🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Royal Mail Redirection service a RIP OFF!

Options

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use the redirection service for about 9 months each year whilst abroad and have had all sorts of problems.
    The best thing to do is to set up the redirection a month in advance, then a day or two before it is due to start go to the sorting office and insist on seeing the manager, go early as he probably finishes work soon after lunch.
    Make sure he has labels, envelopes and a card to put in your slot ready, get his name and phone number for when things go wrong.
    The official customer service dept. are useless!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wont be using the redirection service again, its just not worth it, especially considering they openly and happily admit they have no refund policy, regardless of how much you pay for a service.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Shrewdmoneysaver
    Options
    The redirection service has been diabolical in the past but when I moved 15 months ago it was a lot better. Royal Mail either ignore complaints or do nothing about them. I suggest you contact postwatch who they do seem to take a little notice of.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i will say there are plenty of factors for redirection failures.
    im not saying its all down to it though but for example
    redirections with the wrong address
    wrong/missing names
    late arrival of redirections
    incorrect forwarding addresses

i'll give a couple of recent examples

one customer organised a redirection and when i recieved the redirection i checked the address/name was correct.
    1 month later i get a complaint that mail isnt being redirected.turns out they wanted mail in a business name redirected but never stated this/provided proof

another lives at 15 flat 1F2 however often got their mail under the flat number 15/2
    i told them about this on many occasions and put a note on the redirection when it arrived to check 2 & 1F2
    however on dutys without a regular postman wouldnt have anyone to know to check 15/2
    so another redirection failure
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These are all fair enough custardy mistakes happen, but the main point of this thread is the lack of refunds, the no refunds policy, should something go wrong. That a customer pays £25 for a service they dont get, even after 3 complaints they satill dont get a service they have paid for. Surely they are BY LAW entitled to a full refund unless of course it was the customers fault, which in this case it wasnt. That RM proudly state they dont even have a refund department, so therefor cannot refund a fee, is nothing short of a scandal, and makes the whole redirection service, not worthy of the fee.
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    one they have a small claims form summons turn up on their door step a "refunds department " weill soon materilise
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We moved house in mid December and had a 6 month redirection put in place.

The quality of the service is down solely to the postman on your round. Ours was aware that we were moving and that we were going to re-direct. For the first few days the individual items were hand re-addressed until the labels arrived. Now everything comes in First Class Bags. He even sends the odd thing or two addressed to daughter's boyfriend with a different surname, which we didn't pay for.

No complaints at all !
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a 3 moth redirect service, costing £25. We only moved a few streets away from the old address, in 6 weeks, I had reported on 3 seperate occasions, that post was still turning up at my old address, this wasnt just junk mail. On all 3 occasions I was informed that it wouldnt happen again, Im now in my 2nd month with the service and STILL mail is turning up at my old address.

Wether the postman is to blame or not, RM are ultimatley responcible, as it was RM I paid the fee to and not the Postman. I now have 2 weeks left of the service, yet I am still not getting it. RM could say "we will extend the service for another month for free if you wish", but at this time should no longer require it.

The fact still remains, that I have not had the service I have paid for. The complaint I have is I am not entitled to a refund simply because they dont have a refunds policy. No matter how many customers HAVE received the service, those that HAVE NOT, have still paid for it and are not entitled to get their money back, because RM dont do that.

If I paid RM insurance as well as postage on a parcel in case it got lost during delivery, and RM lost it during transit, would it be right for RM to say "we dont pay out on the insurance, because the parcel shouldnt have gone missing, but rest assured not all parcels go missing.", would that not make the point of insuring the parcel a waste of money?
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
  • MFewings
    MFewings Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    I am surprised you didnt get a refund automatically. I paid only £5.70 for the keepsafe service for the week between xmas and new year as going away and other people still in house. I had told my regular postwoman I had booked the service.

Mail got delivered the first two days that it shouldnt have (luckily only junk mail). This surprised me as knew my postwoman was normally very good. I phoned Royal Mail on 2nd Jan and asked why it happened.

Was told the request had gone to my sorting office and they would be asked why the mail had been delivered. I got off phone feeling a bit like I had wasted the call as no one was interesed.

That morning when my mail arrived - quite a lot because of the keepsafe - I spoke to my postwoman again and she assured me she was aware but on the first two days of my keepsafe she was off due to holiday owed before end of year.

Then two days later a full refund cheque arrived with me.
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    We had the same when we moved!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport