Hyperjar Cashback offer in MSE email Dec 2023

Comments

• drspa44
    drspa44 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 February at 1:03PM
    EDIT: the next working day after challenging my missing cashback, they emailed to apologise and offer the original cashback payment as originally explained to me. They also said, "we are taking steps to ensure that our terms and conditions are clearer in the future and that our agents are better aware, particularly regarding what constitutes a qualifying cash transaction". For transparency, my original rant is below:

Even the new terms and conditions they've written are ambiguous. Writing "(ie A,B,C, etc)" is the sort of loose language that will only cause bad reviews and disputes later on. Why wouldn't they just publish the list of MCCs that are excluded? 'Money transfers' is also very vague - every single card transaction involves the transfer of money from one entity to another. Lastly, the fact these still come under the banner, 'general spending restrictions' implies that it is impossible to use the Hyperjar card to make any such payment. The implication is that if the payment was approved and went through, it is not restricted. "Cashback will not be paid on the following MCC codes..." would solve this problem.

Under the current offer, one could buy £13,333 of gold bullion, tuition fees, cars/boats/vehicles, art, possibly even a house. These are 100% the purchase of goods or services. I expect if anyone tries this, they would again update their terms and refuse the cashback.

Chase gets around this by publishing a full list and capping the cashback to £15. My guess is the marketing team launched this promotion in December without having anyone with legal or financial experience read over the terms. They expected people to not spend much and therefore there was no need to brief their customer service people. Then a week ago, they looked at the transactions that had gone through and just crossed out the expensive ones, figuring that most people wouldn't challenge them. Given I lost out on cashback I could have achieved through another provider, as well as lost interest, I am challenging it.

• blitzkrieg333
    blitzkrieg333 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 February at 8:10PM
    Same here. Received the email confirming I am eligible for the 1.5%/2.5% cashback.

I want to make good use of this offer but from experience does anyone know if any Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) are excluded from the cashback offer?

Also, I am wary of using them for purchases where I might need some sort of protection against the merchant like S75 or Chargeback. Does anyone know how HyperJar handles chargeback claims.
    Thanks in advance.
    @drspa44 I share your frustration. That's why I asked for a list of MCCs excluded from the offer because it wasn't clear from HyperJar's T&Cs. Personally, I would take them to FOS if they don't honour their promised cashback. I have spent a lot since the past month and can still spend a lot more but this has left a bad taste in the mouth. I am not sure if I would want to take them on the offer now, if they are not going to honour it in the end.
  • drspa44
    Same here. Received the email confirming I am eligible for the 1.5%/2.5% cashback.

I want to make good use of this offer but from experience does anyone know if any Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) are excluded from the cashback offer?

Also, I am wary of using them for purchases where I might need some sort of protection against the merchant like S75 or Chargeback. Does anyone know how HyperJar handles chargeback claims.
    Thanks in advance.
    @drspa44 I share your frustration. That's why I asked for a list of MCCs excluded from the offer because it wasn't clear from HyperJar's T&Cs. Personally, I would take them to FOS if they don't honour their promised cashback. I have spent a lot since the past month and can still spend a lot more but this has left a bad taste in the mouth. I am not sure if I would want to take them on the offer now, if they are not going to honour it in the end.

If you don't mind sharing, could you share how much you received in cashback this month?
    Thanks.
    What was their response when you originally asked for a list of MCCs?

I received 29p - substantially less than what I was expecting as these were mostly just test transactions.
  • drspa44 said:

Thanks in advance.
    What was their response when you originally asked for a list of MCCs?

I received 29p - substantially less than what I was expecting as these were mostly just test transactions.
    I was told by CS over the chat that I will receive an email with a list of MCCs excluded from the offer, but that email never came through.
  • Zopa_Trooper
    Zopa_Trooper Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Be middle of March until I find out whether my January spending is going to get the full cash back. Should be around £140. I'm not spending using the card until I see if I get it or not. However I've not really gambled that much. Would have got £15 from CHASE, and then a bit more from AMEX at 0.5%. I went back to CHASE for this month's bonus but that runs out end of March too so it seems like the free money on spends is about to end.
  • drspa44
    edited 21 February at 2:42AM
    Hyperjar wrote back to me apologising for the miscommunication and agreeing to honor the cashback offer as explained to me originally. I haven't received the payment yet, but their email appears sincere and I am confident they are making it right.

I would still advise others to seek clarification from customer support before making a large transaction (e.g. buying a car or gold or anything that might be a bit abnormal).

UPDATE: cashback now paid out in full for December, as promised :)
  • Rawrzy
    Rawrzy Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I did enough spending to get into the 2.5% bracket last month so we'll see what I get out of it. In my case I don't think anything should be considered controversial since it was just general purchases, no utility bills or anything, nor would it end up being that high, probably max of around £30-40 cashback.
  • drspa44
    Hyperjar have updated the terms and conditions for their current offering. In theory this should not affect people in this thread who agreed to the terms stated in December. In practice, you might need to chase them anyway if you made any of the purchases listed here: https://hyperjar.com/tcs-202402-offer

• Spend on any Kids’ Cards paired to an adult account (or any subsidiary card paired to the account holder’s account)
    • Buying HyperJar Cashback Vouchers or HyperVouchers
    • Combining with any other HyperJar offers or rewards
    • Loads into your HyperJar account
    • Account and prepaid card funding
    • Council Tax & utilities bill payments
    • Investments
    • HMRC and other tax payments
    • Government services not classified elsewhere
    • Debt repayments
    • Antique shops, including repairs and restoration
    • Art dealers and galleries
    • Bail and bond payments
    • Bank fees such as product fees, promotional merchandise, financial consultations and loan fees
    • Boat dealers
    • Car, motorcycle and van dealers - new and used sales, services, repairs, parts and leasing
    • College and university fees
    • Cryptocurrencies
    • Gambling transactions
    • Insurance sales, underwriting and premiums
    • Intra-government purchases
    • Money orders
    • Money transfers
    • MoneySend transactions
    • Motor home, camper and trailer dealers
    • Nursing and personal care facilities
    • Pawnbrokers
    • Precious metals
    • Professional and financial services
    • Estate agency and management fees
    • Savings bonds
    • Securities — stocks, bonds, commodities, and mutual funds
    • Stamp and coin stores
    • Timeshares
    • Travellers Cheques and foreign currency

• GreenScepter
    GreenScepter Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 March at 1:48AM
    Apparently they extended the offer, it's open to new customers again if you sign up before the 31st March. Not sure when that happened but the most recent T&Cs update was on the 29th of February. The rate is lower though, 1% up to £500 and then 1.5% above that. Maximum £200 cashback. Seems to have gone under the radar a bit.

Main website has the details in a banner, seems open to everyone (not a MSE exclusive link)
    https://hyperjar.com/
  • Zopa_Trooper
    Zopa_Trooper Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well I haven't received the expected cashback from January, not a sausage. Last time they paid out on 14th. Has my little gamble backfired or maybe it will be later this month because of the shortness of February. Better give it until Monday I suppose. Anybody else had anything this month?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback