Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my daughter she needn't have me over next Christmas?

Options

Comments

• PMK1910
    PMK1910 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A widowed friend takes herself off for christmas most years. She goes to a nice hotel with lots of interesting events planned over the 2 or 3 days she is there. So that's an option to break out and do something different. But like many others I suspect your daughter is just asking for help, both financially and physically. Offer to pay for a big takeaway so she isn't feeding everyone one night, or take them out for a meal, could be a lunch to keep the cost down. You don't say whether your other daughter could host, or if she joins in with you all so perhaps a year of not being in sole charge is what your other daughter needs. But the most important thing is to have the conversation with her. What would her ideal Christmas be.....and how can you all make it happen. Your present to her. 
  • Kerienn
    Kerienn Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes I have a feeling these MSE dilemmas are fabricated stories.  But if this one is true here is my take on the subject:

Husband doesn't want mother in law staying over anymore for various reasons. He tells his wife. Wife don't want to go against husband but don't want husband and mom to fall out/have an argument/hurt mom's feelings so she prepares mom/sawing seeds a few months before Christmas about the cost of living, hoping mom will feeling guilty and voluntarily offer them not to stay over.

Solution:
    Mom quietly accept she is not welcome and move on. Next Christmas she pays for a solo cruise ship holiday and make friends and have fun.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is your daughter doing more for Christmas because they have a guest? I.e. not just one more serving, but serving more expensive food? I think you'd be better just to have a conversation to understand why she made that comment and then you can figure out what to do. 
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Gosportmum
    Gosportmum Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you give her a financial contribution? If not, I think you should have done or have a discussion how you can contribute.
  • Grouchiest
    Grouchiest Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot fathom why you wouldn’t simply offer to contribute financially to the stay, within your means. Loads of people are struggling in the current climate and you might be but you must have saved something during your stay.
  • retired19
    retired19 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Weve hosted my mum for the last few years since my dad passed away. Yes sometimes it's added to the expense but let's be honest we'd have the heating on for Christmas day anyway. Did you know that a human adult gives out heat so the more people in the room the less energy the heating system uses. If it's the food/drink bill that's the problem then why not talk to your daughter about bringing the sprouts or other items with you. She might just appreciate your bringing them ready prepared. You say you have another daughter can you alternate with her? In our case my sister lives too far away but it could be possible for you. Anyway the best advice I can think of is talk to your daughters perhaps next summer so you all have time to consider the best option to suit you all.
    I know one thing we missed my mum this year at lunch as she's now too frail to come out from her nursing home to visit us 
  • Rd1994
    Rd1994 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Definitely not, I’m sure your daughter wants to spend it with you. I make throw away comments about things being expensive with family members but I hope they don’t think I wouldn’t want them there!! Christmas is a time to be with family even if it means having a cheaper day / forgoing some presents or food. I hope you still spend it with your daughter I’m sure she didn’t mean this :) 
  • linda2711
    Options
    Christmas is expensive and maybe there was a little hint. Hopefully you are in a position to be able to contribute toward proceeding. Maybe you could volunteer to buy the Turkey or give a monetary contribution etc. Definitely not a reason to spend Christmas on your own.
  • Groom
    Groom Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    If you really think it is just expense, offer to buy parts of the meal - the turkey and pudding perhaps. However, really it doesn't cost anymore to have just one extra person for a meal or even to stop, as people always buy too much at Christmas, So perhaps she would like it to be just her, her husband and children for a change. I decided to spend Christmas alone during the pandemic and now do every year from choice. I love being able to eat what I like, when I like and do what I want. Presumably you are talking about next Christmas, so have plenty of time to prepare yourself. You don't have to be alone, lots of place host Christmas meals and would welcome you there either as a guest or a volunteer.  
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Since my husband died I've spent every Christmas alone. No children and no invites. It's no fun at all and very lonely so I would definitely encourage communication with your daughter to come to a solution 
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure