Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for a full funeral just because one of my children wants me to?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 9 May 2023 at 2:19PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I'm planning for the future and have been looking to buy a non-attended cremation for when I die, as post-life events don't hold any particular significance for me. I have three grown-up children, and two of them are fine with it, but the third gets very upset at the idea of not having a traditional funeral to say goodbye to me. Should I pay for the funeral to make them feel better, or stick with my original plan?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Any instructions you leave regarding your funeral are just wishes and not enforceable so your children can make any arrangements they like, but there is nothing they can do to get you to pay for in advance.
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If one is that bothered ask them if they want to pay the difference. Increasingly this will become the norm. Not the paying, the non-funeral.
  • bradavon
    bradavon Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Funerals aren't about you. They're about your close family.

Their opinion matters more than theirs, you won't be here anyway.
  • Ron246235
    Ron246235 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is all the same to you but the idea of no funeral makes your third child upset, then I would say the sensible thing is to have a funeral. And if you don't mind paying for it, or you like the idea of the expense being dealt with in advance, then it would be sensible for you to pay for it.

I don't agree with Malthusian and annabanana82. Who a funeral is "for" or "about" depends on your religious views. In Christianity it is for the deceased person. For people with no religion, perhaps you could say it is for the living but about the deceased. Either way, it is easy to understand any child's wish that their parent should have a funeral. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback