First Direct £175 switch offer. 26/03/24

Options

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,650 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So just to clarify, I had a first direct bank account until about 2016, so I'm not eligible right?
    Correct, however as a datapoint I had an account in around 2018 and was paid another bonus when I rejoined last year. YMMV.
  • Marcoos
    Marcoos Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Probably a daft question, so apologies in advance.

How does the Topcashback tracking work? As sign up on the First Direct site prompts you to install the app and sign up there.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,650 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Marcoos said:

How does the Topcashback tracking work? As sign up on the First Direct site prompts you to install the app and sign up there.
    TCB link takes you to a page where you pop your email in. That triggers a 'transaction' to be sent to TCB when you eventually sign up via the app (using that email).
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marcoos said:

I've found it's best to do it in a largely "clean" browser - I do most stuff on Firefox with about 4-5 addons to block tracking, adverts, facebook internal tracking etc and have found TCB is a bit hit and miss, I normally search for what I want then login to my account on Chrome and order through there, sometimes I am a bit paranoid and add stuff to the cart ready, then go back to TCB and click the link again back to the site with items in the basket then proceed to order. You can also raise disputes if you don't get cashback registered - just use your order details, though it's not quite as easy with a bank switch. I got a Tesco credit card fine through them with a £25 bonus and car insurance with £45 back both paid without fuss
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Marcoos said:

I've found it's best to do it in a largely "clean" browser - I do most stuff on Firefox with about 4-5 addons to block tracking, adverts, facebook internal tracking etc and have found TCB is a bit hit and miss, I normally search for what I want then login to my account on Chrome and order through there, sometimes I am a bit paranoid and add stuff to the cart ready, then go back to TCB and click the link again back to the site with items in the basket then proceed to order. You can also raise disputes if you don't get cashback registered - just use your order details, though it's not quite as easy with a bank switch. I got a Tesco credit card fine through them with a £25 bonus and car insurance with £45 back both paid without fuss
    or just go through incognito/private window
  • Marcoos
    Marcoos Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Marcoos said:

Cheers! I don't normally have problems with TCB and tracking on my laptop. I do much the same, sign in to the site I want to purchase from, accept cookies etc. Just curious how the tracking would work and link up from the FD site and the app. Normally TCB discourage the use of apps for retailers.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jadex said:
    Nasqueron said:
    Marcoos said:

or just go through incognito/private window
    Unfortunately many people wrongly believe this is some sort of special protection, in reality all it does is erase history on your machine - things like the websites you are accessing, your ISP / your network can still see IP address and browsing history, your location etc. Hence addons are better 
  • SickGroove
    SickGroove Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    danco said:
    A nice thing about this offer is that you have to transfer two direct debits or STANDING ORDERS. And presumably if you are switching from a burner account one standing order can be into your regular account.
    Can you just set up two standing orders each for £1 and send them to yourself in two other current accounts that you hold?
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    danco said:
    A nice thing about this offer is that you have to transfer two direct debits or STANDING ORDERS. And presumably if you are switching from a burner account one standing order can be into your regular account.
    Can you just set up two standing orders each for £1 and send them to yourself in two other current accounts that you hold?
    Yes you can, in the same way that DDs can be to other savings accounts that you hold.
  • jemj83
    jemj83 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Advice pls. I have set up 2 standing orders (which are due to be debited on 2nd April) on my chase, which I want to switch to first direct. Does anyone know if I need to wait for these to be debited before switching, or can apply for switch today? Thanks in advance
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure