Maleth Aero flight delays (MLT1972 LGW- Barbados 6th January) & others delayed FROM a UK airport

Options

Comments

• Suzycoll
    Suzycoll Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their website avoids having any contact details at all, which is 'unusual' for an airline. Their address for claims appears to be

Maleth-Aero

Area 3, Security Gate 1, Malta International Airport, Luqa, LQA 3290, Malta

but whether anyone will see their money is another issue. The claim, if everyone claims, equates to 375 x £520 which is £195,000 per flight and I very much doubt after this winter's issues they are likely to be seen in British airspace again in the near future, so they may take the view that they have nothing to lose by ignoring the claims. I hope I am wrong, best of luck to those who try!

Thanks for your comments Alan. I specifically opened this for ppl on this flight . To keep things simple & not to clog up the timeline could you only comment if affected. Thanks 
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 February at 4:26PM
    Options
    Ingypie said:
    Hi, I'm following this as I  was delayed over 9 hours on our Maleth return flight from Barbados to Manchester in December. 
    After contacting P & O, I was directed to the Maleth Aero website where there is a page to make a claim. If they have no intention of processing these claims, then surely this would be fraudulent?
    Also, these flights were sold as a complete package with all money paid to P & O. Are P & O obligated to ensure that their sub-contractors adhere to regulations, especially as they're directing customers to the Maleth website to instigate claims.
    <Note - response to thread hijack - not relevant to original flight in the header>
    This is different from the flight mentioned above by Suzycoll, as it is the other way round - ie landing in the UK, not departing from the UK.

Unfortunately, under these circumstances, this flight doesn't qualify for compensation under EU261, because despite being operated by an EU airline, it does not depart or arrive in the EU, so is not covered by the regulations.

It also doesn't qualify for compensation under UK261 (the UK equivalent law), as despite landing in the uk, it is not operated by a UK carrier.

Only the operating carrier is liable for compensation for delays, not the agent, so P&O are not on the hook for anything here legally either.
  • Suzycoll
    Options
    mdann52 said:
    Ingypie said:
    Hi, I'm following this as I  was delayed over 9 hours on our Maleth return flight from Barbados to Manchester in December. 
    After contacting P & O, I was directed to the Maleth Aero website where there is a page to make a claim. If they have no intention of processing these claims, then surely this would be fraudulent?
    Also, these flights were sold as a complete package with all money paid to P & O. Are P & O obligated to ensure that their sub-contractors adhere to regulations, especially as they're directing customers to the Maleth website to instigate claims.
    Unfortunately, your flight doesn't qualify for compensation under EU261, as a non-EU to non-EU flight.

Only the operating carrier is liable for compensation for delays, not the agent
    Mdann... with respect can you please stop commenting? Your information is inaccurate & may confuse people who had made a claim with this flight & Maleth air  . Thanks 
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Suzycoll said:
    Mdann... with respect can you please stop commenting? Your information is inaccurate & may confuse people who had made a claim with this flight & Maleth air  . Thanks 
    In the context of the question above, it was accurate. Unfortunately I missed the fact this was a flight specific post. I've also updated above to clarify my comment is about another flight. I'm trying my best to offer advice and guidance, so apologies if you don't agree with what I'm saying. The question about the length of delay was a genuine one to check you were aware of the threshold, as some people on this board are not aware that distance matters for claims. 

I still maintain that if you do attempt to recover any money, you need to make sure you are claiming under the UK regulations (ie the version implemented under the The Air Passenger Rights and Air Travel Organisers' Licensing (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019), not the EU regulations. 

The EU regulations do not apply to your flight, as these require an air itinerary to either depart the EU, or arrive into the EU on an EU carrier, which doesn't apply here. As you mentioned them being an EU airline, I wanted to double-check you are aware of this.
    The UK regulations do as you departed the UK. This actually works in your favour as they are more generous in terms of monetary compensation than the EU ones normally are due to changing interest rates.

I still maintain that if Maleth do not reply to your claim or claim a defence, you will have a battle trying to recover any money as Maleth have no UK presence or address to serve documents on. A complaint to the CAA might well be worthwhile if you have no response in 8 weeks, via the PACT team.
  • HAL_9000_2
    HAL_9000_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February at 12:27PM
    Options
    Suzycoll said:
    mdann52 said:
    Ingypie said:
    Unfortunately, your flight doesn't qualify for compensation under EU261, as a non-EU to non-EU flight.

SuzyColl,

With respect it is not your place to say who can and cannot post replies on this thread.
  • Suzycoll
    Options
    Suzycoll said:
    mdann52 said:
    Ingypie said:

SuzyColl,

With respect it is not your place to say who can and cannot post replies on this thread.
    yes you are right.

However, I specifically mentioned on the post it was just for people affected by Maleth Aero delays (re any compensation successes or not!). Otherwise the thread tends to get clogged up with other topics and it is difficult for people to keep track.

With respect, maybe if people want to make comments re Maleth Aero per se they can open their own post?
  • Graydo
    Graydo Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I too was affected by Maleth aero on our return from Barbados to Manchester on 1/12/23.

In our case a 10hr delay caused by a technical fault on the plane leaving Manchester, Maleth sourced another plane which also suffered a technical fault and finally a third from France (apparently) which was deemed airworthy but caused the 10 hr delay.

I have submitted online claims via Maleth's webpage (after their statutory 72 hrs) for delays as requested by iglu cruise (the booking agent) AND another claim the next day with a booking reference that Maleth could recognise (they apparently do not acknowledge iglu booking ref's).

Having no response from either email I resubmitted my claim at iglu's request yet again on the 19th January and finally again today.
    To date, I have had no reply from either Maleth or P and O and am  now looking into pursuing a pact claim via the CAA website.

Iglu's best advice is to resubmit my claim every two weeks!

I have no idea if I will ever see any compensation from Maleth or P and O but I do know it will be the last I fly/sail with either of them.

Hope you have better luck than me

Graydo
  • Suzycoll
    Options
    Graydo said:
    Hi
    I too was affected by Maleth aero on our return from Barbados to Manchester on 1/12/23.

In our case a 10hr delay caused by a technical fault on the plane leaving Manchester, Maleth sourced another plane which also suffered a technical fault and finally a third from France (apparently) which was deemed airworthy but caused the 10 hr delay.

I have submitted online claims via Maleth's webpage (after their statutory 72 hrs) for delays as requested by iglu cruise (the booking agent) AND another claim the next day with a booking reference that Maleth could recognise (they apparently do not acknowledge iglu booking ref's).

Having no response from either email I resubmitted my claim at iglu's request yet again on the 19th January and finally again today.
    To date, I have had no reply from either Maleth or P and O and am  now looking into pursuing a pact claim via the CAA website.

Iglu's best advice is to resubmit my claim every two weeks!

I have no idea if I will ever see any compensation from Maleth or P and O but I do know it will be the last I fly/sail with either of them.

Hope you have better luck than me

Graydo
    Hi Graydo

Thanks for your post. Quick update I have received a generic e mail reply from Maleth Aero today. Just saying thanks for claim and they will respond as soon as possible.

Also to let you know - there is an old post on here entitled 'JET2 claim for late flight'. If you can find that there is a really useful letter template you can use to send to Maleth Aero (before going to CAA). I used it a few years back and got paid out.

Good luck and keep posting with any news/no news etc 
  • Graydo
    Graydo Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks, will do.

I'll check out the template too.
    (still no acknowledgement email from Maleth)

Graydo
  • Janetrobo150
    Options
    Robo
    Had the misfortune to have booked p o Carribbean trip wef 27th January 2024, maleth aero flight delayed 6.25hrs approx. P o have offered no assistance or indeed an apology.  Maleth aero has issued acknowledgement of claim form, but as they are not part of the adr scheme I do not think they will pay up. Also the cost of these delayed flight to a relatively small airline will be astronomical. Po di not wish to answer any questions about this, but I feel they did not do due diligence on the airline company which has left there customers with ab below standard carrier.    We will not be booking another cruise any time soon.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback