Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my daughter she needn't have me over next Christmas?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Since my husband died, I've spent Christmases with one of my daughters and her family. This year, she said several times how expensive hosting is now, and I felt she'd rather just have been with her husband and kids. Should I volunteer to stay at home on my own next year to spare her the expense, even though I'd probably feel lonely?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Could you do Christmas with the other daughter instead? 
  • anxiousnow
    anxiousnow Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Assuming she invited you, and you didn't just rock up?  :D  

Other ideas to opting out and spending it alone:

Are you in a position to host?

Could you offer to bring a dish or help out with the food somehow?

Is there an opportunity to alternate with the other daughter you've mentioned?

There's every chance she didn't mean her comment about the expense of hosting quite like that. 
    I can't remember ever choosing that username!
    Hobbies include chasing best interest rates to maximise savings, trying to overpay the mortgage, and growing my own veg. 
  • coffee_cake
    coffee_cake Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you able to contribute in a small way, e.g. buying the pudding or another part of the meal?  Obviously depending on your finances as well.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My sister and I are both single without children and therefore return to our parents most Christmas', its an expensive time with all the eating and drinking, we bring whatever we drink and give a financial contribution to the food so you could try this.

On another point I know its different for everyone but an alone Christmas is a delight for me, do what you want and eat what you want!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Florafauna
    Florafauna Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chip in with some cash or offer to buy the turkey /drinks etc
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Or you could offer to contribute something like some food/drink or cash? She may not have meant it like that but if you have other daughters why are you going to the same one each year? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,697 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January at 9:17PM
    Options
    Ever thought about talking to her and clarifying?

Instead of deciding now that you'd sit at home feeling lonely if you didn't go to your daughter, you could always volunteer to go and help someone less fortunate than yourself...
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback