Maleth Aero flight delays (MLT1972 LGW- Barbados 6th January) & others delayed FROM a UK airport

Comments

• I too was delayed in December by 10 hours.  Sent the required letter and got a response saying my claim would be registered.  I chased up and received an email saying the claim would be settled mid January.  I have chased 7 times in all and have not had any further responses.  I don’t think they intend to pay out and P&O don’t want to know.  Any advice appreciated, 
  • Suzycoll
    Suzycoll Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I too was delayed in December by 10 hours.  Sent the required letter and got a response saying my claim would be registered.  I chased up and received an email saying the claim would be settled mid January.  I have chased 7 times in all and have not had any further responses.  I don’t think they intend to pay out and P&O don’t want to know.  Any advice appreciated, 

I too was delayed in December by 10 hours.  Sent the required letter and got a response saying my claim would be registered.  I chased up and received an email saying the claim would be settled mid January.  I have chased 7 times in all and have not had any further responses.  I don’t think they intend to pay out and P&O don’t want to know.  Any advice appreciated, 

jennys28 said:
    search (on the flight compensation thread) for another post called 'Jet 2 claim for late flight' by  withaspritz. There is a very helpful letter that he wrote to Jet 2. I just used this as a template and adapted it to my particular flight/circumstance. I poste
     said:
    Graydo said:
    Hi
    I too was affected by Maleth aero on our return from Barbados to Manchester on 1/12/23.

In our case a 10hr delay caused by a technical fault on the plane leaving Manchester, Maleth sourced another plane which also suffered a technical fault and finally a third from France (apparently) which was deemed airworthy but caused the 10 hr delay.

I have submitted online claims via Maleth's webpage (after their statutory 72 hrs) for delays as requested by iglu cruise (the booking agent) AND another claim the next day with a booking reference that Maleth could recognise (they apparently do not acknowledge iglu booking ref's).

Having no response from either email I resubmitted my claim at iglu's request yet again on the 19th January and finally again today.
    To date, I have had no reply from either Maleth or P and O and am  now looking into pursuing a pact claim via the CAA website.

Iglu's best advice is to resubmit my claim every two weeks!

I have no idea if I will ever see any compensation from Maleth or P and O but I do know it will be the last I fly/sail with either of them.

Hope you have better luck than me

Graydo
    Hi Graydo

Thanks for your post. Quick update I have received a generic e mail reply from Maleth Aero today. Just saying thanks for claim and they will respond as soon as possible.

Also to let you know - there is an old post on here entitled 'JET2 claim for late flight'. If you can find that there is a really useful letter template you can use to send to Maleth Aero (before going to CAA). I used it a few years back and got paid out.

Good luck and keep posting with any news/no news etc 
    Did anybody manage to find the template that @Suzycoll mentioned - i've had look but can't find it. 
    HI Jenny . I am sorry but i cant find it either ! it was basically a letter to send before taking action in the small claims court. I used it and done the trick with JET2. I will search in my e mails to see if I can find it -  not quite sure if it will work with Maleth though? Personally I am waiting a few weeks when I will chase Maleth before I take any action . Report back if you have any luck 
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Suzycoll said:
    HI Jenny . I am sorry but i cant find it either ! it was basically a letter to send before taking action in the small claims court. I used it and done the trick with JET2. I will search in my e mails to see if I can find it -  not quite sure if it will work with Maleth though? Personally I am waiting a few weeks when I will chase Maleth before I take any action . Report back if you have any luck 
    As mentioned by others, it is here. This, however, is not a "letter before claim" as required before starting claim in the UK. It is probably also worth complaining via the CAA PACT team if you have had no response after 8 weeks. Maleth are not a member of any ADR schemes, so this is the only other route open.

I repeat my earlier caution that Maleth appear to have no UK address or assets so any attempts to claim via the UK courts will be futile, and might well mean that they do not have jurisdiction over any claim. Any recovery action will need to be via the Maltese courts. I would strongly advise recruiting a claim management company on a no-win-no-fee basis if you feel you want to take things further.
  • My wife and I were also passengers on the “third plane lucky” Maleth aero flight 1st Dec2023 from Barbados flight to Manchester.  P&O passed all responsibility to Maleth, surprise, surprise. I completed the on line claim form. Received a reply to say it was been looked into. Heard nothing for a month so contacted them again and received another reply saying again it was been looked into. It looks like their policy is to hope you eventually give up. 
  • mdann52
    Rosemally said:
    P&O passed all responsibility to Maleth, surprise, surprise. 
    Legally they are correct, unfortunately, as it's the operating carrier who is responsible for any compensation. Morally, another question!
    Rosemally said:
    Heard nothing for a month so contacted them again and received another reply saying again it was been looked into. 
    After 8 weeks you can complain to the CAA
  • Hi we have just returned home form a P&O Cruise flight from Antigua to Manchester landing on Sunday 25th February 9.30 hours delayed, have been given a letter from P&O to make a claim from MalethAero, do you think it’s worth trying to claim has anyone had any luck?  Our whole flight got the letters, the plane was being repaired in Manchester so they were all delayed as well.  There is going to be lots of people looking for answers No help on ship.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tyrone89 said:
    Hi we have just returned home form a P&O Cruise flight from Antigua to Manchester landing on Sunday 25th February 9.30 hours delayed, have been given a letter from P&O to make a claim from MalethAero, do you think it’s worth trying to claim has anyone had any luck?  Our whole flight got the letters, the plane was being repaired in Manchester so they were all delayed as well.  There is going to be lots of people looking for answers No help on ship.
    It's certainly worth trying to claim. There's no reports of any successes yet. But taking months to pay out is normal for major international carriers let alone small charter airlines. 
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maleth Aero have confirmed their contract ends in March and they have not been contracted for next winter, although P & O haven't said who the replacement will be. Still, on the basis they are not going to be flying from the UK again, I fear they will ignore everyone's claim knowing they are effectively off the hook. I am not sure the CAA can do anything at all in this case, if we were still members of the EU there would still be lines of contact with the Maltese authorities but they are seemingly severed. 
  • We were delayed going out from Manchester to Antigua 30/12/23 for over 6 hours ( we were given a £10 voucher) and the return journey from Antigua to Manchester 13/1/24 for over 3 hours (had to leave our cabins at 10am with no where to change except the toilets). Filled in the forms for both journeys but didn't even get a response email. We lost half a day on the ship and no response from Maleth or P&O. Disgraceful behaviour in my view.
  • mdann52
    edited 27 February at 6:46PM
     Still, on the basis they are not going to be flying from the UK again, I fear they will ignore everyone's claim knowing they are effectively off the hook.
    You can still claim against them in Maltese Courts, even if they ignore your claim. There's a chance you can claim in UK courts as well, but this isn't guaranteed.

We were delayed going out from Manchester to Antigua 30/12/23 for over 6 hours ( we were given a £10 voucher) and the return journey from Antigua to Manchester 13/1/24 for over 3 hours (had to leave our cabins at 10am with no where to change except the toilets). Filled in the forms for both journeys but didn't even get a response email. We lost half a day on the ship and no response from Maleth or P&O. Disgraceful behaviour in my view.
    You might be due compensation for the outward leg, depending on the cause of the delay. As you were delayed less than 4 hours on the return, this is not eligible for compensation under UK261.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback