IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private parking fines

Options
Hello Everyone

I just joined here coz I believe it's a good platform to discuss your issues openly. 

Recently I got 2 parking tickets from private parking companies, which I'm describing below. I'd be happy to get food suggestions as lots of experience people are here. 

1) this one from euro car park. The incident happened on 22th Dec . I parked in front of a shop, which was closed and I left the parking in just 5 minutes & my emergency lights were on. In the letter, it also shows I was there for 5 minutes. 
but I received the letter on 8th Jan and it was issued on 4th Jan. As I received after 14 days, will it be countable?  Also, as it's only for 5 mins, is it forceful by law? 

They sent me letter with just postcode and no specific location. They also sent me front two pictures of car reg plate, nothing else.  Therefore, I'm not sure, where I parked my car & also I can't gather any evidence against it. Also, there is no specific evidence that, i parked in that property, as there is no address and no clear picture of car parked in their property. I don't even remember if there was any parking guidelines there. 

They even lied to me. By email, they claimed the shop was open and I should have been registered in the kiosk. But when I appealed to them, they rejected saying, I parked while the establishment was closed. Can I take any action for providing false information? 

It'd be helpful if you can guide me on this. I'll share the other parking ticket issues later. 

Thank everyone
Sammy25uk

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will no doubt have read the Newbies thread to check how to proceed?

What are "emergency lights"?  Was there an emergency?

Do you mean hazard warning lights?

Were you obstructing traffic in some way?

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lighting-requirements.html
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sammy25uk said:
    I received the letter on 8th Jan and it was issued on 4th Jan. As I received after 14 days, will it be countable?
    The DVLA allow a parking company up to six months to get keeper details from them.
    The parking company's trade association allows them another month to get a Notice to Keeper to the keeper.
    So yes, it is 'countable'.

However, whether it it is capable of transferring any driver's liability to the keeper is a different question. The answer to that can be found in the opening post of the NEWBIES thread.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January at 9:42PM
    Options
    It is not a fine, private or otherwise.

Further to what KeithP said, did you reveal the driver's identity when you appealed? If so, the NTK arriving too late to be PoFA compliant is irrelevant because they can now hold the driver liable.

That doesn't mean you should pay, but you do need to read the NEWBIES to determine what you should do next.

Please also confirm the full name of the parking company as there are several with Euro and Park in them.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Sammy25uk
    Sammy25uk Posts: 47 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, it was hazard warning light, as i came to know, it should be used when i park for short period of time. 

Can i not park for 5 minutes, is it against the law?

My main question is, they lied to me. In the email, they told me, they talked to the shop and they told it was open, but in the letter, it said, it was closed. Its false & contradictory information.

Beside, they didn't provide any address, only postcode, can they do it? They didn't even send any clear picture, just front pic of my reg. How do i know, where i parked & there was parking restriction? Front reg pic just doesn't mean, i parked in illegal parking, i might have parked in the legal area, where there was no parking restriction.

The company name is : Euro parking services

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January at 11:02PM
    Options
    Hazard warning lights should only be used to warn other road users of a hazard. They do not mean you can park for free, or ignore parking terms and conditions. 

You can park for five minutes if parking is permitted. It is not against the law/not illegal on private land, although however it may breach parking terms, or be considered a trespass.

The parking industry is unregulated so it can do anything they want, although if it went to court a judge would consider lies and inadequate particulars of claim.

Please answer the other questions already asked of you, but since you have already appeared, you are now in ignore mode unless you get a letter of/before claim because you are dealing with an IPC member that does not offer an independent second stage appeals process.

Isn't it a good job I asked you to confirm the name of the parking company, otherwise the regulars might have though you were dealing with Euro Car Parks, which is a BPA member where you might have stood a chance of winning at the PoPLA stage?

You need to get stuck into reading the sticky Announcement for NEWBIES and get photos of the site and signage where you think the alleged event occurred, after enacting Plan A.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just do what the NEWBIES thread says.

You are sure it's Euro Parking Services not Euro Car Parks that your first post said?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Sammy25uk
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, Euro parking services, it was my mistake to write Euro car parking.
  • Sammy25uk
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can i edit my 1st thread in order to post the correct name of the operator?

• oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sammy25uk said:
    Yes, it was hazard warning light, as i came to know, it should be used when i park for short period of time

Can i not park for 5 minutes, is it against the law?

My main question is, they lied to me. In the email, they told me, they talked to the shop and they told it was open, but in the letter, it said, it was closed. Its false & contradictory information.

Beside, they didn't provide any address, only postcode, can they do it? They didn't even send any clear picture, just front pic of my reg. How do i know, where i parked & there was parking restriction? Front reg pic just doesn't mean, i parked in illegal parking, i might have parked in the legal area, where there was no parking restriction.

The company name is : Euro parking services

No they shouldn't.

As regards editing a post you can't do so on the first post on a thread.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First of all, these are not fines a private parking company can not issue fines.

There is no "law" on parking on private land so the 5 minutes/whatever minutes is meaningless the private parking industry makes up its own rules to suit its own needs and those needs are to make as much money from motorists as possible, likewise the so called 14 day limit or any other limit should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Next up you should never identify, or attempt to identify the driver , never use terms such as I parked or I did, or even he, she, brother, husband, sister, wife, mother, father, friend.

You do not need to pay Private parking charges, however in your opening post you have created a few unnecessary challenges for yourself if you want this to go away without costing you.

A few Questions:

Have you said anything to the parking company? if so what exactly ?
    Whos car park was this/where was it?
     The newbies thread mentions a landowner complaint, the landowner is jointly and severally liable for the actions of its agents such as a parking company
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback