We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sainsburys Bank ATM Faulty or Cash Trapping Scam

Options

Comments

• djh
    djh Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 December 2023 at 4:45PM
    Options
    I very much look forward to hearing the details of the eventual outcome and resolution.
    I will update.
    It seems to me there is a "back story" to this that I do not understand at the moment.
  • retiredbanker1
    Options
    In my experience these false fronts on ATM's don't actually steal your cash (that goes into the back of the machine as a mis dispense) but rather small cameras get your card details and your PIN - so the crooks almost immediately will clone the card and go on a spending spree.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,715 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2023 at 2:35AM
    Options
    In my experience these false fronts on ATM's don't actually steal your cash (that goes into the back of the machine as a mis dispense) but rather small cameras get your card details and your PIN - so the crooks almost immediately will clone the card and go on a spending spree.
    You're conflating two historic types of fraud, neither are possible any more unless you can find a way of getting something to authorise using the magnetic stripe details (+ signature in the case of a card present/in person merchant).
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I find it amazing that the bad guys can design and make a mechanical device that fits on the outside of a cash machine sufficiently well to not be obvious. Maybe they should try applying those engineering skills to something legal!
  • djh
    Options
    A had a similar experience a few years ago where I attempted to withdraw some cash from a Halifax machine (my bank was HSBC)  It didn't pay out, but my account was debited. The attempts to resolve were extremely long winded mainly due to the fact there were two banks involved. HSBC insisted they had to wait for Halifax to conclude their investigations, which never actually happened. 

In the end the staff in my local branch at HSBC just refunded me with never actually getting an answer from Halifax as they were satisfied that I wasn't making it up and my previous long relationship with the branch "vouched" for me.

Their advice was - if at all possible, use your own bank's ATM's as it is much easier to resolve any error "in house".

Interesting to get a reply regarding a similar experience.Definitely "long winded" .My issue is odd in the fact that the cash was dispensed, I even got my thumb and forefinger on the notes before it was "snatched back" .I did not notice anything untoward with the ATM and a further two transactions of single £10 were correct.The ATM operator has rejected my complaint (nothing wrong with ATM ) and yet the local store manager confirms there was a device found.I could further complain to Sainsbury (supermarket) but already have complaints in with  the Ombudsman and  and  Police (Action Fraud-- allow 28 days for reply)
    Again,the reason for these posts is to assist others in the future who may have a similar issue.

• djh
    edited 12 December 2023 at 4:59PM
    Options
    I very much look forward to hearing the details of the eventual outcome and resolution.

An update from the financial ombudsman below (extract) There is also a brand new sign by the ATMS about CCTV camera coverage.

What happens next

Now that we’ve received your complaint, the next step is for us to ask the business you’re complaining about for its records. When we receive this, your case will be taken forward. An Investigator will usually be in touch within two to three months. It could be more – or less – time than this, depending on what your complaint is about, but be assured we are working to speed things up. They’ll let you know they are working on your complaint and will then consider all the circumstances before giving you their answer.

• djh
    Options
    I am reporting back as promised earlier in this post.

Well ,I have finally received a reply from the Financial Ombudsman who has concluded they cannot investigate the complaint re Sainsburys Bank as I used a Nationwide Card so I need to take it back to Nationwide ( if I have understood this correctly)
    I will post my reply and their response below.

"Regarding my complaint to say I was unhappy with your decision would be an understatement - off the scale. 
    Sainsbury Bank must have some responsibility for the upkeep and security of the ATMS on the premises of the Sainsbury Supermarket Group. 
    I was informed by the Store duty Manager "Billy" with another store employee as a witness that the ATM I had used had been "tampered with" and a device had been found trapping the notes in the ATM. 
    He also told me that the store was holding a substantial sum of customers cash that had been found in the ATM in question. 
    I would be interested to hear where I can take this to, as this cannot be a normal transaction - my £70 must be somewhere -as I certainly do not have it."

Ombudsman Response to above.

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the outcome that I reached. I appreciate your frustration with Sainsbury's and also that your £70 is missing. 
    Unfortunately, as I explained below, there's very little I can do as the rules we're governed by stipulate that I cannot investigate your complaint against Sainsbury's as you don't meet the definition of an eligible complainant.  
    In all disputed cash withdrawal cases we deal with, the customer's complaint is about their bank (rather than the ATM provider) as ultimately there's where the disputed funds have been taken from. If you're unhappy that your bank are unwilling to refund the missing £70, I'd advise you to speak to them about this and await their response. If you remain unhappy, you have the right to refer a complaint once you've spoken to them. 
    I hope I've explained a bit more clearly why I can't investigate your complaint against Sainsbury's. If you have any further questions please let me know.

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 January at 4:28PM
    Options
    Annoying, but kind of makes sense, since it was your Nationwide account the money was taken from.

The FOS will be bound by the regulations (eg, you can't make a complaint against a company of which you have no relationship), so you'll have to open a complaint with The Nationwide, and then take that to the FOS if/when they don't deliver.
  • djh
    Options
    Annoying, but kind of makes sense, since it was your Nationwide account the money was taken from.

The FOS will be bound by the regulations (you can't make a complaint against a company of which you are not a customer), so you'll have to open a complaint with The Nationwide, and then take that to the FOS if/when they don't deliver.
    Thanks for the reply.
    It certainly seems that way.I am failing to understand why Sainsburys Bank have informed me the ATM was operating correctly and rejected my complaint, when the actual staff on site said the ATM had been tampered with.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback