IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help needed: multiple tickets in a row for parking outside my own house

Options
12346»

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also tell them you are going to report them to the BPA (they are corporate members) and the SRA for obvious misrepresentation of authority, it is not a Penalty Charge Notice and they should know that unless they are incompetent!
  • happysoul99
    happysoul99 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So I've sent them a reply as instructed above @Coupon-mad
    and this is what they came back with. They're clearly dodging the question:

They also do not seem to appreciate direct emails. They quickly replied with this email, stating that the email address is not longer valid:

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! --- One of the many reasons I'll never ever consider buying any property that is not freehold! I hate property management companies, they're a complete scam as well as the "parking companies" ---- good luck

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 January at 4:50PM
    Options
    So I've sent them a reply as instructed above @Coupon-mad
    and this is what they came back with. They're clearly dodging the question:

They also do not seem to appreciate direct emails. They quickly replied with this email, stating that the email address is not longer valid:

They haven't answered.  They swerved it again.

Repeat your question or ask your MP to ask it for you.  MPs will.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Not_A_Hope
    Not_A_Hope Posts: 760 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have called the land owners to complain, and their response was that (I paraphrase): They have delegated day-to-day management of the "entire" estate to this management company. And therefore, as "directors" of the estate, they have all the powers to decide whether they wish introduce parking restrictions, without having to ask the Landowner for prior permission. The land owners have confirmed that they were not aware of any parking restrictions, and that they don't really need or want to know about such matters.
    Usually to enforce any charges on private land PPCs have to demonstrate they have the written authority of the landowner. Doesn’t sound like the landowners knew anything about this scam so cannot of signed any agreement. Perhaps a document showing they have ‘delegated authority’ might satisfy the court. Other forum members might advise. 

However as the residents of street C have voted with their feet not to purchase permits I suspect they have not been balloted on the proposed parking restrictions as they would have rejected the proposal. If so the management company have failed in their legal obligations.
  • happysoul99
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have called the land owners to complain, and their response was that (I paraphrase): They have delegated day-to-day management of the "entire" estate to this management company. And therefore, as "directors" of the estate, they have all the powers to decide whether they wish introduce parking restrictions, without having to ask the Landowner for prior permission. The land owners have confirmed that they were not aware of any parking restrictions, and that they don't really need or want to know about such matters.
    Usually to enforce any charges on private land PPCs have to demonstrate they have the written authority of the landowner. Doesn’t sound like the landowners knew anything about this scam so cannot of signed any agreement. Perhaps a document showing they have ‘delegated authority’ might satisfy the court. Other forum members might advise. 

However as the residents of street C have voted with their feet not to purchase permits I suspect they have not been balloted on the proposed parking restrictions as they would have rejected the proposal. If so the management company have failed in their legal obligations.
    When I tried to raise the matter with the landowners directly (a while back), they explicitly told me that they have "delegated authority" to the Estate Management firm, who in turn engaged the PPM, and that "there was nothing that they could do to help me".
  • Not_A_Hope
    Not_A_Hope Posts: 760 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I tried to raise the matter with the landowners directly (a while back), they explicitly told me that they have "delegated authority" to the Estate Management firm, who in turn engaged the PPM, and that "there was nothing that they could do to help me".
    But if the PPC decides they are going to take this to court they will have to prove that they have the full written authority that flows from the landowner  to put this parking scheme in place. They will also have to demonstrate they have complied with the law in terms of consultation. Sounds like they have just imposed it.
  • happysoul99
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've asked them again as instructed, and this was their reply :)

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 January at 2:43PM
    Options
    LOL at that rude penultimate paragraph!  Flipping heck, we 'internet parking gurus' (IPC's phrase) win in 99% of defended cases and they will know that.

Do you fancy reporting BW Legal to HMRC for saying that a debt recovery fee element 'isn't subject to VAT'?  They've put that In writing too which suggests (allegedly, based on this evidence) that they aren't invoicing the parking firms for the VAT element of their fee.

That's odd, given that debt recovery fees (howsoever described) ARE subject to VAT.   And BW Legal can't be operating completely free (albeit it's likely a no win no fee arrangement and VAT only comes into play on cases where the person pays it). But they are saying VAT doesn't apply!

Hmmm...let's let HMRC decide.

Does this meant that all parking DRAs are not invoicing their clients for VAT?  Hmmm...! That's not how debt recovery works in the outside world. They must be taking a fee for the 'service' (for successful cases) and the service is primarily debt recovery.

They even offer payment plans and there is no way they don't deduct a fee from the PPC's monies returned, for that service.  Here's proof of BW Legal offering payment plans:

Also, it's time to report them to the SRA for calling parking charge a penalty (misleading) and for seemingly operating without invoicing clients for VAT on the DRA fees they collect & keep, unless they suddenly prove otherwise (or I'm wrong on this, but I've looked at other DRA models and HMRC rules recently).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure