store receipts

1235»

Comments

• This thread is getting into a crucial topic. For in store purchases, there is no legal obligation for retailers to offer a no-fault return. Thus, any returns for effectively change of mind is more than you’re legally entitled to. What this means is they can change their policy at any time, and you have two choices - either accept the new terms or withdraw from the contract (by not purchasing). 

Of course, this doesn’t affect your statutory rights, and the retailer would have to accept a bank statement or other proof of purchase to find the receipt on the system, or allow that a bank statement is enough proof of purchase to allow for the statutory rights to return if the product is faulty under the CRA. 

In addition, retailers haven’t got to accept cash (and in fact many large retailers may see it as risky and expensive - having to organise collections, audits, risk of loss, accidental error, higher risk of fake currency etc). To a lot of people, cash is certainly not king. 

To combat the ‘not everyone has emails’, ‘older people are being discriminated against’, and the other claims in the same vein - there is this mythical old person who only deals in cash, cannot use phones, cannot use email, and cannot use email - and can only be contacted by snail mail. That person doesn’t exist. In 2019, 92% had internet access - from the ONS. Between then and now there was a global pandemic where the world went pretty much online - that number is now much higher now. The people without an email address (or claim to not have an email) are either lying, or are genuinely in the small fraction without internet access. Arguably, those people in that smallest fraction of society should receive help to get them into the 21st century, as internet access could well be perceived as a necessity. Just the same as electricity. 

Ultimately - people have the right to choose where they shop. No one can force you to buy from New Look or Dunelm. If you don’t want to give out an ensil (even one designed for junk) then that is your choice, but retailers have a choice in how they operate. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    sheramber said:
    sheramber said:
    What if you don't have an email address?

Or you don't have a printer to print off a receipt?
    Was discussed earlier... realistically how many that shop in store in a company aimed at 16-30 year olds don't have an email address or are unable to create one? Smartphone ownership in that age group is 99% and there is nothing to say the remaining c1% don't have access to a computer at home, work, school, library etc. 

Certain stationers offer printing services and local libraries that I've been in too but again as above, most can just show it on screen.

The problem is going to be overwhelmingly those that don't want to give their email address rather than not having one. 
    Many older people do not have a smart phone. Do they have to take their computer or laptop to the library to get a receipt? 

Why can't they log into their email at the library?

I would also hazard a guess that the sort of demographic which only has a computer at home is more likely (than the smartphone-owning yoofs) also to have a printer.
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    my mother in law is 92 never been on the internet never had a smart phone no email so people shouldn't that everybody does
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 February at 12:03PM
    sheramber said:
    sheramber said:

Was discussed earlier... realistically how many that shop in store in a company aimed at 16-30 year olds don't have an email address or are unable to create one? Smartphone ownership in that age group is 99% and there is nothing to say the remaining c1% don't have access to a computer at home, work, school, library etc. 

Certain stationers offer printing services and local libraries that I've been in too but again as above, most can just show it on screen.

The problem is going to be overwhelmingly those that don't want to give their email address rather than not having one. 
    I don’t associate Dunelm  with 16- 30 year olds. 

No stationers where I live. 

Many older people do not have a smart phone. Do they have to take their computer or laptop to the library to get a receipt? 
    Why should they have to go out of their way to go to a library?

Last time I bought in Dunelm I told them I don’t have an email address. I was given a paper receipt I don’t think
    anybody in the store was under 40 , including the sales staff. 
    The OP said it was NewLook, assume we are trying to keep vaguely on topic. 

No, they don't need to take their computer to a library, libraries have computers you can use. 

Given we are talking in store purchases where your statutory right is only for faulty goods surely the same argument of "why should they have to go out their way" also applies to why do they have to take the faulty toaster back to the shop? Surely the shop should come and get it. Similarly they shouldn't need to have to find packaging materials and the shop should provide them too?

The reality of life is that there is some inconvenience and if you make certain choices it may be higher or lower. 

tedted said:
    my mother in law is 92 never been on the internet never had a smart phone no email so people shouldn't that everybody does
    And how often does she go out shopping on her own to run into this problem? 

It's going to be an ever decreasing population and one that increasingly won't be hitting the high street on their own. Anyone in their 80s is likely to have been working up to 2000 or later and by that point computers were common in the work place. 

My mother, in her 80s, got a smart phone before me and has had a home computer since the late 90s. There are bunch of old boys in our local all late 70s or 80s (one is 91) and all have iPhones - they were mainly trades men back in their working life. For a lot its to keep in touch with grandkids etc who no longer live local but they've email, they watch the game on it as the pub doesn't have Sky or equiv. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Where I lived  until recently 90 % of the residents were seniors who did not own computers nor smart phones. 
    Goods were bought by cash which obtained from the local sun post office.

Nearest town with. Library was20 miles away. Not exactly convenient. 

My local council is intending for the library  to go to self service due to lack of money to pay staff. 

The people I  see using the internet there bring there own laptops. 

No computers in sight.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    sheramber said:
    sheramber said:

I don’t associate Dunelm  with 16- 30 year olds. 

No stationers where I live. 

Why should they have to go out of their way to go to a library?

Last time I bought in Dunelm I told them I don’t have an email address. I was given a paper receipt I don’t think
    anybody in the store was under 40 , including the sales staff. 
    The OP said it was NewLook, assume we are trying to keep vaguely on topic. 

No, they don't need to take their computer to a library, libraries have computers you can use. 

Given we are talking in store purchases where your statutory right is only for faulty goods surely the same argument of "why should they have to go out their way" also applies to why do they have to take the faulty toaster back to the shop? Surely the shop should come and get it. Similarly they shouldn't need to have to find packaging materials and the shop should provide them too?

The reality of life is that there is some inconvenience and if you make certain choices it may be higher or lower. 

tedted said:
    And how often does she go out shopping on her own to run into this problem? 

It's going to be an ever decreasing population and one that increasingly won't be hitting the high street on their own. Anyone in their 80s is likely to have been working up to 2000 or later and by that point computers were common in the work place. 

My mother, in her 80s, got a smart phone before me and has had a home computer since the late 90s. There are bunch of old boys in our local all late 70s or 80s (one is 91) and all have iPhones - they were mainly trades men back in their working life. For a lot its to keep in touch with grandkids etc who no longer live local but they've email, they watch the game on it as the pub doesn't have Sky or equiv. 
    You must have missed  TracyS66’s more recent post which was referring to Dunelm. 

Using a computer at work doesn’t mean they have a computer at home or a smart phone. 

A receipt is proof that you have purchased the item and are not shoplifting it. 

I am quite happy to leave my goods at the till if they won’t give me a receipt.
  • DullGreyGuy
    sheramber said:
    Using a computer at work doesn’t mean they have a computer at home or a smart phone. 

No it doesn't but it does mean that computers, email, internet etc are not scary alien concepts to you and so greatly increases the chance of you having one or at least knowing how to use one if you needed to do something. My mother bought hers because she was taking early(ish) retirement and decided she couldn't live life without the convenience of email having used it for 2 years at work. 

And you're entitled to do that... just as they are entitled not to offer paper receipts. Increasingly you'll find places you cannot shop just as those that insist on using cash rather than cards. 

sheramber said:
    Where I lived  until recently 90 % of the residents were seniors who did not own computers nor smart phones. 

My local council is intending for the library  to go to self service due to lack of money to pay staff. 

No computers in sight.
    Then you live in an atypical location, over 70% of the 65+ category had a smartphone last year. Not sure how senior your seniors are but 90% of the 65-75 range "use the internet" according to Age UK

Its also not convenient for me to have to go back to a shop in Birmingham if I buy something on a trip there and then get home and find its damaged but as mentioned, thats life unfortunately. If not having a paper receipt is going to be too much trouble then choose not to buy or accept paying a higher price elsewhere. 
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    sheramber said:

No it doesn't but it does mean that computers, email, internet etc are not scary alien concepts to you and so greatly increases the chance of you having one or at least knowing how to use one if you needed to do something. My mother bought hers because she was taking early(ish) retirement and decided she couldn't live life without the convenience of email having used it for 2 years at work. 

And you're entitled to do that... just as they are entitled not to offer paper receipts. Increasingly you'll find places you cannot shop just as those that insist on using cash rather than cards. 

sheramber said:

No computers in sight.
    Then you live in an atypical location, over 70% of the 65+ category had a smartphone last year. Not sure how senior your seniors are but 90% of the 65-75 range "use the internet" according to Age UK

Its also not convenient for me to have to go back to a shop in Birmingham if I buy something on a trip there and then get home and find its damaged but as mentioned, thats life unfortunately. If not having a paper receipt is going to be too much trouble then choose not to buy or accept paying a higher price elsewhere. 
    Exactly this. They are still offering receipt, just not printing them out for you. Given the vast majority of receipts are just binned (or stored for a few years then binned) - I actually fully support the transition to electronic receipts. Better records, with more detailed receipts on a medium that can survive the rain. How amazing, and very money saving as you can always find your receipts simply by searching! 

People will always be martyrs - and use cherry picked examples to make straw man arguments, or what aboutism claims. Realistically, the absolute vast majority of people do have an email. And you can always set up a junk one to send all the spam - for example RefluentBeansJunk @gmail…

If someone hasn’t got email that means that they:
    > haven’t got any electronic bills
    > haven’t ever been online shopping
    > have no online presence
    > have no BBC account
    > likely have no mobile phone
    > have no memberships that require an email

Simply, they require assistance from other people; or they’re completely off the grid. 
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
      or
    sheramber said:

sheramber said:

No computers in sight.

Exactly this. They are still offering receipt, just not printing them out for you. Given the vast majority of receipts are just binned (or stored for a few years then binned) - I actually fully support the transition to electronic receipts. Better records, with more detailed receipts on a medium that can survive the rain. How amazing, and very money saving as you can always find your receipts simply by searching! 

People will always be martyrs - and use cherry picked examples to make straw man arguments, or what aboutism claims. Realistically, the absolute vast majority of people do have an email. And you can always set up a junk one to send all the spam - for example RefluentBeansJunk @gmail…

If someone hasn’t got email that means that they:
    > haven’t got any electronic bills
    > haven’t ever been online shopping
    > have no online presence
    > have no BBC account
    > likely have no mobile phone
    > have no memberships that require an email

Simply, they require assistance from other people; or they’re completely off the grid. 

Or even tesco+RefluentBeansJunk @gmail or Newlook+RefluentBeansJunk @gmail - They all go to the same email account, but you will know what's come from where.

I'm all in favour of email receipts. However my mum and dad don't have a computer or smartphone. The phones they do have they always keep switched off unless they want to use them. Anything that requires an email, they just use mine. I do their car insurance, house insurance etc and it all works fine.
  • DullGreyGuy
    sheramber said:

sheramber said:

No computers in sight.

The other problem with printed receipts is that many use thermal paper which means the print will only last circa 6 months whereas electronic receipts will last indefinitely. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback