We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Teetering on the brink
Comments
-
I’m sure there’s a template letter on here you can just use, will take 5 mins to set off.
Sealed pot challenge 822
Jan - £176.66 :j1 -
MFW 2026 #5007/03/25: Mortgage: £67,000.00
Mortgage:
04/04/26: £33,500
07/03/26: £34,418.15
16/01/26: £56,794.25
02/01/26: £60,223.17
12/08/25: Mortgage: £62,500.00
12/06/25: Mortgage: £65,000.00
18/01/25: Mortgage: £68,500.14
27/12/24: Mortgage: £69,278.38
Savings: £20,0004 -
I'm just catching up after a few days of not enough Internet access, and it's so good that you got the helpful app then the progress with the doctor. Your planning seems realistic and should be a major help. Just to say that when I worked nights I would have four nights on and ten nights off (no days) so I had quality recovery time. If for some reason your pattern of days didn't work out (though I think it sounds right for you), there's also the one day on, two off and two worked together option.
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/223 -
Finally have my PIP telephone assessment at 9:15am today. Almost two hours of basic torture. She seemed determined to twist my experience to fit some box that does not reflect my reality and no amount of saying that my life just does not look like that seemed to change it. I am not hopeful. It did not seem to matter for instance that the medication I am prescribed is not the medication I take and just because I am taking something (or not) today does not mean that i will take the same tomorrow. I could practically hear her eyebrows raise when I explained I am currently taking codeine whenever the pain is too bad to bare, not because it is great at killing the pain but because it knocks me out. Sure, at some point a GP prescribed it for me but not recently, they just say take what I need and do I need more. She seemed obsessed with how many times I could walk back and forward from the van if I forgot something, completely dismissing the fact that I simply don’t drive unless I am having a particularly good day so none of that classes as reliably able in my book. Needless to say all the talking set off my Trigeminal Neuralgia and I was in a lot of pain throughout. First thing I did was take codeine to knock me out to give my TN medication a chance to work a bit. Woke up now and I need to help dd1 pack the van for her moving out tomorrow. I am so completely flattened I doubt I will be able to contribute anything other than laying on her bed ticking of a list of boxes. The irony of being so exhausted from being questioned about how many times I can walk back and forward from the van that I cannot even go once when I REALLY need to is not lost on me. When prioritising the stuff I use my enrrgy on I like to always ask myself will this matter in 5years time. The answer to helping dd1 move is absolutely it will matter because it is such a big thing, but now, after that interrogation, I am just incapable of helping. dd2 has been at college all day and has work this evening so she cannot help either, so somehow, between dd1 and I, we have to get the van packed and her off to uni tomorrow. The drive is the only bit that dd1 cannot physically/legally do herself, so I need to save my last scrap of energy for that. The rest the poor girl is practically going to have to do herself. 😢
End ofSep-25Oct-25Brother 7,800.00 7,650.00 Overdraft owed 0.00 0.00 MBNA CC 11,481.53 11,504.06 Barclaycard CC 9,662.17 9,558.10 Fluid CC 1,046.44 1,036.29 NatWest CC 11,705.36 11,693.03 Aqua 1,127.94 1,107.94
Total debt
42,823.44
42,549.42Paid off in the month 211.33 274.02
Interested in my diary? Check out...
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6580468/teetering-on-the-brink/p15 -
Van loaded. Finally goodbye breakfast with dd1. 😢 I know she is almost 20yrs old and definitely ready to fly the nest but this process still feels so strange. What do you mean she wont live here? She’s my child, how can she not live here? 😭
End ofSep-25Oct-25Brother 7,800.00 7,650.00 Overdraft owed 0.00 0.00 MBNA CC 11,481.53 11,504.06 Barclaycard CC 9,662.17 9,558.10 Fluid CC 1,046.44 1,036.29 NatWest CC 11,705.36 11,693.03 Aqua 1,127.94 1,107.94
Total debt
42,823.44
42,549.42Paid off in the month 211.33 274.02
Interested in my diary? Check out...
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6580468/teetering-on-the-brink/p14 -
Tough day 😞 - but how exciting for her too. I still remember my moving to uni day and it was a looong time ago now.
I hope today isn’t too tough for you and you manage the driving okay.PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
2 -
Such a mixed feelings day. For you it's a big goodbye, for her its a big hello. She will be nervous, excited, sad to be leaving home, hope you both get a lovely cheerful cuddle then you can have a big cry once you are on your way home 😥 xxxx
22: 3🏅 4⭐ 23: 5🏅 6 ⭐ 24 1🏅 2⭐ 25 🏅 🥈2⭐ 26 🥈 Never save something for a special occasion. Every day is a special occasion. The diff between what you were yesterday and what you'll be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If youre not already using a thing you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney The barrier standing between you & what youre truly capable of isnt lack of info, ideas or techniques. The secret is 'do it'3 -
I still remember taking DD1 to uni 120 miles from home & the feeling of loss when I left her there. Then did it all over again with DD2, only 120 miles away in the opposite direction!
Good luck to your daughter, and I hope you cope OK today.
KA
2 -
Sending hugs.
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/223 -
Hop you managed the uni drop off okay.
I remember our youngest couldn't wait for us to leave.
I held it together until back in hotel. Then had a good holiday to break things up before coming home.
3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards