store receipts

Comments

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

The OP states the purchase was with NewLook so not sure why we have comments on Next's policy?
    Oops - I meant to say Newlook. Perhaps I need to go to Specsavers next door?

But just to confirm, Newlook's instore change-of-mind policy does specifically say 

To obtain a refund or exchange you’ll need your receipt and item(s) must be returned within 28 days of purchase – items must be unworn and in their original condition.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    eskbanker said:
    This does beg the question of how they'd deal with in-store return of faulty items by those who are unable or unwilling to supply an email address, who still have statutory rights.
    Statutory rights still require you to evidence that you purchased it from the retailer.
    Which can be by any type of evidence you like, there's no statutory reference to till receipts or the like (which in any event aren't incontrovertible evidence that the item being returned is that on the receipt, or that the customer is the original one...).
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    user1977 said:
    eskbanker said:
    This does beg the question of how they'd deal with in-store return of faulty items by those who are unable or unwilling to supply an email address, who still have statutory rights.
    Statutory rights still require you to evidence that you purchased it from the retailer.
    Which can be by any type of evidence you like, there's no statutory reference to till receipts or the like (which in any event aren't incontrovertible evidence that the item being returned is that on the receipt, or that the customer is the original one...).
    It can be as long as it shows what you have purchased and when... which in most circumstances will be what's on a receipt or invoice. 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    user1977 said:
    eskbanker said:
    As with all of these things, in the absence of specific evidence it's about the balance of probabilities. 

I think the issue with bank statements is if the item costs £9.99 and there's an entry for say £99.99 might be made up of one expensive item or several smaller items - and one of those smaller items may or may not include the item being returned... whereas a receipt will prove which item which was purchased for what amount from the store in that transaction. Yes, it could be a substituted items (replacing an old item with a new one) but the balance of probabilities is more in the customer's favour. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    eskbanker said:
    Statutory rights still require you to evidence that you purchased it from the retailer. If we are honest the "unwilling" is going to make up 99% of customers who say "no" to the receipt. They will have made a rod for their own back for when it comes to trying to enforce statutory rights. 
    Yes, to be clear I'm less sympathetic to those who are unwilling to share an email address, but there will still be plenty out there who don't use email, but who still have statutory rights, so it's the 'unable' rather than the 'unwilling' who have more of a legitimate gripe here, i.e. I don't see how New Look could try to insist on customers showing proof of receipt if they haven't issued this in the first place.

Granted, the Venn diagram with 'New Look customers' and 'people who don't use email' is likely to have a practically negligible intersection though, but it's the principle....
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    eskbanker said:
    eskbanker said:
    Statutory rights still require you to evidence that you purchased it from the retailer. If we are honest the "unwilling" is going to make up 99% of customers who say "no" to the receipt. They will have made a rod for their own back for when it comes to trying to enforce statutory rights. 
    Yes, to be clear I'm less sympathetic to those who are unwilling to share an email address, but there will still be plenty out there who don't use email, but who still have statutory rights, so it's the 'unable' rather than the 'unwilling' who have more of a legitimate gripe here, i.e. I don't see how New Look could try to insist on customers showing proof of receipt if they haven't issued this in the first place.

Granted, the Venn diagram with 'New Look customers' and 'people who don't use email' is likely to have a practically negligible intersection though, but it's the principle....
    You'd also need to sub divide that negligible group down further between those that choose not to have an email address and those that don't have any form of internet access, not even from local library etc. Given New Look aim at 16-35 year old women it's going to be a tiny number that truly cannot have an email address. Of those some may be court ordered in which case you probably equally have little sympathy 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,295 Forumite
    gillybean90 said:I went to till the customer advisor told me that they have gone paperless,
    Read, staff have been told to push for email receipts to save costs & capture details for further marketing.. Might even get a pat on the back for the number they do.

Rather than they have gone paperless.
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 February at 6:45PM
    gillybean90 said:I went to till the customer advisor told me that they have gone paperless,
    Read, staff have been told to push for email receipts to save costs & capture details for further marketing.. Might even get a pat on the back for the number they do.

This Instagram post from their York outlet last year would suggest otherwise:

https://www. instagram .com/p/CtG5-5vo65a/
  • gillybean90 said:I went to till the customer advisor told me that they have gone paperless,

Of course it's to save cost and gather data! 

They couldn't careless about the planet that's for sure. 

Personally I have no interest in giving my email address out in order to get a receipt. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,295 Forumite
    eskbanker said:

This Instagram post from their York outlet last year would suggest otherwise:

Same at newlook parkway.

Please check the 2 lines of small print at the bottom 👍

Don't have access to email and still need one printing, Just let one of our colleagues know at the till 

So they have a alternative, which will be ????
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure