UC claim review

Options
SUPERGIRL2020
SUPERGIRL2020 Posts: 281 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 20 November 2023 at 4:48PM in Benefits & tax credits
I claim UC.

Tofay I logged into my UC online Journal and seen a message saying they want to do a claim review. What does that mean? 

They are asking me to upload photo ID and 4 months of bank statements. 
Is this normal?  

Comments

• Jyana
    Jyana Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes it's normal. They seem to be doing this with a fair amount of people at the moment.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    Jyana said:
    Yes it's normal. They seem to be doing this with a fair amount of people at the moment.
    Seems a bit strange wanting bank statements! I get them wanting photo ID but not the bank statements 🤷‍♀️
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    The bank statements request is all part of these reviews and they usually ask for 4 months. UC is a means tested benefit and they are wanting to check that you don't have savings of more £6,000.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    SUPERGIRL2020 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 November 2023 at 7:46PM
    Options
    Ok thats good to know!
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,046 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes and the reason for 4 months is in case you won the big lottery 3 months back and shifted it to your second cousin's offshore account.  Like we all do.....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    Brie said:
    Yes and the reason for 4 months is in case you won the big lottery 3 months back and shifted it to your second cousin's offshore account.  Like we all do.....
    Might help if I even played the lottery 😂
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The bank statements request is all part of these reviews and they usually ask for 4 months. UC is a means tested benefit and they are wanting to check that you don't have savings of more £6,000.
    Although if you have three current accounts, assorted savings accounts, and then send them statements from just one it’s not going to be the most effective way of checking. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    They are doing 2 million of these checks, with just over 5 million on UC that's a big percentage. 

I had one myself a few months back. 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    elsien said:
    Although if you have three current accounts, assorted savings accounts, and then send them statements from just one it’s not going to be the most effective way of checking. 
    Indeed which is why I didn’t advise they do that. 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    elsien said:
    Presumably from data matching they'll know whether a person's sent statements for all the accounts they hold.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback