store receipts

124

Comments

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No legal requirement to give a receipt for a retail sale, not even the second receipt you get when you pay by card.

    For the store's own policies such as 30 day returns when bought in shop, they can set their own rules.

    Statutory claims under CRA require proof of purchase which is not necessarily a till receipt.

    If the OP had paid by cash so had no other proof of purchase she could have stood her ground or threatened to cancel the sale. I suspect the manager would eventually have come up with a hand-written receipt accompanied by huffing, puffing and rolling of eyes.

    Either side can of course write out the receipt. The OP can go shopping armed with her own receipts 'Purchased on the above date by TracyS66 the following items...' for the sales associate or whatever they are called to sign.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    sheramber said:
    What if you don't have an email address?

    Or you don't have a printer to print off a receipt?
    Was discussed earlier... realistically how many that shop in store in a company aimed at 16-30 year olds don't have an email address or are unable to create one? Smartphone ownership in that age group is 99% and there is nothing to say the remaining c1% don't have access to a computer at home, work, school, library etc. 

    Certain stationers offer printing services and local libraries that I've been in too but again as above, most can just show it on screen.

     The problem is going to be overwhelmingly those that don't want to give their email address rather than not having one. 
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why would you need to print the receipt? You just show it to them on your phone.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why would you need to print the receipt? You just show it to them on your phone.
    If you have an email-enabled phone, yes, but there are plenty of people who use email but not a smartphone....
  • TracyS66
    TracyS66 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jon81uk said:
    TracyS66 said:
    Shopped in Dunelm yesterday all the tills said "email receipts only" when i said i wanted a printed receipt the chap serving me said we don't have any till rolls, so i said what do i do about returning the item if i need to,,, he just shrugged his shoulders. 
    If you need to return it you show the email receipt.
    I didn't want to give my email,,, they have no facility for those who either don't  want or have email addresses that was my point
  • I have an email address but don't have a printer.
    I have a mobile phone but don't use it for email.
    Any shop that didnt provide a paper receipt just wouldn't get my custom.......but then I'm not 16-30.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have an email address but don't have a printer.
    I have a mobile phone but don't use it for email.

    Then either find someone who does have a printer, acquire your own printer, or take whatever device you use for your email to the shop...
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    TracyS66 said:
    jon81uk said:
    TracyS66 said:
    Shopped in Dunelm yesterday all the tills said "email receipts only" when i said i wanted a printed receipt the chap serving me said we don't have any till rolls, so i said what do i do about returning the item if i need to,,, he just shrugged his shoulders. 
    If you need to return it you show the email receipt.
    I didn't want to give my email,,, they have no facility for those who either don't  want or have email addresses that was my point

    Which is fine but then New Look is no longer the shop for you or you accept the risks of having no receipts for your purchases. You don't have a statutory right to be their customer on your own terms nor even a right for receipt in any format. 

    Guessing you don't buy anything online? Or you give them fake emails? In which case you can give fake emails instore too but you may as well just refuse a receipt. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    TracyS66 said:
    jon81uk said:
    TracyS66 said:
    Shopped in Dunelm yesterday all the tills said "email receipts only" when i said i wanted a printed receipt the chap serving me said we don't have any till rolls, so i said what do i do about returning the item if i need to,,, he just shrugged his shoulders. 
    If you need to return it you show the email receipt.
    I didn't want to give my email,,, they have no facility for those who either don't  want or have email addresses that was my point
    Do you shop online?
    Seems like on of these situations. Where you are biting of your nose to spite your face 🤷‍♀️

    Just set up a email just for this type of situation. No need to worry about losing a receipt. My gmail acc dates from 2005 & they are still there.

    But if you read back New Look do supply paper receipts if you ask for one. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    sheramber said:
    What if you don't have an email address?

    Or you don't have a printer to print off a receipt?
    Was discussed earlier... realistically how many that shop in store in a company aimed at 16-30 year olds don't have an email address or are unable to create one? Smartphone ownership in that age group is 99% and there is nothing to say the remaining c1% don't have access to a computer at home, work, school, library etc. 

    Certain stationers offer printing services and local libraries that I've been in too but again as above, most can just show it on screen.

     The problem is going to be overwhelmingly those that don't want to give their email address rather than not having one. 
    I don’t associate Dunelm  with 16- 30 year olds. 

    No stationers where I live. 

    Many older people do not have a smart phone. Do they have to take their computer or laptop to the library to get a receipt? 
    Why should they have to go out of their way to go to a library?

    Last time I bought in Dunelm I told them I don’t have an email address. I was given a paper receipt I don’t think
    anybody in the store was under 40 , including the sales staff. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards