wanted her to redirect her own mail and pay for it by cheque..... she was 6 months old! Royal mail are a joke!
  • custardy
    Options
    madtrekker wrote: »
    I've had better than this. One day, while I was having a new carpet fitted in my downstairs hallway, the postie called by and rather stupidly decided that as there was no furniture in the hall, I must have moved out. He then took it into his own hands to send ALL my mail back to sender. After a week of no mail I became suspicious and contacted the delivery office to be told I'd "gone away". I said I hadn't and it was a struggle to get them to believe me! Typically, that week was my birthday and so I got no cards. It was awkward as I couldn't really ring round my relatives to ask if they'd sent a card / present and if so thanks.

look at it this way.how does your postie know if you moved?
    i recently had a complaint laid to my duty.
    customer said he hadnt got any mail for weeks.
    i said yes because i had got mail returned to me marked addressee gone away,so i had started returning all mail
    seems he decided to return any mail he didnt want marked gone away.
    this is why i photocopy and letters returned this way and keep a copy for a few weeks
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have opted for the postwatch route, demanding a refund. Well see if this gets me anywhere
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate