We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: My daughter's selling clothes I got her - should she have offered them to me?

Options

Comments

• cooki2222
    cooki2222 Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whitney dressed as Britney…
  • LAMBS60
    LAMBS60 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What made you look at a clothes selling site in the first place ? I do think that it’s sad to be selling the clothes so soon . She’ll still need clothes won’t she ? Will she buy more clothes with the money ?From what I have seen , you don’t get a lot back on clothes sites , so maybe that seems rather insulting to you . If you offered to buy them ( so buying them twice !) how would you price them ? Was it easier to accept clothes rather than ask for money ? 
  • charliemeg
    charliemeg Posts: 1 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter is strictly vegan and very picky, so the gifts I buy her are often unsuitable for one reason or another. Last Christmas as she was unenthusiastically opening her gifts she casually mentioned how she had taken some of my unsuitable gifts from her previous Christmas to the charity shop. I was so disappointed and asked her if she could give me first option in the future. Going forward she will strictly be getting money from me, which is not the same imo, but I may as well just buy her gifts and take them straight to a charity shop myself as things stand. 
  • carolinechapman01
    Options
    No. Absolutely not. They were a GIFT. You have no claim on them whatsoever. I grew up with parents who attached strings to every present. It's not a true gift if there are rules. Relax, and stop keeping track of things which are not yours. 
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Easy answer: stop buying her any clothes, and only buy for yourself the clothes she would never dream of wearing.
  • Beadyjanet
    Beadyjanet Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In hindsight and if you do it in future (which I guess you won't) you should have said, if and when you no longer need them I'd like them back. I do understand why you're annoyed but also I can see her point, she probably thought she'd be insulting you by returning what was a gift.
  • BadAnnie
    BadAnnie Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Surely if your daughter was struggling what she needed was financial help not necessarily clothes. You can never really assume you know someone else's taste. Money would have helped where she knew she most needed it. Try it next time or ask her what she needs.
  • honestcove
    honestcove Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As the two of you are the same size you’ve got a solution when this scenario arises again. Just give her your old cast-offs.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April at 9:16AM
    Options
    Firstly as others have said - A gift is a gift.

It always amazes me how generous and well intended people can be when giving gifts without thinking through the consequences.  If she is 'struggling with money', is nice clothes the best gift to give her.  (I am assuming they are quite nice as she is selling them.)

You should maybe take a more rounded approach.  Why is she struggling with money? What does she actually need rather than want?  What is the best value you can get in terms of pounds given versus helping her money struggles in the short and medium term?  What is she going to spend the money she gets from selling the clothes on? Did you buy her clothes that you like rather than clothes that she might like? She is your daughter so have a conversation with her before giving any more gifts.
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMD = A(un)I
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts