Maleth Aero flight delays (MLT1972 LGW- Barbados 6th January) & others delayed FROM a UK airport

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mdann52 said:
    As you were delayed less than 4 hours on the return, this is not eligible for compensation under UK261.
    Three hours was the benchmark determined in the usually-quoted Sturgeon v Condor case, with no distance-related bandings applied?
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    mdann52 said:
    As you were delayed less than 4 hours on the return, this is not eligible for compensation under UK261.
    Three hours was the benchmark determined in the usually-quoted Sturgeon v Condor case, with no distance-related bandings applied?
    Sorry had a brainfart there! UK261 has also been amended to state that 3 hours is the limit, I note
  • Woodge13
    Woodge13 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    We were also on MLT1972 Much the same as everyone else, filled in the form, got acknowledgment saying they will deal with it and let us know, chased again today. I do not intend to give up! I’m so incensed by the whole thing. Like others I will never go anywhere with P & O again, until this we have never been cruising with any other company and it goes without saying we will never travel with Maleth either. In fact it’s put us off going on holiday in general. 
  • Suzycoll
    Suzycoll Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woodge13 said:
    We were also on MLT1972 Much the same as everyone else, filled in the form, got acknowledgment saying they will deal with it and let us know, chased again today. I do not intend to give up! I’m so incensed by the whole thing. Like others I will never go anywhere with P & O again, until this we have never been cruising with any other company and it goes without saying we will never travel with Maleth either. In fact it’s put us off going on holiday in general. 
    I'm with you Woodge13, I will not give up either . I have today sent another e mail to Maleth and I will follow up in 28 days 
  • spugh70
    spugh70 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi, we were on the flight from Manchester on 29th December 2023, which was delayed for 5 hours. I sent the forms off to Maleth on 15th January 2024 as soon as we arrived home.  I waited until 27th Feb for a reply, as I didn't receive one, I have emailed them again and copied in CAA.  CAA replied with a generic email to say they are looking into it, but they have delays due to the amount of requests they have received. It is now 4 weeks later and still no acknowledgement from Maleth to either email. I will never cruise with P&O again, the way they have treated their customers is shocking. 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 March at 11:21PM
    Options
    spugh70 said:
    I will never cruise with P&O again, the way they have treated their customers is shocking. 
    I've never been on a cruise, not sure it's my thing.  But they can't be a very good holiday if a few hours flight delay can ruin the entire thing.
  • Suzycoll
    Options
    spugh70 said:
    Hi, we were on the flight from Manchester on 29th December 2023, which was delayed for 5 hours. I sent the forms off to Maleth on 15th January 2024 as soon as we arrived home.  I waited until 27th Feb for a reply, as I didn't receive one, I have emailed them again and copied in CAA.  CAA replied with a generic email to say they are looking into it, but they have delays due to the amount of requests they have received. It is now 4 weeks later and still no acknowledgement from Maleth to either email. I will never cruise with P&O again, the way they have treated their customers is shocking. 
    hi spugh70, could you advise how to contact CAA please ?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Suzycoll said:
    spugh70 said:
    hi spugh70, could you advise how to contact CAA please ?
    https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/how-the-caa-can-help/how-the-caa-can-help/ explains the process and has the relevant links.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just had a quick look at Tripadvisor which also has a file on Maleth, over 1300 replies and not one person has had a response, so don't hold your breath. Although UK261 is clear that it is the operating airline that is responsible, it is clear they have no intention of paying out, after all for every delayed flight at £520 per person with 300 passengers per flight, it would cost over £150,000 per flight if everyone complained (which they don't of course) so maybe the time has come to change tack and go after P & O . Under the Package Travel Regulations 2018 the package organiser is responsible for every part of the package, including services (such as the flight) to be provided by third parties. Regulations 15 and 16 may well be a route to consider making claims against P & O for the failures of the airline they chose. 
  • Suzycoll
    Options
    Just had a quick look at Tripadvisor which also has a file on Maleth, over 1300 replies and not one person has had a response, so don't hold your breath. Although UK261 is clear that it is the operating airline that is responsible, it is clear they have no intention of paying out, after all for every delayed flight at £520 per person with 300 passengers per flight, it would cost over £150,000 per flight if everyone complained (which they don't of course) so maybe the time has come to change tack and go after P & O . Under the Package Travel Regulations 2018 the package organiser is responsible for every part of the package, including services (such as the flight) to be provided by third parties. Regulations 15 and 16 may well be a route to consider making claims against P & O for the failures of the airline they chose. 
    Good idea Alan
    Although I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't 'go after' P & O but I can't remember the reason why? 🤔
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback