Maleth Aero flight delays (MLT1972 LGW- Barbados 6th January) & others delayed FROM a UK airport

Suzycoll
Suzycoll Posts: 133
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 10 February at 4:15PM in Flight delay compensation
Hi All

I am opening  this thread for passengers on any Maleth Aero flight that has had delays 4 hours +. (the flight I was on was MLT1972 on 6th Jan 2024 LGW - Barbados)

The intention is not to go into the details of the flight/s delays or to criticise Maleth Aero/P & O. Just to keep track/discuss everyone's compensation claims. Please don't clog the thread up with incidental comments.

I have today submitted my claim to Maleth Aero (via the claim form given on the letter that was delivered to my cabin). I have not had any acknowledgement e mail by return. I have diarised 4 weeks from today to chase 

Would be interested to see how everyone else will/has got on with the claim?

Thanks 






«134

Comments

  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 46
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 12:43PM
    Good luck with your claim.

    However, Maleth Aero appear to have no UK address or be subscribed to an ADR scheme, so any court action in the UK is going to be difficult if they do not pay up.

    Do you know the reason for the delay? Looking at Flight Aware, the delay was under 4 hours, and the flight over 3000km, so I'm not sure if this qualifies, unless I've missed something!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,385
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are likely to be other dates, there were long delays this weekend on Maleth flights,  not P&Os finest decision.
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 46
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    daveyjp said:
    There are likely to be other dates, there were long delays this weekend on Maleth flights,  not P&Os finest decision.
    Indeed, but this specific flight does not seem to be covered.

    I gather Maleth was very much a last-minute decision when TUI could not fulfil the requirements, with the other option cancelling flights and holidays.
  • Suzycoll
    Suzycoll Posts: 133
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mdann52 said:
    Good luck with your claim.

    However, Maleth Aero appear to have no UK address or be subscribed to an ADR scheme, so any court action in the UK is going to be difficult if they do not pay up.

    Do you know the reason for the delay? Looking at Flight Aware, the delay was under 4 hours, and the flight over 3000km, so I'm not sure if this qualifies, unless I've missed something!
    The flight delay was 4.5 hrs . Had a letter in cabin to confirm. MALETH is a European  airline so will have to pay up in the end. With respect i opened this thread specifically for other passengers to keep tabs re refund although thanks for your comments 
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 46
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 3:05PM
    Suzycoll said:
     MALETH is a European  airline so will have to pay up in the end.
    With respect, this has nothing to do with this situation.

    As a UK->Non UK flight, the relevant regulation are the UK regulations, not the EU261 regulations, these have somewhat changed and the two sets of legislation are slightly different. The fact they are an EU airline is irrelevant, as the flight does not touch an EU country, so EU261 does not apply.

    I agree that, if the delay from door close to door open was 4.5 hours, there is the potential of a claim. I'm just making you aware of the issues you might face later on in the claim if Maleth don't play ball, as issuing and enforcing judgements against non-UK based airlines is notoriously difficult and often not straightforward. Maleth also are not a member of an ADR scheme, so you don't have the option of that either
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,024
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 4:52PM
    mdann52 said:
    daveyjp said:
    There are likely to be other dates, there were long delays this weekend on Maleth flights,  not P&Os finest decision.
    Indeed, but this specific flight does not seem to be covered.

    I gather Maleth was very much a last-minute decision when TUI could not fulfil the requirements, with the other option cancelling flights and holidays.
    P&O and TUI had never entered into a contract for the flying that Maleth have undertaken.  P&O were well aware of what TUI could fulfill this winter and they'd signed a contract for that flying. A lot on the various web forums like to suggest that TUI let P&O down but it's simply not the case.  

    TUI had commitments for their aircraft so couldn't take on extra flights, and P&O have larger ships in the Caribbean this winter which left P&O short of 1200+ flight seats each week.  There's no other widebody charter aircraft available in the UK anymore and P&O had sold the cruises and needed cabins filling! They've allegedly paid alot for the Maleth flights.

    Apologies in advance to the OP
  • Ingypie
    Ingypie Posts: 1
    First Post
    Newbie
    Hi, I'm following this as I  was delayed over 9 hours on our Maleth return flight from Barbados to Manchester in December. 
    After contacting P & O, I was directed to the Maleth Aero website where there is a page to make a claim. If they have no intention of processing these claims, then surely this would be fraudulent?
    Also, these flights were sold as a complete package with all money paid to P & O. Are P & O obligated to ensure that their sub-contractors adhere to regulations, especially as they're directing customers to the Maleth website to instigate claims.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,024
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 February at 10:32AM
    Ingypie said:
    Hi, I'm following this as I  was delayed over 9 hours on our Maleth return flight from Barbados to Manchester in December. 
    After contacting P & O, I was directed to the Maleth Aero website where there is a page to make a claim. If they have no intention of processing these claims, then surely this would be fraudulent?
    I don't think there's been anything to suggest Maleth don't intend to pay legitimate EC261 claims? The P&O operation is the first time Maleth have operated a big series of flights out of the UK so there's not much data on how good or bad they are. Many airlines drag out the process as much a possible.

    Ingypie said:
    Also, these flights were sold as a complete package with all money paid to P & O. Are P & O obligated to ensure that their sub-contractors adhere to regulations, especially as they're directing customers to the Maleth website to instigate claims.

    Flight delays happen, even on TUI operated flights. The EC261 legislation on flight delays applies only to the operating airline, P&O have no responsibility in terms of EC261 claims. 
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,840
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Their website avoids having any contact details at all, which is 'unusual' for an airline. Their address for claims appears to be

    Maleth-Aero

    Area 3, Security Gate 1, Malta International Airport, Luqa, LQA 3290, Malta

    but whether anyone will see their money is another issue. The claim, if everyone claims, equates to 375 x £520 which is £195,000 per flight and I very much doubt after this winter's issues they are likely to be seen in British airspace again in the near future, so they may take the view that they have nothing to lose by ignoring the claims. I hope I am wrong, best of luck to those who try!


  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,024
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Their website avoids having any contact details at all, which is 'unusual' for an airline. Their address for claims appears to be

    Maleth-Aero

    Area 3, Security Gate 1, Malta International Airport, Luqa, LQA 3290, Malta

    but whether anyone will see their money is another issue. The claim, if everyone claims, equates to 375 x £520 which is £195,000 per flight and I very much doubt after this winter's issues they are likely to be seen in British airspace again in the near future, so they may take the view that they have nothing to lose by ignoring the claims. I hope I am wrong, best of luck to those who try!


    There is a Delays page with a claim for for EC261 (although there's no actual link to the page from anywhere else on their website). Assume this is the link P&O are giving to their customers, as referred to above.

    https://www.malethaero.com/delays
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards