Sainsburys Bank ATM Faulty or Cash Trapping Scam

Options
djh
djh Posts: 76 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

I went to an ATM at a Sainsbury Large Supermarket to withdraw cash.

The ATM was Sainsburys Bank .I used my Nationwide Flexplus Card to withdraw £70 with a receipt .The cash appeared in the slot I removed the receipt and card went to remove the cash and it shot back into the ATM faster than "Ronny Barkers Till in Open ALL Hours"

Believing I might be the victim of some scam I went on to make 2 successful withdrawals of £10.

I have made complaints to Nationwide and Sainsburys Bank who on checking the ATM did not find a problem or the £70 .They did a check and found the ATM to be only "£10 Over".

This is the first time this has happened to me in over 40 years of ATM use.

The only options left as I see it is complain to the Banking Ombudsman or make an insurance claim.

I would be interested to know if this has happened to others? 

Comments

• sausage_time
    Options
    Does the £70 show on your account as a processed transaction (not pending)?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    As @sausage_time says, it's only an issue if the £70 you failed to withdraw is debited from your account. 

Is there such a debit showing on your account? Are the two £10 debits showing correctly? 
  • MrFrugalFever
    Options
    There is CCTV above every ATM, this would help in the investigation.

The best way forward is to avoid withdrawing cash ;)
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 November 2023 at 1:14PM
    Options
    What's showing in your app?

My friend walked off without taking the cash once, it was credited back to his account eventually but it took a few weeks.
  • djh
    Options
    When I raised the complaint to Nationwide they refunded the £70 with the proviso that when they raised it with the ATM owner if they found no discrepancy they would redebit which they have.  
  • djh
    Options
    There is CCTV above every ATM, this would help in the investigation.

The best way forward is to avoid withdrawing cash ;)
    I asked about cctv they said they did not always have them or could be a dummy. I do not often use a cash machine these days .I will probably be using them less now.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    djh said:
    When I raised the complaint to Nationwide they refunded the £70 with the proviso that when they raised it with the ATM owner if they found no discrepancy they would redebit which they have.  
    You still haven't said what is showing on your account. A receipt does not mean it was debited from your account if the machine took it back in, though it could potentially appear as a debit then a re-credit.
  • djh
    edited 30 November 2023 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Regarding the cctv issue I would like to see the video of the incident (if there is one ) just to confirm I am not going out of my mind.When you pursue a matter like this self doubt begins to take hold,well it has in my case.

All is not lost though as I was £200 up (£130 now) as I have just transferred an account to Nationwide.
  • djh
    Options
    djh said:
    You still haven't said what is showing on your account. A receipt does not mean it was debited from your account if the machine took it back in, though it could potentially appear as a debit then a re-credit.
    Yes it has been debited.
    Difficult to know how often this happens,never happened to me before and I have no proof I did not get the cash
  • retiredbanker1
    Options
    djh said:
    djh said:
    Yes it has been debited.
    Difficult to know how often this happens,never happened to me before and I have no proof I did not get the cash
    Raise a complaint with your bank - it will be cheaper for them to pay you the £70 than investigate properly.
    As you have been with them for 40 years I am surprised that they did not just refund you and close the matter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback