We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How old is your handset?

Options
MSE_Laura_F
MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,582 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
This question was discussed in 2006 and again in 2017, with answers ranging from, 'I change my handset every 2-3 months' to '10 years old and going strong'.

How have things changed in 2023?

Let us know: how old is the mobile handset you currently use?

🗣️📱

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am in the change it every 2-3 years, although that could be longer now with some Android providers extending out the guarantee of upgrades past that point and security updates even further.

I do wonder if the people in the longer range are staying within the mobile providers security update lifecycle or even know what that is.
  • ididgetwhereiamtoday
    Options
    Mine is a XS so 5 years old though I only bought it  1 year ago. I always go for a top of the range handset but only second hand as I can’t bring myself to drop £1000 on a handset. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 12,067 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    400ixl said:
    I am in the change it every 2-3 years, although that could be longer now with some Android providers extending out the guarantee of upgrades past that point and security updates even further.

I do wonder if the people in the longer range are staying within the mobile providers security update lifecycle or even know what that is.
    In Jan of this year Apple did an update for iOS12 which was the last OS that 5s that was released in 2013. They've done several security updates for iOS15 which was the last OS for the 6s that was released in 2015. So you can use their devices for a lot longer and still be secure. 

Personally I normally change every 3-4 years, this time I upgraded early (after 2 years) due to accidental damage and it just made sense to replace it rather than repair it (which would have been a replacement anyway)
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,587 Forumite
    Options
    My phone is just under three years old (iPhone 12). Still on 89% battery health and receiving regular updates. 
    I'm just beginning to notice an occasional slight slowness, so I'm going to try a factory reset. If that works I'll probably keep the phone for another year or so.
  • rancid-a
    rancid-a Posts: 393 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pixel 2. Not sure how old that is, 6 years? It's being replaced on Thursday with a Pixel 8 pro
    Sealed Pot Challenge 15  #78

Debt Free: July 2022.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    Mine is a pixel 6 which I got just over a year ago. I'd like to upgrade to a Pixel 8 but I'll try and wait until August next year when the contract ends.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Homepage Hero First Post
    Options
    Mine is only a year old at the moment - it was replacing a second hand phone I'd had for 5 years that no longer recieved security updates (and hadn't for some time!). The old phone was starting to get a bit sluggish, but still worked, I just wanted peace of mind for my banking apps once I realised it wasn't being updated. 

I have a tablet I use at home for the majority of things, so I tend to go for a lower spec cheaper phone as it doesn't get that much use. 
  • flamingo747
    Options
    I actually don't know, as hubby bought it second hand and I usually have all his hand-me-down handsets as my upgrade (sim only plan). Its a Samsung galaxy S10e, released in 2019 so likely 4 years old. I don't care about being trendy or fancy features as I am neither cool nor a gamer. 
    Married 40y.o. mum of an autistic 11y.o. Carer/SAHM.
    OS '24 Fashion On The Ration: 0(34 preloved)/67 coupons used - OS '24 Declutter Challenge: 633/500 items gone 🏅 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 - Now aiming for 750!
    Feb GC: (1st-29th inc) £161.45/£495
     ((OS 2023 Decluttering: 740 items 🏅 🏅 🏅  🌟 . OS 2023 Fashion on the ration: 14/15 used))

• MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,582 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've had my Pixel for four years now. The last two years I've been on a SIM-only contract. It's served me well, but it's getting to the stage now that it sometimes shuts itself down and restarts. Might be time for a new one.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The phone I'm currently using is ~ 15 years old and only accesses 2G !! So no mobile internet.
     I have recently purchased a much more modern handset and I'm testing out cheap SIMs to allow us to use wifi calling when Openreach switch off PSTN here next Spring, in case we can't find a suitable VOIP solution. Not bothered by usage allowance as I still carry out all my main tasks via either the desktop PC or a cheap tablet
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback