We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: My daughter's selling clothes I got her - should she have offered them to me?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Purplegeri
    Options
    Surely a gift is a gift?
    Perhaps you should have bought the clothes for yourself and given/lent her money if she was hard up?
    If she is selling the clothes as brand new having not worn them to try and make herself some money, that's a different matter, as she will never make the same amount as you paid, so that's disrespectful to your generosity. 
    Next time you give someone clothes that you would like yourself, add a caveat that when they don't want them anymore, to give you first refusal. 
  • NannyJaffaCakes
    NannyJaffaCakes Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 12 April at 9:02PM
    Options
    Why would you think it's appropriate for you to wear your daughter's clothes?  However, instead of buying her clothes why not talk to her about her financial situation and see if you can help her sort out her difficulties with a cash injection?  
  • miss-tified
    miss-tified Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Money Moral Dilemma: My daughter's selling clothes I got her - should she have offered them to me?
    Is this a money dilemma, a moral dilemma, or perhaps a dilemma about communication and relationships between a mother and daughter? Why not ask your daughter the question you've asked everyone else?
  • hughrobertson
    Options
    Probably she needs money for something other than clothes, you should have given her money for her to use as she needs, not what you think she needs.
  • ajwoods1117
    Options
    Absolutely not! a gifts a gift.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills