We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

+++ Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do realise that your diary is going to turn into a gardening thread don't you?!

I have mowed 🥱 and put the mowings on the compost heap, turning as I go (the last batch needs some brown from one of the builders' bags adding and turning again). I did the edges at the same time, so it looks quite tidy apart from all the dying weeds.

I've also moved a hydrangea that needed to come out, but am restraining myself from moving the other half dozen shrubs that need relocating. I've also dug up forget me nots and shoved them in with the raspberries as apparently they make good companion plants. Oh, and weeded the bit of the border by the drive that's been annoying me. Garden waste bins are empty, so I'm leaving the weeds (mine, and the ones the gardener dug up on Friday) to dry out in builders' bags and will fill the bins before they next go out. 

I've moved one hellebore that wasn't happy where it had been put, planted two more given to me by a neighbour, and replanted the crocuses dug up by the gardener when he dug over the border. 

Just when I'd got that done, we had some gusty wind and a short shower. However it appears to be over so I really should go back out and plant the cosmos and nicotiana that are desperate to escape their seed trays!
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have just done a big catch up on this and I love the idea of gardening flylady. Also a lot more likely to happen for me than any household flylady activities!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm waiting for the thread to appear... clearly there is lots I need to do in the garden, but I'd prefer a list ;) I've cut up half the carpet that has been decorating the drive for weeks and shoved it in the bin if that counts?

I did think that I should make Sunday feeding day for greenhouse, indoor, and outdoor plants. 
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Done - on the gardening board here

I needed to think of a name, and actually switch my laptop on.  Too hard to do from the phone.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Too cold and wet to play in the garden, and I am sulking because the slugs finally killed the last cucumber and 2 of the 4 courgettes. Worst slugs in years - fairly mild winter and all the rain I guess.

I did go into the R4nge to see if I could get anything for warding off slugs - but the gift card they sent me as an apology for their incompetence didn't work at the till...

MrM for salad and all of the cheese, which triggered some free cream doughnuts.  It would have been rude to refuse. 

Ate said doughnut whilst completing some surveys - really good run on them after not having been on for weeks.
  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What a state from R4nge! Hope your laptop is powered up tomorrow for a stern email!
  • redofromstart
    Options
    What a state from R4nge! Hope your laptop is powered up tomorrow for a stern email!
    Oh I sent the email on the way back. And then today I messaged the customer service what sap thing - both ignored despite the response within 4 hours claim. New Wilko and the Range both on my never again list. 
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    What a shame. It's stories like this that if I had shares in a company I would pull them out before the company went under. Fair enough mess ups happen, but when something goes wrong then the thing to rectify it goes wrong then they don't respond to two different attempts at communication within their own guidelines... that's screaming this is a company that isn't lasting much longer isn't it
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I suspect you are right PiP. they emailed me today to ask exactly what has happened.  Exactly the things in the complaint message you are responding to fools.  Anyway I shall waste no more time or energy on them.  

The weekend has mostly been garden stuff, lots of short burst activity and I now have pockets of reasonable borders. Reading about others weeding problems I am actually grateful that mine is mostly sticky weed, mainly thanks to mr fluffy pants who reluctantly spreads it around on his trousers. 

My mission to bake my way through the Mary Berry book that came with the mixer continues, lemon shortbread yesterday (and a huge pot of lemon curd) to use up the lemon stash, and some very nice cheese scones today with some lancashire. 

His pensions arrived and I have shuffled money, which made me focus on thinking about future sources of income.  Some research done and some ideas on the go.   PA is not the answer, although I was doing quite nicely this week but note they have been the subject of a cyber attack with payments currently suspended which is fair enough.
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Oh my word that baking sounds delicious. Any chance of you moving to North London and being a neighbour who needs to get rid of any excess? 😁
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback