We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Old Regular Savers Discussion Thread 28/12/24-29/1/26

1…929930932934935…1113

Comments

  • Chaykin
    Chaykin Posts: 203
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I found that Principality BS does not enforce their maximum balance rule. Never had an issue with 7th or 13th payments. Skipton BS however do enforce as I remember once having 13th payment returned. Any other examples of (not)enforcing maximum balance?
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 5,504
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Newshound! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Chaykin said:
    I found that Principality BS does not enforce their maximum balance rule. Never had an issue with 7th or 13th payments. Skipton BS however do enforce as I remember once having 13th payment returned. Any other examples of (not)enforcing maximum balance?
    MonBS do enforce it, including a couple of years ago with an account that had no stated maximum balance/number of deposits (they eventually increased the threshold due to complaints).
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 1,420
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    StevieR said:
    My Chorley Regular Saver 30/11/25 has matured and £400 of it has rolled over into a new Regular Saver 30/11/26
    Chorley Regular Saver 

    Was that automatic rollover, and at the same interest rate, or as a result of your maturity instructions?
    Chorley Seasonal Saver 30/11/25 which is very similar to their RS 30/11/25 - My OH did maturity instructions on SS, £400 rolled over to new SS with same account details payment dated 30/11/25 which means 12 further payments can be made starting today resulting in a total of 13 payments with a £5200 maturity balance. My OH has a low income and benefits from most of the £5000 0% starting savings allowance making this 5.15% account just about worthwhile having already filled up the better paying RS`s.
    However (being a 20% tax payer) the lowish 5.15% interest rate means I have decided to dip my toes in the water with a £25 opening deposit into a new SS with no further funding.
    It is slightly annoying that Chorley use BACS for their payouts (not Faster Payments) which can take 3 days.

  • Things seem ok with my Principality accounts, can't fund 2 of them though as already maxed out which does mean of course we get to play the can we get another issue 4 game TWICE this month 😁.
    I've always been able to deposit a 13th/7th full payment; no issues. Or have I misunderstood you ?
    The max limit per 6 month account is £1200, if you been able to fund more you've been lucky not to have overpayment returned 
    I accidentally funded mine maturing late December, now has a balance of £1400. Had expected it to be returned 
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 2,778
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    WillPS said:
    Chaykin said:
    I found that Principality BS does not enforce their maximum balance rule. Never had an issue with 7th or 13th payments. Skipton BS however do enforce as I remember once having 13th payment returned. Any other examples of (not)enforcing maximum balance?
    MonBS do enforce it, including a couple of years ago with an account that had no stated maximum balance/number of deposits (they eventually increased the threshold due to complaints).
    There was a similar story with Gatehouse.  No maximum balance stated in t&c, but they returned 13th payments.
  • Yarrows
    Yarrows Posts: 58
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2025 at 10:11PM
    Chaykin said:
    I found that Principality BS does not enforce their maximum balance rule. Never had an issue with 7th or 13th payments. Skipton BS however do enforce as I remember once having 13th payment returned. Any other examples of (not)enforcing maximum balance?
    Principality certainly did enforce it for my most recently maturing 6 month RS - I left the standing order running but the last payment which would have taken it to £1400 was returned a few days later. And I have played by the rules with regards to numbers of each type of account, even! 

    I'll still leave the standing order running at the end of this one because it's a faff to stop and start it when I could just leave it running with no end date because the account number doesn't change.
  • s71hj
    s71hj Posts: 1,242
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    masonic said:
    jd84 said:
    Principality 

    I made a 7th payment into an Issue 3 this morning and it's showing a £1400 balance, so I can confirm that works.
    The extra £200 will be kept in the account when it matures to an issue 4 later this month.

    Santander 

    Someone mentioned paying in more than £200 recently, I have also tested and not had the overpayment returned. Maybe they won't pay interest on the extra.


    It may work initially but I'm sure people have said before they've had it returned before.
    So far, I've got away with this. It's one less thing to keep track of (remembering not to fund in the final calendar month), so I'm happy for them to return the overpayment if they want to.
    It's not so much the risk of an overpayment being returned that stops me making that 7th payment, it's the consequential attention then paid to the other savers....
    I have said previously, albeit  metaphorically speaking that I almost cross the road when walking past a Principality branch for fear of drawing attention to myself and therefore to my multiple one issue only accounts
  • Dizzycap
    Dizzycap Posts: 2,065
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Ambassador
    SCC2 said:
    Anyone having issues with Monmouth app? I’m on IOS but just sticks at ‘getting things ready’

    Stephen 
    Try deleting the app & reinstalling. I've found that I have to do this at least once each month and it's usually after funds have gone into my RS and totals are updated overnight.
    --**MONEYFACTS**-- FULL List of Money Comparison Products + News / Guides--
       Personal MSE 2026 Money Saving Challenges:
    ~ NSD 2026 Challenge May 12/20 (6)
    # Regular Savers 2026- New 9/12 - Total: 31 (6)
    # No.12 Save £2 a Day 2026 £364.98 / £730 (6)
    # No.2 Save 1p A Day Challenge 2026 £355.02 / £667.95 (6)
    # No.4 Save £12k in 2026 - £8492.37 / £12,000 (6)
    # £10-a-Day Challenge 2026 - £710.56 / £1825 (6)
    # No.8 Sealed Pot Challenge 19 (22/10) 426 / £400 (6)
    # No.27 - Top Up EP 2 £1255 / £2880 (6).
    # Make £2026 in 2026 - Completed
    Motto: 'SAVE before you spend on Non-essentials' 
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.