🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

An in-between phase

Options

Comments

• WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    That’s a scary article! Thanks for sharing. 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £1000 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 3 lb’s so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,237 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 May at 6:32AM
    Options
    I did read that article, but my preference is still to try & maintain a 10-hour 'eating window' where possible. It does seem to be one of the things which helps manage the inflammatory bowel disease I was diagnosed with last year, as well as the grumbling gallstone. And that's without improvements in insulin control & weight maintenance, which are the reason I first decided to try it.
    I think there are negatives to most dietary schemes. I.e In the 1980s/90s, it was all 'low-fat', which meant 'diet products' stuffed with artificial sweeteners to try & make them more palatable - probably led to swathes of women in my generation deficient in essential omega fats. Calories another point of contention.....1000 calories of chocolate & UPF doesn't have the same effect on a body as 1000 calories of nutritious, fibre-rich food containing a good mix of fruit & vegetables. Similarly with TRE, some people will eat their existing processed diet within their chosen time window (usually 8 or 10 hours though some do 12) whereas others will already be eating a much better unprocessed diet or using TRE as a springboard to changing to one.
    Interesting to read the various studies.
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The biggest issue with TRE over the recent years is that it’s been billed as a “healthy lifestyle choice” rather than as what it is for almost all who do it - a diet. If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it’s probably a rat - and this is also true of diets!  Interesting that the study referred to has actually found negative health outcomes, although obviously without seeing a lot more information about it it’s not possible to truly understand the quality of the study and therefore the reliability of the results.  Ultimately of course, the one thing we have incontrovertible proof of is that diets essentially don’t work for most people - and for those who they do appear to be long-term effective for, they almost always continue to apply to “diet” as an ongoing thing anyway - either by restricting food intake on a regular basis, by a rigid programme of exercise done for weight control purposes rather than purely for enjoyment, or by making habitual food “swaps”. The proof of this is of course in the sheer number of those using the likes of WW and SW who have done it numerous times and still go back to pay their money again - diet companies literally make their money off the back of their “product” being ineffective! 😂

I’m beyond frustrated that you are still being mucked about over the build PiP - although the move will obviously make life in general better for you even just from the point of view of being able to live together rather than separately, it still isn’t long term solution in the way that being able to just get the go ahead for your build would be! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Ah, now that's an interesting take on TRE, @EssexHebridean, because I don't see it as a 'diet' & DO regard it more as a tweak to my lifestyle which may, in fact, (as I mentioned with regards to a condition I was diagnosed with following my illness last Spring) provide benefits.  Even the big TRE supporters & studiers concur that weight loss is likely to be fairly limited unless one's overall diet is also changed to a healthier one, & that has certainly been my experience. TRE does seem to assist me a little with weight loss, but only as an additional tool. I wouldn't lose more than a few lbs in weight without also practising some form of calorie restriction - our preferred method being Judith Wills' 'Traffic Lights' which as an overall eating plan is about as sensible as a 'diet' can be. 
    I think it comes down very much to personal choice. Last year, it looked as though I may require bowel surgery. I didn't. I am managing the condition & trying a number of things, as one does when one is told something is uncurable. I haven't had any further flare-ups since Spring last year. Now that may just be coincidence, my lucky hap or any one or a combination of the various things I am trying. TRE (for most of the time) is one of those things so yes, it is a lifestyle choice & one I am happy to continue until I become convinced from my own experiences that it is definitely NOT a helpful factor in my health. This is an interesting discussion which rather reminded me of the food combining diets which were popular in the 1980s & early 90s. There were plenty of promotors who were evangelical about them. I read up on them, as find this kind of thing interesting, & my own views went more with the detractors, who said that there was no scientific evidence for separating carbohydrates & proteins at meal times & never eating them together, especially as many healthy foods, such as pulses, of course, contain both. So this absolutely wasn't going to be for me. However, for those people who chose to follow it & felt that they were less bloated, or this or that digestive issue seemed to have improved, fair play to them & as with everything, it's down to reading up on a range of evidence from different sources & making an informed, personal choice. 
    I'll sign off with some diet advice I received from my Nana back when I was in my teens....(I kid you not!) "You need to spend a week eating only hard boiled eggs & grapefruits". The look on my face must have been a picture because she followed it up with the 'science'......apparently the grapefruits dissolve one's excess fat which is then absorbed by the hardboiled eggs & exits one's system via the usual method. Hmmm! I can recall my other Grandma complaining that those 'Limmits' biscuits (you'll need to be my age or older, I think to remember those) didn't work. Turned out she was eating all her normal food then eating the slimming biscuits as well!  How magic would that have been?!
    I shall get off your diary now, @Pip!
    F x

"For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm with your Grandma @foxgloves, magical slimming biscuits must exist, they must! 
    We just haven't found the right ones yet 😁

Interesting chat about dietary methods ☺

• PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Still feeling rather disjointed but have been able to get things done by breaking them into smaller chunks

Admin
    Tidying
    Receipt survey

Client job

25 minute walk, dropped off plastics recycling

Quarter wussy situps

Comping

Booked dental hygienist for before we move

Got PB money, allocated to dental appointment, stocking up on cheaper bits from Mr PIPs manor, rounded up to next £50 point in flat pot and put the rest in LISA pot

Resisted going to the pub which was particularly impressive as after tomorrow it's meant to be consistently raining for the next fortnight

Ten minute carpet walk finally finishing a challenging but interesting book. Will keep.
    Made the decision to just put another one in the ziffit pile, I've tried to be into it several times but life is too short for being a grown adult and boring yourself with homework

Got a code for a free Strawberry Colada cocktail at a Hungry Horse before 9th June I won't use so if anyone wants it DM me

Vinted listing

Ten minute walk getting free papers for the crossword

Cleaned the kitchen sink

Ten minute carpet walk reading the found glossy magazines

Time for an inherited beer and a first look at the crossword!

Have a lovely Friday evening everyone x

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,613 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy Friday enjoy your evening 🍻
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • foxgloves
    Options
    @PiP - I absolutely love how you're always finding things. In the 20+ years I've lived here, I reckon my only finds have been 2lbs of cherry plums & a metal bucket!
    Enjoy your beer & crossword.
    F x
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Cheers @Sun_Addict and @foxgloves 🍻

Cherry plums and a metal bucket sound good @foxgloves, I definitely would have had those 😁  I think living in an urban environment stuffed with people has to have some upsides! But also I do keep an eye out, including having a prod of my neighbour's recycling bin in case the wrappers that went with the McVities competition box I could see were also in there 😂 I am so classy 
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Oh that's funny! I do try & get a bit of a look into any skips I pass, but there is never anything good. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure